Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Florida governor has the right idea

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/desant ... tifa-types

Minimum 6 month prison sentence for throwing objects at LEO, blocking roadways or toppling monuments would be a felony. He also wants to cut off state funding for any entity that defunds the police.

Personally, I would love to see the law clarified here in Texas to explicitly allow motorists to move forward at a very slow rate, say less than 5 mph if people are intentionally stopped in a roadway. Give them a chance to get out of the way of the car, but if they refuse to do so the car can still get out of there. With the increased frequency of attacks against vehicles stopped by "protests" this is an important safety issue.

Flightmare

Re: Florida governor has the right idea

Post by Flightmare »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:40 pm https://www.foxnews.com/politics/desant ... tifa-types

Minimum 6 month prison sentence for throwing objects at LEO, blocking roadways or toppling monuments would be a felony. He also wants to cut off state funding for any entity that defunds the police.

Personally, I would love to see the law clarified here in Texas to explicitly allow motorists to move forward at a very slow rate, say less than 5 mph if people are intentionally stopped in a roadway. Give them a chance to get out of the way of the car, but if they refuse to do so the car can still get out of there. With the increased frequency of attacks against vehicles stopped by "protests" this is an important safety issue.
This would need to be carefully worded as there can be reasons to legitimately block traffic. Blocking traffic for political reasons is not what I would call a "legitimate reason".

I am also good with codifying that cities/counties that choose to "defund police" should be forced to take a commensurate reduction in their budget. If they decide that they don't need that money for public safety, then quit taking it from their constituents.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philip964 »

I've decided we need to move to banishment. Break certain laws. Give them the choice of jail or banishment for the same time frame.

Get arrested for stopping traffic for a protest, get a year in jail or a year in another country. Your choice.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Flightmare wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:53 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:40 pm https://www.foxnews.com/politics/desant ... tifa-types

This would need to be carefully worded as there can be reasons to legitimately block traffic. Blocking traffic for political reasons is not what I would call a "legitimate reason".

I am also good with codifying that cities/counties that choose to "defund police" should be forced to take a commensurate reduction in their budget. If they decide that they don't need that money for public safety, then quit taking it from their constituents.
This could be accomplished with a blanket exception for any LEO controlled intersections, etc. You could probably include other specified exceptions as well to cover other valid reasons for temporarily blocking traffic.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

When I was working on an ambulance 2yrs ago I was taking a very sick child from an outlying hospital to Dallas children's Hospital, child had a severe respiratory pneumonia, when I picked the child up her O2 saturation was 92/93% after getting them loaded and head to dallas I kept bumping up the oxygen until the child started to cough a bit and then I'd adjust it back, doing this I managed to get the O2 sats up to 94/95% in the middle of our transport BLM decides to block hwy 35, we were 10min out and we sat there for 30min until Dallas P.D. arrived and none to gently herded them off the road! For recklessly endangering this child everyone of them should have been arrested and charged with child endangerment, I was mad then and it still makes me angry!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

crazy2medic wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:38 pm When I was working on an ambulance 2yrs ago I was taking a very sick child from an outlying hospital to Dallas children's Hospital, child had a severe respiratory pneumonia, when I picked the child up her O2 saturation was 92/93% after getting them loaded and head to dallas I kept bumping up the oxygen until the child started to cough a bit and then I'd adjust it back, doing this I managed to get the O2 sats up to 94/95% in the middle of our transport BLM decides to block hwy 35, we were 10min out and we sat there for 30min until Dallas P.D. arrived and none to gently herded them off the road! For recklessly endangering this child everyone of them should have been arrested and charged with child endangerment, I was mad then and it still makes me angry!
Political motivations are not a legitimate reason to have an unscheduled blockage of traffic. As Soccerdad1995 suggested, it is an exception when a road is blocked off for a planned event. They do it all the time for parades, funerals, and other events.

Likewise, there should be an exception for temporary blockage for individuals who are unable to be safely moved without emergency assistance (ie a person who may need urgent medical attention prior to being moved). There could also be a case where a road is experiencing flash flooding and a good samaritan is blocking a road to prevent cars from being washed away until emergency crews are able to deploy official barriers.

In each of the examples I gave for citizens blocking traffic, the reason for road blockage was to address an immediate threat to human life. Political protests are NOT aiding in the immediate threat to human life, and as you pointed out, can sometimes be a threat.

My only comment was that the wording needed to be careful so as not to accidentally make criminals of those who are actually attempting to assist in saving lives with their immediate actions.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

I really like how the sherriff explained the difference between peaceful and non-peaceful protests!

https://www.redstate.com/nick-arama/202 ... d-rioting/
J.R.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

philip964 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:00 pm I've decided we need to move to banishment. Break certain laws. Give them the choice of jail or banishment for the same time frame.

Get arrested for stopping traffic for a protest, get a year in jail or a year in another country. Your choice.
Maybe South Africa would like them.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Other States”