Why is the Texas Republican Party trying to stop drive-thru voting?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Why is the Texas Republican Party trying to stop drive-thru voting?

Post by flechero »

Russell- Coupled with voter ID it's a non-issue... but with the resistance to ID, it's ripe for bad things. As evidenced, I'm still receiving active voter ID cards for the deceased woman who once lived in my home (she died over 10 years ago) Any woman could take her voter ID card and use it unlawfully. I drop it in the shredder every time I get a new one. (I've also called to let them know she's dead but I still keep getting her voter cards.)

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 9

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Russell wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:44 pm I feel like I am missing the reason, but I honestly can't find one other than "because it's not how we've done it in the past" (which is a fallacy by the way).

As someone who is high risk, takes care of both sets of elderly parents, and whose wife is also considered high risk, I am thrilled to have the choice of drive-through voting. I am frankly not interested in standing in a contamination line.

Why is the GOP trying to fight this so hard?

I am not sure how drive through voting would work. If it is just driving through and handing your ballot to someone, there are boxes for that. If the idea is to drive up, get handed a ballot and sit there while you decide who to vote for in all the races, that would make for one very long wait. They would have to put thousands of people on such a scheme. The process sounds like it would be quite cumbersome to say the least. Traffic would be lined up for miles and miles.

There is no reason to stand in line. Just go at an odd time of day like 10:30 in the morning. Maybe wait a few days and allow the initial early voting frenzy to die down. Lunch time is usually busy. Try early afternoon, like 2-3 pm. Go to a different voting location if you see a long line. Not all voting locations are busy non-stop from morning till night. Just some ideas. Hope it helps.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

Skip the early voting. Come to my polling location on election day out here in west Houston. We have only 932 homes in our precinct. We RARELY have a line more than 10 minutes long, even on presidential election day.

Plus, since you'll be leaving your legally carried handgun behind in your car (because you cannot carry in the voting location), you can rest assured knowing that the election judge is carrying a .40 caliber Glock with two spare mags.

:txflag:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

03Lightningrocks

Russell wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:44 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:30 pm
Russell wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:44 pm I feel like I am missing the reason, but I honestly can't find one other than "because it's not how we've done it in the past" (which is a fallacy by the way).

As someone who is high risk, takes care of both sets of elderly parents, and whose wife is also considered high risk, I am thrilled to have the choice of drive-through voting. I am frankly not interested in standing in a contamination line.

Why is the GOP trying to fight this so hard?

I am not sure how drive through voting would work. If it is just driving through and handing your ballot to someone, there are boxes for that. If the idea is to drive up, get handed a ballot and sit there while you decide who to vote for in all the races, that would make for one very long wait. They would have to put thousands of people on such a scheme. The process sounds like it would be quite cumbersome to say the least. Traffic would be lined up for miles and miles.

There is no reason to stand in line. Just go at an odd time of day like 10:30 in the morning. Maybe wait a few days and allow the initial early voting frenzy to die down. Lunch time is usually busy. Try early afternoon, like 2-3 pm. Go to a different voting location if you see a long line. Not all voting locations are busy non-stop from morning till night. Just some ideas. Hope it helps.

Yes I know, we will be trying to time it right.
I live in Plano. We have a few early voting locations. I have the fortune to be out and about all day every day doing my job. I drove past an early voting location today around 9:30 and there was no line at all. I would have stopped but we had a customer losing his marbles because he had to be somewhere and wanted us to service his furnace before he left. I will hit one in the next few days but it always seems like the early voting locations have stretches of no people.

Good luck to you. We all need to vote so don't give up!

03Lightningrocks

I voted this morning and thought I would give you a report. I went at 10 A.M. and literally walked right in and voted. I bet I didn't wait 30-60 seconds for the poll worker to call me up. They were taking some pretty extreme measures to keep things sterile. This is Plano, Collin County but I bet it won't be any worse where you vote.

flechero

Post by flechero »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:58 pm This is Plano, Collin County but I bet it won't be any worse where you vote.
Bell county has been brutal- i've gone over a few times but in asking those in line it was an estimated 3-4 hours with another 100 feet to go to get to the entrance! :shock:

I'll keep driving bye- at some point it has to shorten!

03Lightningrocks

flechero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:18 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:58 pm This is Plano, Collin County but I bet it won't be any worse where you vote.
Bell county has been brutal- i've gone over a few times but in asking those in line it was an estimated 3-4 hours with another 100 feet to go to get to the entrance! :shock:

I'll keep driving bye- at some point it has to shorten!
WOW! That is not good. We have about 6 or so places for early voting with a County population of 1 million but voter population is probably much less than half. Maybe it has to do with the number of locations vs voter density. I wonder if they have a formula to do this or if it is just up to City/County officials at their discretion.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I don't know... but since 2004 when I moved here this is the first time the wait has been like that all day, days in a row. We could always go mid morning and vote in under 30 minutes in the past.

Either they reduced # of locations or this turnout is on record pace.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Flightmare »

flechero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:36 pm I don't know... but since 2004 when I moved here this is the first time the wait has been like that all day, days in a row. We could always go mid morning and vote in under 30 minutes in the past.

I know Denton and Collin counties are reporting record numbers of early voting so far.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

Flecero, next door to Bell in Coryell it is quite different story. Wife and I drove by the early voting site at the Copperas Cove Civic Center just to see how bad it was. At 1:30 in the afternoon, there was NO line out the door, and a fair number of cars in the parking lot, but not crowded. We said what the heck and parked and went in (yes, locking Mr. Glock in his lock-box in the truck) to see what it looked like inside. There was one couple ahead of us in line. We walked up, put our DL on the tray for the scanner, lady had us do a digital signature with a stylus, handed us a control number, went over to another lady who saw our number then had us pick up a ballot and directed us to a machine. We were in and out in about 10 minutes. I have to commend Coryell County as the process was so organized. Poll workers said that traffic has been constant, but except for when they had just opened this morning, they never had more than a few people in line waiting.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

03Lightningrocks

Flightmare wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:43 pm
flechero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:36 pm I don't know... but since 2004 when I moved here this is the first time the wait has been like that all day, days in a row. We could always go mid morning and vote in under 30 minutes in the past.

I know Denton and Collin counties are reporting record numbers of early voting so far.
Have you gone down to vote yet. I went to the CCCC location off of Spring Creek, East Plano. It was steady but people were just walking right up and being served. No line at all.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Flightmare »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:02 pm
Flightmare wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Have you gone down to vote yet. I went to the CCCC location off of Spring Creek, East Plano. It was steady but people were just walking right up and being served. No line at all.
My plan was to go tomorrow or Saturday. While the CCCC location is close to me, there are a few others that are closer.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “Off-Topic”