New Safe

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 8

New Safe

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Bought a new safe at Academy yesterday. The Sports Afield model SA5530AW on sale for 399.99 regular price being 799.99. Its my first safe so don't know much about them. All in all looks decent for the price. Especially since i had two 50.00 dollar gift cards i got for my birthday in Oct. If anyone is familiar with this brand of safes tell me what you think. Good or bad.

Jeff B.
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Safe

Post by Jeff B. »

I'm not, but getting a safe is a good idea, simply to make it harder for folks to get to your guns who should not be able to.

Searches are your friend, but make sure you really read about something before making up your mind.

Congratulations!

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

Sorry about the multiple post. I kept getting an error message that said "I cant post so soon after posting another post". All of a sudden all my post came on.

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Killadocg23 »

Nice.. looking at getting that one also. I like that it comes with backup keys in the event the keypad malfunctions. It’s between this and the Winchester from tractor supply.

How did you get yours inside your house? Did you pay them to deliver or you did all the work yourself ?

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

Killadocg23 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 am Nice.. looking at getting that one also. I like that it comes with backup keys in the event the keypad malfunctions. It’s between this and the Winchester from tractor supply.

How did you get yours inside your house? Did you pay them to deliver or you did all the work yourself ?
Killadoc, I thought it would be too heavy to move by two people but it doesn't weight any more than a refrigerator so it wasn't hard to move. the people at Academy will load it on your truck when you buy it. You'll have to have help to unload it when you get home. So far i'm liking this safe.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Just make sure you anchor it down for 2 reasons (1) makes it harder to steal and (2) so it won’t accidentally tip over
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

RPBrown wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:55 am Just make sure you anchor it down for 2 reasons (1) makes it harder to steal and (2) so it won’t accidentally tip over
Oh, and when you decide where to install it, already be planning on where you'll put its brother. Because these things are like potato chips...one is never enough!
:shock:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Take Down Sicko wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:36 am
Killadocg23 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 am Nice.. looking at getting that one also. I like that it comes with backup keys in the event the keypad malfunctions. It’s between this and the Winchester from tractor supply.

Killadoc, I thought it would be too heavy to move by two people but it doesn't weight any more than a refrigerator so it wasn't hard to move. the people at Academy will load it on your truck when you buy it. You'll have to have help to unload it when you get home. So far i'm liking this safe.

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Take Down Sicko wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:36 am

Sounds good. Thank you sir ! Greatly appreciated !

howdy

Post by howdy »

OK, to anchor it down in a concrete slab, you will need a hammer drill. When I bought my safe, I went to Home Depot and rented a hammer drill for $40. Harbor Freight has one you can buy for about $20 and go online at Harbor freight and type "coupons" and they have 20% off that. Mine works great but it is LOUD when you use it.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

RPBrown wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:55 am Just make sure you anchor it down for 2 reasons (1) makes it harder to steal and (2) so it won’t accidentally tip over
RpBrown, I'm deciding where i will be putting the safe. Once decided i will drill the holes and anchor it down.

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

howdy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:32 pm OK, to anchor it down in a concrete slab, you will need a hammer drill. When I bought my safe, I went to Home Depot and rented a hammer drill for $40. Harbor Freight has one you can buy for about $20 and go online at Harbor freight and type "coupons" and they have 20% off that. Mine works great but it is LOUD when you use it.
Hello howdy, There happens to be a Harbor Freight within half mile from my house. Thanks for the tip.

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

Howdy, how deep did you have to drill your slab? I dont want to drill all the way to the dirt and create a foundation leak. I bought a hammer drill and masonry drill bit at Harbor Frieght but havent bought the anchors yet. What length of anchors do most of you guys use?

strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by strogg »

Take Down Sicko wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:35 pm Howdy, how deep did you have to drill your slab? I dont want to drill all the way to the dirt and create a foundation leak. I bought a hammer drill and masonry drill bit at Harbor Frieght but havent bought the anchors yet. What length of anchors do most of you guys use?
It's up to you. Depending on the safe, you will want a minimum of 3-4 inches. The more important thing is the diameter. The holes on the bottom of the safes are different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some are 3/8", some are 1/2", and some are 5/8". You don't want to be putting in an anchor narrower than the predrilled holes.

On another note for all who have the harbor freight hammer drill, how do y'all like it? I'm curious because not everyone has the appetite to buy a $200 Bosch hammer drill, and I wouldn't mind recommending something cheaper to folks who are looking for a light duty drill.

Return to “Off-Topic”