CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tommyg
Posts in topic: 2

Constitutional Carry

Post by tommyg »

There are several bills that would allow permit less carry. This is disturbing
there are a lot of people out there that would carry even though they have never fired a gun before.
I take a class occasionally as a refresher. There is always somebody that has no idea of how to use a gun.
I have seen them with the wrong ammunition for a new in the box gun . I saw one candidate reading an
owners manual during the class. These types if carrying are a danger for themselves and those around them.

[PASS WITH CARE and at least need to have proof that they have taken
and passed a basic firearms safety class that includes live fire to carry
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Constitutional Carry

Post by Flightmare »

As stated by many on this forum before, there are already ways you can carry without a license today in Texas. The Motorist Protection Act allows you to carry in your vehicle without a license (as long as the handgun is not in plain view), as well as to/from your vehicle from your home.

Additionally, there is unlicensed carry in 16 states (will be 17 when Utah's law goes into effect) with no issues that I am aware of.

I don't think anyone here will dispute that training is important. However, I do not believe that training should be a government mandated requirement in order to exercise a constitutional right. Just my 2 cents.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

There is no “real training” in a LTC class.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

If education is a concern, then it should be addressed in public schools.
Not that many of them would handle it well in reality, but it is their job to educate young folks in good citizenship.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

carlson1 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:30 pm There is no “real training” in a LTC class.
I've seen folks go to take their LTC class with a handgun they bought less than 24 hours before the class, and have never fired it. Some have taken the class and have never fired ANY gun.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Boxerrider wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:33 pm If education is a concern, then it should be addressed in public schools.
Not that many of them would handle it well in reality, but it is their job to educate young folks in good citizenship.
I agree that firearm safety should be taught in schools. Bring Eddie the Eagle back to schools!

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Eddie Eagle is perfect for classrooms.
Hands-off safety for the youngest, progressing to hands-on safety and marksmanship. You could do this with airguns and cardboard backstops in a gym - cost would be minuscule compared to many other things they do while claiming it’s important.

Topic author
tommyg

Post by tommyg »

True there is no training on how to load shoot and carry in a LTC class However; Those who can't handle a gun
flunk the live fire test. Need to learn to shoot then take the course again. This culls out the ones that can't handle a gun safely :leaving
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

clarionite
Posts in topic: 1

Post by clarionite »

tommyg wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:56 pm True there is no training on how to load shoot and carry in a LTC class However; Those who can't handle a gun
flunk the live fire test. Need to learn to shoot then take the course again. This culls out the ones that can't handle a gun safely :leaving
As an instructor I can tell you that's absolutely not accurate. I've had several students who have never touched a gun come with their spouses to my class. I've never had one student fail the course. In 7 years, I've had one student come close to failing the written. And one that I almost removed from the firing line. But neither of them were first time gun handlers. Every student that I've felt needed more training I've offered to train. A couple I've stayed after class and worked with.

I do think anyone who wants to carry should make the effort to take a class. Even if it's just the online portion of the class. I'm afraid people will run afoul of the law because of ignorance more often with constitutional carry. But I do not believe we should be going down the road of setting hurdles for those who want to protect themselves.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

It has been many years since I took my CHL class. I do remember there was a female nurse in the class who told us that she was there because the hospital she worked at was in a bad neighborhood. Her dad and brother talked her into getting her CHL. She was in class with a gun her brother had loaned her. She had never fired the gun, or any gun before. She barely knew how to load it. The instructor gave her a few brief pointers on firing line and she passed the firing portion with pretty good numbers. In my opinion, it is really not that difficult to master shooting holes in paper. As for proper safety, handling and using the weapon in a tense situation against a person, that takes a bit more than what can be taught in any single class situation.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

If only the criminals would agree to not carry guns because doing so without a license is illegal....
NRA lifetime member

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

KC5AV wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:42 pm If only the criminals would agree to not carry guns because doing so without a license is illegal....
You know we ought to just pass a law right...
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

tommyg wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:56 am There are several bills that would allow permit less carry. This is disturbing
there are a lot of people out there that would carry even though they have never fired a gun before.
I take a class occasionally as a refresher. There is always somebody that has no idea of how to use a gun.
I have seen them with the wrong ammunition for a new in the box gun . I saw one candidate reading an
owners manual during the class. These types if carrying are a danger for themselves and those around them.

[PASS WITH CARE and at least need to have proof that they have taken
and passed a basic firearms safety class that includes live fire to carry
Not only no, but hell no. I do not feel the government has the capability to define minimum competency for handgun use. There are many more good reasons why the government must not infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

The lady next to me on the line when I tested had never shot before. Instructor loaded her gun for at least the first half of the test

At the end, when we retrieved our targets, mine had an extra hole.

extremist
Posts in topic: 7

Post by extremist »

KC5AV wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:42 pm If only the criminals would agree to not carry guns because doing so without a license is illegal....
Exactly.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”