Long time reader, first time poster

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

Long time reader, first time poster

Post by pbwalker »

Name is Brian. Just got my first sidearm (outside of the military) and put my first 200 rounds through it at the range. I'll be taking my CHL on May 10th and can't wait. There seems to be a lot of informative stuff on the site and I look forward to scouring through it all.

I've got a S&W Sigma 9mm (I couldn't pass up the price @ Academy - $250). I know it's not the best of weapons, but as an entry I think it's perfect. I now realize though that concealing this will be next to impossible in the San Antonio summer months. So I am in the market for a subcompact. I'd love to get some recommendations on what to stay away from or what to look for. Keltec P3AT seems to be a nice one as well as the Beretta PX4. Any thoughts?

Thanks and I look forward to hanging out here more often!

-Brian

:txflag:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

sbb
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Long time reader, first time poster

Post by sbb »

Welcome to the forum. With a good cover garment and holster you should have no problem conceiling your Sigma. I carry a 1911 every day of the week in the hot and humid gulf coast.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Welcome Brian, glad you have become an official member!

I would suggest finding a range where you can try out some of the sub-compact guns and get what feels right. The XD sub compact is also a VERY nice choice. Check it out.

Good luck on your class and enjoy the forum!

All the best
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Welcome aboard!

I think you made a perfectly fine choice; nothing wrong with it at all. When I get my 2nd Ammendment permission slip, I'll be carrying a Glock 19, but I'd have no problems with carrying the Sigma, either.

With some minor wardrobe adjustments, you should be able to conceal it no problem, heat or no heat.
Byron Dickens

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

:iagree: w/ Byron. No difference in the heat in SA & here in Lufkin. My son live there. My summer carry is the same as winter, 1911 commander or full size. My first carry was a Ruger P89. Yours is not too big. You just need a little practice & you will be good at it. :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

longtooth wrote::iagree: w/ Byron. No difference in the heat in SA & here in Lufkin. My son live there. My summer carry is the same as winter, 1911 commander or full size. My first carry was a Ruger P89. Yours is not too big. You just need a little practice & you will be good at it. :thumbs2:
I agree with all of the above. The 3 I carry the most are a 1911, G21, and XD45 full size. Just have to adjust the wardrobe a little.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

dukesean

Post by dukesean »

Welcome to the forum! :txflag:
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

Welcome to the forum. You should have no problem carrying the Sigma with a good CCW holster. I got an XD 40 sub (3" barrel) for carry originally, but recently got an XD 45 compact (4" barrel) and honestly can't tell any difference in concealment. The grip lengths are very close to being the same......and the shorter the grip, the easier to conceal under your tucked shirt. Congrats on joining us.

Make sure you sign up with dps online for your packet/app # prior to taking the CHL course.....it'll save you a couple of months waiting time in the licensing process.

course 3/1/08
app mailed 3/3/08
pin received 4/29/08......and waiting
Life member NRA and TSRA

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I carry my sigma 9mm and use the bare skin http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product ... _skin.html it hides well with the correct overgarment. I have a small collection of short sleeve shirts purchased at Wally World that covers nicely. Button down with long tails.

agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Welcome welcome. I agree with the earlier posts. It's not as hard to conceal something big as one might think. I'm actually upgrading from a subcompact to a mid-size frame just for a better grip and more shots. In case you're dead set on small, I've never personally shot a Kel-Tec, but I hear a lot of love it or hate it comments. Plenty of reading material on this forum for that. If you're looking for the PX4 subcompact, it might be a little while. I'm waiting for one myself, and even though they were supposed to be out almost a year ago, the latest estimate I've heard is June, and they're going to be reeeeallly hard to get your hands on.

Sounds like you have a bit of time before getting the plastic, so I'd suggest trying to conceal the S&W around the house with different outfits and such. If you're still not comfortable, then maybe by Plastic Day you can grab something smaller. Have you considered the Ruger LCP?
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pbwalker »

Well, based on everyones advice, you were right. I picked up a leather Bianchi IWB Holster and wore it (Sigma 9mm) around the house all night yesterday and after a while I forgot it was there.

It's a tough feeling to explain, but I am sure everyone on the board will understand it...I love the feeling of carrying. Sound weird? It was different when I was in the military, but as a civilian carrying, even around my house, is a great feeling!

I also just picked up an inexpensive Rossi .38 Special this past weekend and love how it handles. It's no top-of-the-line revolver, but for a fun range revolver it has my vote!

:txflag:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Return to “New to CHL?”