Legal questions or weired looks with AK's at the range?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Jesse1911
Posts in topic: 1

Legal questions or weired looks with AK's at the range?

Post by Jesse1911 »

Has any AK type of rifle in general been questioned by any range staff :rules: or gotten weired looks :eek6 at the local ranges? Im planning on shooting my post-ban Norinco semi AK but am worried that I might get any issues while at the range. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
***Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace no safety.***

Kalrog

Re: Legal questions or weired looks with AK's at the range?

Post by Kalrog »

Not at any range I have been to. Just keep it semi-auto speed unless you are at someplace that allows rapid fire.

melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

The only thing i have ever been asked is if i was shooting FMJ. The only "werid looks" i have ever seen someone get for an AK was when they were raining hot ejected brass on people 5 lanes down. I will only shoot semi autos if i have a brass catcher with me, or theres no one to my right down the line.
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

Liko81

Post by Liko81 »

Well, my local range sells em when they have em (and ARs and SKSs and Mini-14s and many other "evil guns") so I doubt it would get a second look. Now, rapid fire, including full auto, is prohibited, so an NFA AK would be a very interesting conversation piece but they would require it be kept on either semi-auto or safe. You would also have to use the rifle range, and they rent lanes by the half-hour.

aardwolf

Post by aardwolf »

You might get funny looks at a pistol range but never saw a problem with AR or AK at outdoor rifle ranges in Texas.
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

melkor41 wrote:The only "weird looks" I have ever seen someone get for an AK was when they were raining hot ejected brass on people 5 lanes down. I will only shoot semi autos if I have a brass catcher with me, or theres no one to my right down the line.
:iagree:

melkor41,

It is to your real credit that you are considerate of others and use a brass catcher or stay to the right. I have had occasion to be one of those guys who has had hot brass raining down the back of my neck as I was trying to focus on improving shooting my m/96 for our stock milsurp competition or while sighting in a hunting rifle. It is aggravating approaching infuriating. I must admit that I gave the shooter some "weird looks" as I gave up, packed up, and left. I think it is rude and inconsiderate of other shooters. I think these guys should arm wrestle over getting the last bench on the right, rather than causing shooters like me and most others to arm wrestle over getting the bench on the far left.

My range, to its real credit, provides a screened brass catcher, but too often we have more than one black rifle out there trying to knock down the berm. A buddy at my range made a comment the other day, "Black guns were invented so little boys and girls could shoot, too."

Jim
Last edited by 57Coastie on Tue May 13, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grapeno1

Post by grapeno1 »

Im posting here just so I can keep track of the number of "little boys and girls" posting in responses to 57Coastie comments. "rlol"

Grapeno1
:cheers2:
Last edited by grapeno1 on Tue May 13, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02 Mar: Applied online
10 Mar: Recieved packet/Pin Number
24 Mar: Hand Delivered packet
22 Apr to Present: "Processing Application"
31 May: "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"
04 June: Plastic in Hand.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

grapeno1 wrote:Im posting here just so I can keep track of the number of "little boys and girls" posting in responses to those comment. "rlol"
Huh? Color me confused.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

There have been numerous posts on this forum this week that have left me wondering.....

Maybe Halfzheimers is setting in.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

texasag93

Post by texasag93 »

I have only found one range in DFW that is a public range and allows FMJ, I cannot remember the name, but it is west of Sanger.

All of the rest do not allow FMJ, so unless you are willing to shoot lead hunting rounds, shooting full auto would be VERY expensive.

texasag
texasag93

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

grapeno1 wrote:Im posting here just so I can keep track of the number of "little boys and girls" posting in responses to 57Coastie comments. "rlol"

Grapeno1
:cheers2:
I was just going to ask what you call people like me who show up with both a very nice bolt rifle and a "black gun," and who make an effort to be considerate to others. :???:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Skiprr wrote:
grapeno1 wrote:Im posting here just so I can keep track of the number of "little boys and girls" posting in responses to those comment. "rlol"
Huh? Color me confused.
We all have our fans... :lol:

I have stalkers...I prefer mine to be female, can shoot, bait their own hooks, and don't watch Oprah or American Idol...

I reserve the right to make changes to those requirements as fads and hairstyles change... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”