Range Report "59 Indoor Gun Range in Houston"

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
seadawg221
Posts in topic: 3

Range Report "59 Indoor Gun Range in Houston"

Post by seadawg221 »

This morning I decided to go try out the two new toys I bought yesterday and since it was raining I decided to try out a different place that the usal indoor range I use (Sportsman's Outlet in Humble), the new place i tried is call the 59 Gun Range on Hwy 59 close to Little York road.

Here is my experience... Upon driving up into the parking lot I kinda questioned the place but hey, you know, you can't judge a book by it's cover (so it's said). Anyway, I decided, what the heck, I'll give it a try! When I walked in I was kinda glad I had a gun, it felt like I needed a gun just walking in the door (if my wife had of been with me I would have turned around and walked out). I completed the paperwork and decided to use the restroom before going to the firing line. When I walked into the restroom I thought "MAN! It's cold and damp in here...then I felt a water drop hit the top of my head! DANG! The ceiling was almost completly collapsed and it was RAIN dripping down on me! Again I thought, what the heck I'm here, I'll make the best of it! I went to the firing line (I was the only person there) and could barely stumble to my assigned lane...many, many spent cases cluttering the ground along with tons of other trash and 55 gallon barrelles full of spent brass. When i walked up to the bench at my lane I noticed that the bench itself was warped and looked as though it may fall at any moment. So I went ahead and loaded my magazines (after sweeping at clean spot to stand in), and put on my electronic hearing protection, as soon as I turned on the earmuffs I thought "what the heck is that noise"...it turned out to be the sound of raindrops falling about 12 feet from where I was standing!!! I am pretty sure the only ventalation was the holes in the roof!!

Overall I would give this place an F-, I will never step foot into this place again! AS a matter of fact I think I will write a letter to the NRA advising them of the conditions of this place and maybe they will remove it from their range listings

Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lumberjack98 »

I'd say that is a very accurate description.

I have shot there several times with my club. We eventually went elsewhere primarily due to the poor ventilation.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

isa268

Post by isa268 »

this thread is hilarious. i shoot there about once a month, on tuesday when they have fun shoot night and bring out the IDPA targets. you are right the only ventalation is the NUMEROUS bullet holes in the celing.

i got my CHL there.

thankfully Pasadena gun range is much closer.

59 gun range makes a membership at PSC look really good.

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

As the owner used to say..."It's a dump but it's a friendly dump." I used to shoot with the Tuesday and Monday night guys for many years. I work at TopGun on weekends now so I don't pay to shoot. While I really do miss my friends, I haven't talked myself into going back to shoot there again.

I will say this...if you are interested in spending time in a threat and target rich environment...59 Gun Range is the place to be. A close friend has said more than once that of the five times he has had to point guns at people, four of them happened at that range.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

Topic author
seadawg221

Post by seadawg221 »

G.C.Montgomery wrote:I will say this...if you are interested in spending time in a threat and target rich environment...59 Gun Range is the place to be. A close friend has said more than once that of the five times he has had to point guns at people, four of them happened at that range.
That's sad but pretty funny! Like I said, I felt like I needed a gun to walk into the place! :)

XD_Dan

Post by XD_Dan »

G.C.Montgomery wrote:As the owner used to say..."It's a dump but it's a friendly dump."
This is true.

Lee is a great guy! I know he's not the owner, but he's always very friendly.

I haven't been there in a while. Do you know if Lee still works there?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

G.C.Montgomery wrote:I will say this...if you are interested in spending time in a threat and target rich environment...59 Gun Range is the place to be. A close friend has said more than once that of the five times he has had to point guns at people, four of them happened at that range.
Priceless info.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Boma

Post by Boma »

I drove by it the other day. It off of 59 near little york right?

It looks like a ghetto bowling alley.

Topic author
seadawg221

Post by seadawg221 »

Boma wrote:I drove by it the other day. It off of 59 near little york right?

It looks like a ghetto bowling alley.
That's the place :shock:

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Yep, you guys pretty much sum it up. I do go there on some tuesday nights to shoot their open nights. The crowd has dwindled considerably from when I first started going there more than 2 years ago. Folks there are friendly though and it is in the GHETTO. lol.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”