2009 wish list

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 1

2009 wish list

Post by tomneal »

- CHL holders can carry guns anywhere Texas LEO's can carry.
- Daily fines for local governments posting 30.06 signs or variations.
- Daily fines for places with an improper 51% sign.
- Something to end the CHL back log in Austin. Maybe, go back to the Texas Constitution. It doesn't look like the constitution would allow a denial for non-payment of student loans. Or, maybe you can carry with a screen print of DPS web site showing they were over the mandatory 45 or 60 days.
- Change the meaning from CHL to CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon). If it's leagal for you to carry a gun, why should it be illegal for you to carry some knives?

My big wish for the next 4 years is to avoid ANY gun laws from Washington DC.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 2009 wish list

Post by Liberty »

tomneal wrote: - Daily fines for local governments posting 30.06 signs or variations.
- Daily fines for places with an improper 51% sign..
How bout if they pay the fine to the anti gun group of their choice. Like the NRA TSRA or Libertarin Party? "rlol"
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

I think we should be able to carry anywhere that security similar to an airport is not in place. I know this is a "tit for tat" kind of thing, but I also think they should have reciprocity with states both ways. Basically since licenses in California are good here, ours must be good there. This is ridiculous with these one sided things. The states I feel least safe are the states I can't carry.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member
Do or do not, there is no try.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nitrogen »

A percentage of the CHL fees get returned to the applicant for every day over the statutory minimum required to issue a license.
i.e. 1 day, 1% is returned. 100 days, 100% is returned.

State amnesty for any new federal gun laws. Why not, other states do it for drug laws?
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

nitrogen wrote:A percentage of the CHL fees get returned to the applicant for every day over the statutory minimum required to issue a license.
i.e. 1 day, 1% is returned. 100 days, 100% is returned.

State amnesty for any new federal gun laws. Why not, other states do it for drug laws?
Now that is hitting them where it hurts!!! I like that nitro!!! :thewave
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

I don't know the history of the failed parking lot carry bill from last session, but I would at least like that revisited.

I work at a place that has verbally told me I can't carry by company policy. Most entrances are posted with 30.06 signs although the just barely don't meet the size requirements. I also drive a company vehicle to work, and that is another gray area. The job I work requires that I do call-out, so I sometimes travel to remote areas late at night/early in the morning to both rural and urban areas.

Even better, I'd like to see a bill passed that would prohibit your employer from preventing you from carrying, but I know I'm just dreaming there. You could still be fired for any other reason, and it would be difficult for a law to protect your job there. Locked in the car is far from ideal, but it would at least be useful in some circumstances.
Texas CHL
Steyr M9
Kel-Tec P-3AT
Walther P22

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

I would like to see a change to GC411.176 to include a time limit on the geographical background check.
If the check is not completed within the 60 day limit, and the federal and state database checks are complete with no disqualifying events, the license shall be granted.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nitrogen »

FlynJay wrote:I would like to see a change to GC411.176 to include a time limit on the geographical background check.
If the check is not completed within the 60 day limit, and the federal and state database checks are complete with no disqualifying events, the license shall be granted.

I'd even go along with, "if further evidence presents itself when the BC is completed, the license can later be revoked."
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

ninjamedic2293

Post by ninjamedic2293 »

I would like to see a law preventing local governments from restricting their employees rights to carry on city property. If a public entity cannot ban someone from carring in a building they shouldn't be allowed to terminate their employees for it either.

tornado

Post by tornado »

ninjamedic2293 wrote:I would like to see a law preventing local governments from restricting their employees rights to carry on city property.
I work for a state agency that bans employee and contractor carry in our offices, so I'd like to see this applied to state agencies, also.

And what I really want is to be able to legally carry anywhere a LEO can. A plain and simple change, supported by statistics (as seen in other threads).

ninjamedic2293

Post by ninjamedic2293 »

I should have stated any public entity.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Parking lot law! Now that I work for a major defense contractor, that takes on much grater importance for me. They were quite explicit. :grumble
Byron Dickens

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

bdickens wrote:Parking lot law! Now that I work for a major defense contractor, that takes on much grater importance for me. They were quite explicit. :grumble
Ah, it worked out for you. Welcome to the dark side. Hope the new job is all you want it to be.

Of course you and I are mortal enemies now that you went to work for... THEM :lol:

:cheers2: Cheers and Happy Holidays.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

subsonic

Post by subsonic »

tomneal wrote:- CHL holders can carry guns anywhere Texas LEO's can carry.
Considering there are things that would disqualify someone from getting a concealed handgun license but not a peace officer license, this would be a very reasonable change to the law.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”