Quick questions about change of address

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Flatland2D
Posts in topic: 4

Quick questions about change of address

Post by Flatland2D »

I just updated my address on my CHL. DPS says that they will let me know in 45 days if it's been approved. I'm really hoping they don't take the max 45 days to process like they do new applications. If anyone has experience in this, please let me know.

So what are the carrying terms during an address change? I have moved to my new address, so can I still carry or do I need to wait till the new card comes in? I can print out the receipt I got showing the new address and that I already paid, but I don't know if a cop would care to even see that. CHL law doesn't mention anything about that anyway.

Thanks for the help.
Texas CHL
Steyr M9
Kel-Tec P-3AT
Walther P22

Elvis
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Quick questions about change of address

Post by Elvis »

Hey Flatland, interesting problem. The statute requires you to change your address on your CHL within 30 days or face a 30 day suspension. DPS has notified you that it will be 45 days to get the new license so I feel if you need to display the old CHL and show the reciept you will be fine. Explain to the Officer that DPS is running behind and drive carefully until the new plastic arrives...

aardwolf
Posts in topic: 2

Post by aardwolf »

I would print the receipt as proof I changed my address but I wouldn't carry it around.
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

Topic author
Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

Just to make it clear, I have already decided to stop carrying until my new license comes in. I really don't like it, but I'm willing to take the risk of not carrying instead of risking suspension over something silly like an address not being current. I was just wondering what the law says about this.

I really just don't want to miss out on the cold weather carry. I wear a nice Galco leather shoulder holster when I have a jacket on, and that is my favorite way to carry. For about a year now I've only been carrying a pocket pistol (Kel-Tec P3AT).
Texas CHL
Steyr M9
Kel-Tec P-3AT
Walther P22

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

OK. I'm on a roll tonight.

If you have a CHL, it is presumed to be valid before the expiration date.

Do you expect to be tackled by cops and searched for no reason? That would be an illegal search, and a law-school dropout could get any charges dismissed at a preliminary hearing.

I have heard of some police mistreatment (IMHO) of CHL holders, but I have never heard of them checking the details on the CHL or driver license with a fine-tooth comb.

Nearly every time that I have presented ID to a LEO, he has returned it after deciding that the photo looked more like me than King Kong.

The exceptions were the times when my home was in a disaster area and the police were admitting only people who had a reason to be there.

- Jim

Topic author
Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

It's still a risk I'm not willing to take. Say hypothetically, it's been more than 30 days since an address change. How would that affect things?

Has anyone updated their CHL with a new address? I'm still really interested to find out exactly how long it may take.
Texas CHL
Steyr M9
Kel-Tec P-3AT
Walther P22

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I'm sorry that my answer was not helpful.

- Jim

tx.agg.96
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tx.agg.96 »

i moved to the metroplex from east texas on friday, 10/31. Then on saturday, 11/08, i logged on to see 'Application Completed - License Issued or Certificate Active' since i had already moved, i went ahead and filled out the online change of address, even though i didnt have the plastic in hand. On 11/13, i received the License with the old address after usps forwarded my mail. on, or around, 11/18, i received the new License with the correct address. So its fairly quick.

The funny thing about the whole thing was the two Licenses were totally different styles. Even though I received them around a week apart.

aardwolf

Post by aardwolf »

My last address change took 3-4 weeks for the TX-CHL and 1 week for the TX-DL. Same TX-DPS. :headscratch
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

Topic author
Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

Just wanted to post an update. Paid DPS online on 12/2/08, got new CHL in mail yesterday, 12/12/08. Only took 8 days! Not bad!
Texas CHL
Steyr M9
Kel-Tec P-3AT
Walther P22

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”