DFW Ranges - shotgun

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
djwdjw
Posts in topic: 1

DFW Ranges - shotgun

Post by djwdjw »

I purchased a Mossberg 500 shotgun at the show last weekend and I'd like to find a range in the area that permits shotgun.

I'm in the mid-cities area and would just like to familiarize myself with the action and operation so static target is fine. Are there ammunition restrictions @ the ranges?

Thanks,

Dale

txinvestigator

Re: DFW Ranges - shotgun

Post by txinvestigator »

djwdjw wrote:I purchased a Mossberg 500 shotgun at the show last weekend and I'd like to find a range in the area that permits shotgun.

I'm in the mid-cities area and would just like to familiarize myself with the action and operation so static target is fine. Are there ammunition restrictions @ the ranges?

Thanks,

Dale
DFW gun range. I am the training director there and you are welcome to shoot your shotgun there. Tell em Jeff sent you. ;)
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

keyframe

Post by keyframe »

Hey Nice! Local Range Employees partcipating on the board,.....

I usually head out to Bullet Trap when I shoot, however I may just have to come try out your place Jeff.....

I used to listen to Ken Goldberg when he had a show on Live 105.3, he mentioned your place alot. I haven't made it out there yet though.

tvone

Post by tvone »

Another place you might try is Alpine in Kennedale/Fort Worth. Instead of the usual skeet or trap, buy a box of clays for $16 and head for the practice fields behind the rifle range. While $16 for a box of clays may seem expensive, it will allow you to use their manual throwers and shoot at your own pace while you get the feel of your new shotgun. They will throw singles and doubles.

I pay my kids $5 to pull the lever for the box of 135....

cyphur
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cyphur »

I've shot at Alpine's clay range many times. Not a bad place at all. If I hadn't have moved to Mesquite/Garland, I'd probably go out there more often.

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Marshal »

cyphur wrote:I've shot at Alpine's clay range many times. Not a bad place at all. If I hadn't have moved to Mesquite/Garland, I'd probably go out there more often.
Have you tried the shotgun area at the Garland Public Range yet?
I am trying to get some guys together to shoot some pistols tomorrow evening. I have not made it past the pistol range part yet, but would love to try hitting some clays over there.

~Bill

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

The Marshal wrote:
cyphur wrote:I've shot at Alpine's clay range many times. Not a bad place at all. If I hadn't have moved to Mesquite/Garland, I'd probably go out there more often.
Have you tried the shotgun area at the Garland Public Range yet?
I am trying to get some guys together to shoot some pistols tomorrow evening. I have not made it past the pistol range part yet, but would love to try hitting some clays over there.

~Bill
No I haven't - just moved out here. However I've always shot w/my father and his shotguns - I don't own any myself yet. I haven't had a need for my own collection until recently - the US Army had quite a stockpile of whatever you wanted.

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Gonna go after work Wed or Thur if you wanna join us for some pistol shooting...

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

If you don't mind me borrowing as I haven't purchased mine yet, I wouldn't mind that a bit!! Will PM contact info.

Arock

Post by Arock »

Is this gonna happen? May meet you there.
We remember the Alamo because against long odds we were forced give up one building.
Mexico remembers Texas.

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

Just wanted to say thanks to Bill(The Marshal) for the invite out tonite! I had a blast and enjoyed getting behind the trigger again. Lots of safe out there. Even managed to hit a target or two!

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

cyphur wrote:Just wanted to say thanks to Bill(The Marshal) for the invite out tonite! I had a blast and enjoyed getting behind the trigger again. Lots of safe out there. Even managed to hit a target or two!
Excellent way to close out the MidWeek!
Dragged and cajoled my two shooting buddies from Rockwall, and got to meet up with Cyphur and S&W6946!
Now, Cyphur is currently 'firearm-challenged', but that is easily overcome by showing up with boxes of ammo. :grin:
Now, S&W6946 brought his , uh, S&W6946 which was a huge change from my clean breaking Warrior to the Double Action of the S&W. However, I did shoot a tight group with it after I got past the trigger pull. Speaking of trigger pulls was S&W's Beretta Tomcat! My gosh, I thought I was going to have to back away from the lane to finish the pull!! I initally *stopped* on the first pull; I thought it was not loaded!!
First shot was a DA pull, loooong, and a flyer. I think I gave up before the break, heheh. Ohhhh, but the SA next shots...! That is where that pocket gun shines! When the trigger went to SA, it was an accurate little gun in my hand. Wow, what a difference. We agreed that the best way to use this gun in a confrontation, was to just squeeze off the *1st* shot and make the next 11 shots count! Truly impressed, I might have to look for one the next time the CFO authorizes high-dollar expenditures.

My only complaint is that we ran out of time.
The guys were a hoot to meet, although I didn't get to spend as much time with S&W as I did with Cyphur. Mostly because Cyphur had my Kimber, and I wanted to make sure he didnt haul butt for the parking lot with it. :grin:
I got back at Cyphur though, as I loaded snapcaps in the mags I handed him, to help him watch for his movement during the pull. We had a laugh over it, but he did improve as the hour passed...

~Bill

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

No doubt, the snap caps owned me those last few mags you gave me! However it did a great job of illustrating the way I was erring during the trigger pull. Much thanks!

Next time I'll be sure to bring 2x as much .45...... Loved the Kimber! What model exactly was it, an Eclipse?

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Kimber Warrior.
It is the same pistol that was spec'ed and is built for the SOCCOM Marines.

We'll have to go again, soon.

~Bill

Return to “Shooting Ranges”