Question about CHL Instructor Course

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Sigirl
Posts in topic: 7

Question about CHL Instructor Course

Post by Sigirl »

I'm leaving tomorrow for the CHL Instructor Course in Austin and I have a few unanswered questions;

After the Monday thru Thursday course will I be certified to qualify students on their shooting portion of thier CHL? Or, is anything beyond the Monday thru Thursday course required to complete ALL CHL Instructor requirements?

Last weekend I completed the NRA Certified Pistol Instructor Course, I have a completion card signed by the instructor, but I don't yet have my certification back from the NRA yet. Does the fact that I have completed this course, lesson any of the CHL Instructor requirements?

Thanks

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

When you are done with the course, you will be good to go. Except... it will take a few weeks to get you entered into the DPS database, so you won't be able to order certificates right away. And that IS a requirement to teach a class. You will find out all about that before you leave on Thursday.

As far as your NRA credentials, that would have gotten you into the shorter instructor class, but since you are already enrolled in the 40 hours class, I would go for the duration. It's all good info.

Let me know if you have questions afterward. Us girls gotta stick together in this, since there aren't that many of us!

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txinvestigator »

Sigirl

Welcome to the forum. It is great to see more women getting involved.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

TC-TX

Re: Question about CHL Instructor Course

Post by TC-TX »

Sigirl wrote:Last weekend I completed the NRA Certified Pistol Instructor Course, I have a completion card signed by the instructor, but I don't yet have my certification back from the NRA yet. Does the fact that I have completed this course, lesson any of the CHL Instructor requirements?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum Sigirl...!

:?: Would that have been the one in Ft Worth? Still looking for a good holster? :grin:
Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
U.S.M.C. 1978-84
Commercial Pilot
Texas CHL Instructor
Certified Flight Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member
http://www.TexasArmament.com

Topic author
Sigirl

Post by Sigirl »

That would be me... hey are you selling that holster?
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor

lrb111

Re: Question about CHL Instructor Course

Post by lrb111 »

Sigirl wrote:I'm leaving tomorrow for the CHL Instructor Course in Austin and I have a few unanswered questions;

After the Monday thru Thursday course will I be certified to qualify students on their shooting portion of thier CHL? Or, is anything beyond the Monday thru Thursday course required to complete ALL CHL Instructor requirements?

Last weekend I completed the NRA Certified Pistol Instructor Course, I have a completion card signed by the instructor, but I don't yet have my certification back from the NRA yet. Does the fact that I have completed this course, lesson any of the CHL Instructor requirements?

Thanks
Hi! and Welcome. the way i read the packet having the NRA sign off might get you finished at the 28 hour mark.

My wife and I will also be therre for the course. I look like the average overweight 50+ white guy with white hair and beard. She is pretty much the same, just no beard. Maybe we will see you there. I'll be pushing her around in a wheel chair at times. Her feet and legs might not take 4 days of coming and going.

I'm Larry, she's Janet.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Topic author
Sigirl

Post by Sigirl »

Hi Larry and Janet...

I'm going to see if they will accept my card signed by my instructor saying that I did complete the NRA Certified Pistol Instructor Course. It may be that they require it to be mailed to them previously along with the application and other paperwork.

I hope it's not so HOT on the day we have to qualify at the range.
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

My Daughter, Tami, will be there too. :smile:
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

TC-TX

Post by TC-TX »

Sigirl wrote:That would be me... hey are you selling that holster?
NO - but i will bring it with me if you want to wear it around a few days...

I saw one on GB tonight for less than $20.00...
Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
U.S.M.C. 1978-84
Commercial Pilot
Texas CHL Instructor
Certified Flight Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member
http://www.TexasArmament.com

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Sigirl wrote: I hope it's not so HOT on the day we have to qualify at the range.
They will start qualifying early in the morning. The trick is to make SURE you qualify on your first time out while it's still cool. (Cool being a relative term) Oh, and, take LOTS of water with you.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

And maybe take a small towel to slip through your belt while on range. Possibly handy to dry sweat off hands and/or when shooting glasses fog up from high-humidity mornings ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
Sigirl

Post by Sigirl »

Thanks ya'll... I'm putting a towel in my range bag now and about to leave for Austin.
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor

switch

new instructor class

Post by switch »

How about an after action report?

How did class go? DPS do a good job? Were you surprised by anything? Anything you wish you had known/been told beforehand? Any new rules coming out?

Topic author
Sigirl

Post by Sigirl »

The class went very well. I was so impressed by the way DPS handled so many people qualifying at the same time on the range. These people are so professional and really know how to do it safe. I could fully focus on my shooting without worrying about someone on the line possibly being careless.

The only thing that I would change for sure would be the long days.

The first day I believe started at 8:00 am and went until 9:00 pm; the second day was 8:00 am til 8:00 pm; third day was 8:00 am til 7:00 pm, and the fourth day was, be at the range at 8:00 am until you qualify. My last name starts with a "B" so I was in the first group to qualify and I was out of there by about 10:00 am on the last day.

The days were just too dang long, and nobody and nothing will hold my attention that long each day, so I did catch myself drifting off into daydreaming about how much I would rather be on the range shooting.

I would also suggest that you get hotel reservations early so you can stay at the same hotel that DPS is holding the class at, that way you don't have to move your car at lunch time and worry if you will have a parking place when you get back.
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

The days were just too dang long, and nobody and nothing will hold my attention that long each day, so I did catch myself drifting off into daydreaming about how much I would rather be on the range shooting.
That's no lie. :lol:
We got to meet El Gato's daughter, and Charles. I asked a few of the ladies if they were Sigirl, and got an odd look or two. :oops:

I was the one holding the chair for my wife at the range.

One thing happened that my wife and I thought was hilarious.
After the qualifier on Thursday , I just had to get down to Buda, Texas to go through Cabela's huge gun collection.
As I was lettting my wife out before parking the car, about 10 of our fellow classmates were walking into the store, big smiles and waving. :lol:

There must have been 30 people inside, that i saw, from the class. :grin:
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”