Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
marksiwel
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Future of Firearms

Post by marksiwel »

What do you see the future of Firearms being?

I see more Concealed Carry type pistols popping up.

I think the 6.5 Grendal could be the new "hot" round for Rifles

I dont know, what do you think?
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Future of Firearms

Post by seamusTX »

It's a mature technology. Everything that can be done has been done, until another John Moses Browning comes along.

Some of the more interesting avenues of invention have been limited by the feds, for example, compact sound suppressors. It would be really neat to have a pistol that was about as loud at a door slamming.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

seamusTX wrote:It's a mature technology. ...

- Jim
I think this is one of the reasons the AR platform is still the military's main longarm -- there are rifles and carbines that are better, e.g. more reliable, more lethal at combat distances, etc, but the military doesn't see the improvement as big enough to change the whole logistics tail (which is the major part of the expense). So they go for the quantum leap with the Objective Combat Weapon and similar programs. When I worked in military acquisition, it seemed we either ran "commodity" type acquisitions -- i.e. buy more of the same from the most cost effective bidder (the least expensive one that meets the spec) or we swung for the fences (which is a much bigger acquisition effort). As long as you were going to gen up for the effort, you might as well try to get a big leap out of it. Those that can escape the main stream acquisition process, like SOCOM, go off and buy improved AR-style weapons, wristwatch GPSs and the like.

As far as firearms in general go, I agree it is hard to see something really radical coming as long as firearms means powder, bullet, barrel. Some interesting semi-radical ideas include caseless ammo (which the military is working on). That would be a significant change, much more so than yet another caliber/cartridge.

A fully ceramic gun would be kind of cool and scare the bejabbers out of the non-2A crowd. Especially if fired caseless ammo and had Seamus's compact suppressor on it... :cool:
USAF 1982-2005

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 8

Post by seamusTX »

I can't see an alternative to the rifled steel barrel (except for shotguns, which are perfect in their own way). A genius much smarter and less lazy than I will have to improve on that.

Caseless ammunition would be interesting, but what we have now works fine. It's not even expensive when the market is rational.

For the U.S. military, replacing a million or so weapons and all their support systems is a major hurdle. I was thinking more of private purchases for innovation.

The military is going more for long-range and remotely operated weapons, like the Predator drone.

- Jim

karl
Posts in topic: 3

Post by karl »

I think, when it comes to improving and advancing technology we can never say for sure one way or the other, especially when we're not industry experts. What may seem illogical to you or me may be the very next thing produced. No one saw penicillin coming.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

HankB

Post by HankB »

ELB wrote:
seamusTX wrote:It's a mature technology. ...

- Jim
I think this is one of the reasons the AR platform is still the military's main longarm -- there are rifles and carbines that are better, e.g. more reliable, more lethal at combat distances, etc, but the military doesn't see the improvement as big enough to change the whole logistics tail . . .
True . . . I recently put together an AR carbine as my "go to" gun, but despite the undeniable ballistic superiority of the 6.5 and 6.8 rounds, I stuck with the 5.56. Ammo is available EVERYWHERE, and not being in the military, I don't HAVE to limit myself to FMJ. (I also got a regular gas system; EVERYONE makes parts for them, whereas all the gas piston systems are different.)

The manufacturers are sort of spinning their tires now, trying to come up with something new; Hornady's "Light Magnum" ammo is an improvement, and the last 20 or 30 years have seen improvements in terminal ballistics thanks to improved bullets . . . but these are incremental advances. (BTW, do we really need THREE new short .300 magnums? Winchester and Remington each have theirs, and now Ruger came out with one. Similar ballistics, yet they're not interchangeable. Silliness.)

Sighting optics are improving - riflescopes with integrated laser range finders and even ballistic compensators are coming on line. These features will probably be standard in 10 or 20 years.

Anyway, I don't think the next quantum leap in firearms will take place until we have battery technology that lets us make a practical, man-portable mass driver; and that may not happen in our lifetimes.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

tboesche
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tboesche »

Phased plasma rifle inteh 20 watt range.

Sorry! Could not resist!
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Seriously. Gauss Rifles. Man-portable Rail-guns.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Topic author
marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

tboesche wrote:Phased plasma rifle inteh 20 watt range.

Sorry! Could not resist!
Hey, just what you see pal.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Laser guided rifle launched Ammo. Rain Storm Type systems. Hyper velocity ceaseless projectile, 6X-7X current velocity speed.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Perfection of the old Gyrojet technology that never got off the ground, or better yet "phaser pistols & rifles". I see the latter as a real possibility when we gain that technology in the future.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

joe817 wrote:Perfection of the old Gyrojet technology that never got off the ground, or better yet "phaser pistols & rifles". I see the latter as a real possibility when we gain that technology in the future.
Yeah but do you think they will let US carry a Phaser or even privately own one?

USA1

Post by USA1 »

joe817 wrote: "phaser pistols & rifles". I see the latter as a real possibility when we gain that technology in the future.
shhh..they have that now , we just don't know about it...ever heard of Roswell...area 51 ... :coolgleamA:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

marksiwel wrote:
joe817 wrote:Perfection of the old Gyrojet technology that never got off the ground, or better yet "phaser pistols & rifles". I see the latter as a real possibility when we gain that technology in the future.
Yeah but do you think they will let US carry a Phaser or even privately own one?
If the Constitution has not changed by then, Yes. After all, when that document was forged the height of technology were muzzle-loaded weapons.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Phasers!
Byron Dickens

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”