CHL Class - Their Gun or Mine?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Bayllor
Posts in topic: 10

Re: CHL Class - Their Gun or Mine?

Post by Bayllor »

Thanks, Kevin. Yes, there is a range there as COM offers a pretty healthy LEO program. Check out their website:
http://www.com.edu/teams/psc/law.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the course description:
This course is designed for persons desiring to qualify to obtain a permit to carry a concealed handgun. Course topics are those required by the State of Texas. State law requires passage of a written test and demonstrated proficiency with the handgun.Use of handgun(if needed) ammunition,target,range fee and safety equipment included in tuition. Personal handguns may be used with instructor approval.Min. age 21. Students may obtain a Request Form for their CHL packet from the DPS office prior to attending class.This class is not for someone who does not know how to safely operate and fire a handgun.
Last edited by Bayllor on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Member
TSRA

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Post by A-R »

Bayllor wrote:Springfield vs. Glock - should I expect any big surprises?
Only that once you've shot that Glock, you'll want to go trade in that wanna-be Glock for a real one. :anamatedbanana

I kidd I kidd

Just shot an XD for the first time the other day. Struck up conversation with guy next to me at the range, we swapped guns (Glock for XD) for a mag's worth. XD's are nice shooting guns. Only real difference I noticed (other than the obvious ergonomic/stylist differences) is that the XD (at least his) didn't seem to have as definite a "click" when returning trigger to the reset point. So I had a bit more trouble with quick follow up shot because I'm so used to that very obvious reset point "click" on either of my Glocks or my Walther PPS.

Other than that, I couldn't detect a major difference between the two that would cause me to shoot substantially worse with an XD vs. a Glock. As others have said, I'm sure the opposite is true too.

Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Thanks for the info on COM. Looks like it isn't exactly open to the public to shoot there other than during a course. :grumble

The only other difference between the Glock 19 and the XD9 is our XD is much louder! In fact it is louder than the Glock 30 too. That XD really shouts! "rlol"
Last edited by Kevinf2349 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

Topic author
Bayllor
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Bayllor »

Kevin-
Keep an eye open on The Arms Room in League CIty. Apparently, they purchased the old Circuit City at 646/I-45 and plan to convert the place to an indoor range sometime this spring.
NRA Member
TSRA

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Bayllor wrote:Kevin-
Keep an eye open on The Arms Room in League CIty. Apparently, they purchased the old Circuit City at 646/I-45 and plan to convert the place to an indoor range sometime this spring.
Yep, thats the buzz. I can't wait for that to open. :hurry: :hurry: :woohoo

04/24/09 - CHL Class

NRA & TSRA Member

ea40ss

Post by ea40ss »

I always recommend that folks shoot what they plan to carry...If they have something already. The College of the mainland, the last time I was there, had a good assortment of pistols available to shoot, from Berettas and glocks and I think a Sig or two, and some Smiths. Just call the instructor and tell him what you have. He'll more than likely say bring what you got and two mags. Call to be sure. Things may have changed since the last time I was there. Gun and mags empty of course.

They not only offer CHL classes, they offer basic, intermediate, and advanced defensive pistol classes, as well as practice sessions which I believe includes ammo. All at their on-campus indoor range. Student supplied handguns are required for the intermediate and advanced pistol classes.

http://www.com.edu/schedule/docs/cespring2010.pdf

The civilian handgun classes start on about page 15.

Thanks,
Eric

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Thank you for the information. :tiphat:

Knowing the area around COM I would really want to take my own weapon though.

04/24/09 - CHL Class

NRA & TSRA Member

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dragonfighter »

USA1 wrote:
Bayllor wrote: Taking your own gun requires instructor approval.

I've never heard of that . :confused5
Same the last time I took it. In our case they wanted to ensure it was a "standard" weapon. IOW, my 1911 was rejected that my wife wanted to shoot (hates Glock, looooovvves my 1911) because it had a highly customized action (it was my uncle's competition weapon) and they feared a double drop. They tried and tried but couldn't induce one, but it was their backyard so-to-speak. She used one of theirs which was ported and did well.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Bayllor wrote:Looking for opinions since I'm on the fence here. I'm registered for the CHL class at College of the Mainland in Texas City. They provide the Glock, ammo, mags, etc. While this is a nice perk of taking the course here, I'm not sure if I want to use their Glock or take one of my XD9's that I love so much. Having never shot the Glock, I don't want to hit three-pointers in my first round while trying to get accustomed to a different gun. Taking your own gun requires instructor approval. Springfield vs. Glock - should I expect any big surprises?

Opinions welcomed!
Thanks.
They allowed us to shoot fifty practice rounds before the actual scoring in the class I took.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

If you've never shot the Glock before, then shoot the Glock. That way you may try before you buy. You might buy one in the future.

If you've shot Glocks before and like your Springfield better, then use your own gun.

Glocks are the easiest guns to shoot for a novice, so you won't need to "get used to it". My female friend who has never shot a gun before took the CHL class with a Glock 19 and scored a near perfect score. She only missed twice!

03Lightningrocks

drjoker wrote:Glocks are the easiest guns to shoot for a novice, so you won't need to "get used to it". My female friend who has never shot a gun before took the CHL class with a Glock 19 and scored a near perfect score. She only missed twice!
This seems to be the normal story. Every new shooter I have ever handed my Glock to was shooting well with a few rounds.

Johnny Polite

Post by Johnny Polite »

After I took my chl class with my G23, I wished I had used the instructors G19 simply because I would have been using his ammo and wouldn't have wasted mine.

Don't worry about the shooting portion. I scored 250/250 without breaking a sweat. If you have shot any handgun before, I would use the instructors gun so you won't have to use your own ammo.

my 2 cents
I am not a lawyer
your experience may vary
other acronyms
etc..

Good luck on your test! Give us an update.
Johnny Polite

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Johnny Polite wrote:After I took my chl class with my G23, I wished I had used the instructors G19 simply because I would have been using his ammo and wouldn't have wasted mine.

Don't worry about the shooting portion. I scored 250/250 without breaking a sweat. If you have shot any handgun before, I would use the instructors gun so you won't have to use your own ammo.

my 2 cents
I am not a lawyer
your experience may vary
other acronyms
etc..

Good luck on your test! Give us an update.
Johnny Polite
Most instructors that I know charge for the ammo and gun rental, so kind of a wash. However, I do recommend using something that shoots well and is simple to operate, and a Glock usually meets those requirements.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

03Lightningrocks

I realize all classes are different in some ways, but the class I attended didn't offer a gun for rent or loan. We had a small class. Two guys doing renewals and a Young lady who had never fired a gun before. One of the fellers doing his renewal had a firearm malfunction during the shooting portion and had to return later with a repaired weapon to complete his shooting. The girl who had never shot before was using a gun her brother loaned her. It had never been fired before either. She actually passed the shooting portion after the instructor put in extra time getting her on the paper. :mrgreen:

After my experience, I am convinced one would have to put rounds in the ceiling or shoot their own foot off before failing that shooting test.

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Waaaaaaaay back when I did my first CHL ('96?) I took a class where everything was provided including the gun (Glock 17) and ammo. Up until that point I had NEVER fired a Glock. It had also been awhile since I shot a handgun. I was a little nervous, but let me tell you, once I fired the first round all of that went away. I shot 249 out of 250, that kind of bothered me! Meaning that I missed one. But that gives you an idea of the ease of the test. It really was easy and the Glocks shoot really nice/easy, at least to me. I liked it so much that I went out and bought one after the class, it's still with me, matter of fact, wearing it today.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”