CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
marksiwel
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Open Carry

Post by marksiwel »

Can we just start an Open Carry thread? Instead of hijacking others?
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

davidtx
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Open Carry

Post by davidtx »

Would anybody on the forum that has lived in an OC state care to share their experience?
I lived in New Hampshire for 18 years and never knew it was an open carry state. I never saw anybody open carry.

Topic author
marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

davidtx wrote:Would anybody on the forum that has lived in an OC state care to share their experience?
I lived in New Hampshire for 18 years and never knew it was an open carry state. I never saw anybody open carry.
See that doesnt surprise me. There are some Youtube Videos from some wacky Libertarian Organization and the Cops sure do harass them. I think its all those folks from Mass, coming into their state seeing a gun and freaking out.

Texas TC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texas TC »

I have been to Arizona for three weeks on three separate occasions in the past six months and have yet to see anyone open carry.

If we get open carry in Texas, I probably would not participate. However, it would be nice to have it so I would not worry about my weapon being accidentally exposed while carrying concealed. That is the most important benefit to me. I believe, like many others, the element of surprise of having a concealed weapon gives a major benefit to me in the case of an altercation that requires the use of deadly force.

Topic author
marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

Is there a Difference between Open Carry and just doing a really bad job of hiding your Gun?
I mean assume you have a license to Conceal Carry but Open Carry was allowed in Texas.

karder

Post by karder »

I strongly support open carry. I hold to it as a second amendment right. That being said, I probably would not open carry if Texas allowed it. I think that open carry would be a good crime prevention tool, however I believe that the police would unduly harass those who chose to do so.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Keith B »

Open carry has been :deadhorse: on the forum numerous times. You will find as many against it as for it.

Bottom line, the chance of open carry ever passing in Texas is slim to none, and slim left town. Some of the open carry supporters last session tried shoving their agendas down the legislators throats and alienated the ones that they might have had a chance getting the legislation introduced with. I think finding anyone to support introduction of legislation in future sessions is now going to be extremely difficult. Most will not touch with a 10 foot pole now.

Besides the hurdles of just getting someone to introduce it, the fact that it is illegal now will make it that much more difficult to get repealed. The states that currently have open carry have always had it, so it never had to be reversed. If by some chance it did get overturned, there would be a LOT of restrictions on it. Most open carry states allow cities to preempt the state law and not allow open carry in their town. That would mean you might be able to open carry in Richardson, but when you crossed the city limit line into Plano, you would suddenly be illegal. Also, they would more than likely make businesses post 30.06 signs to prohibit open carry. Since it would be such a widely publicized thing in the media, you would see businesses throwing up signs right and left. This would then ban ALL carry in the stores. :banghead:

So, while it might sound like a great deal to get open carry, think about the ramifications and fallout that would come from it. It would NOT be pretty. :nono:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mr surveyor »

DITTO what Keith B said!
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

davidtx wrote:Would anybody on the forum that has lived in an OC state care to share their experience?
I moved here from North Carolina, an unlicensed open carry state. I saw people carry openly and never saw any problems.

I was surprised when I came to Texas and learned unlicensed open carry is illegal. I was even more surprised to learn it was illegal even after I jumped through the circus hoops and got a license. I hear many reasons for the ban, but they all boil down to anti-gun sentiments. Of course, the person explaining the ban isn't anti-gun themself, it's always those "other people" who won't tolerate open exercise of a Constitutional right.

Reminds me of arguments against an interracial couple holding hands in public. It's always "other people" who will be offended, never the speaker themself.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Keith B »

cbr600 wrote:
I moved here from North Carolina, an unlicensed open carry state. I saw people carry openly and never saw any problems.

Can you give some examples of locations you saw them carrying openly? Was that out in the country or in town and in the mall?

Also, NC has some unusual CHL restrictions, like not being able to carry into any place that you have to buy a ticket, so movie theaters and carnivals are off limits. Why would they have that strict a restriction if they are pro open carry? :headscratch
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

Open carry in Texas depends on the SCOTUS incorporation case in my opinion. I think the State is going to have to get a good slap in the face or two for O.C. to have a chance in the next twenty or so years but it will happen.

Most of those that oppose O.C. are older and don't seem to understand that every 21 year old from 1995 on grew up with concealed carry as the norm. They have never known any different and will insist on making their mark on "freedom" in this state just like "we" did. I see a vast improvement in CCW laws and a lot of restored 2A rights to include OC being in place with-in 30 years. These newer shooters are educated and motivated, thanks to the older generation, to do what it takes to restore our rights. Yes, some are useless but that has been true for some in every generation since time began. The fact is that time changes how people think. And, as long as we keep up the fight we will restore our full 2A rights. I may do my open carry Wally-walk after checking out of the old folks home but I believe it will happen. :txflag:
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

Keith B wrote:Can you give some examples of locations you saw them carrying openly? Was that out in the country or in town and in the mall?
Out in the country, obviously, but also in Raleigh and the surrounding suburbs. In my experience, it really wasn't a big deal. I generally concealed but it was nice to have the option.

I'll be the first to admit NC gun/knife laws are far from perfect. North Carolina has its own set of quirks, such as places where it was illegal for me to carry concealed but fine to carry openly. Same with fixed blade knives being fine to wear openly but illegal to conceal.

casingpoint
Posts in topic: 5

Post by casingpoint »

Assuming the Second Amendment is incorporated against the states in MacDonald shortly, and assuming SCOTUS elects to exercise strict scrutiny for judicial review, the Texas prohibition on open carry would have to serve some narrow and compelling public interest to survive a challenge. Can anybody think of one?

A-R

Post by A-R »

rationally, pragmatically, realistically I agree for the most part with Keith B's statements above.

But my inner patriot still dreams of a day when 2A-RKBA will actually mean what it says.

:patriot: :txflag:

s197winstang

Post by s197winstang »

Texas TC wrote:I have been to Arizona for three weeks on three separate occasions in the past six months and have yet to see anyone open carry.

If we get open carry in Texas, I probably would not participate. However, it would be nice to have it so I would not worry about my weapon being accidentally exposed while carrying concealed. That is the most important benefit to me. I believe, like many others, the element of surprise of having a concealed weapon gives a major benefit to me in the case of an altercation that requires the use of deadly force.
:iagree:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”