Travel to Canada w/ handgun

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Travel to Canada w/ handgun

Post by Oldgringo »

joe817 wrote:Gosh OG, I'm not going n e where! I like it here in Texas. ;-)
Joe, I'm going to have to something :oops: about this dyslexia. Have a nice stay...at home.

timdsmith72
Posts in topic: 1

Post by timdsmith72 »

Quite a few years ago...This was before the CHL law even got passed in Texas...My sister and I took a road trip and ended up crossing over into Canada for part of it and this is what I did. At the border, I declared that I had a handgun and they had me fill out a form or two then they locked it up in a safe or somethingorother. Then when we crossed back over into the U.S.A. we made sure to cross at the same place. Showed proper ID, (driver's license) and signed for the pistol and were on our way. I guess that could still be an option if you're planning on crossing in the same place both times. Unless the laws have changed, of course.
:tiphat:

Griz44

Post by Griz44 »

For storage, service or repair -
According to the rules, unless it is a pawn and return from pawn, no NICS is required. It is classified as a transfer, but does not require a NICS to return it to the owner. No NICS is required unless someone other than the person who dropped it off is picking it up. I have one hunter that drops off his hunting stuff for me to ship to Montana (from Texas) so he can take the plane to go hunt. He could check them, but he takes more stuff than the airline wants him to take, and charges him more than I do to ship and do the logs. He has them shipped back to me and then comes to pick them up when he gets back home. He also has me go through them and have everything nice and clean and ready for the safe by the time he returns.
They do have to go in the log for inventory and inspection purposes.
This information came directly from the BATFE because I called my local contact person and asked what the proper procedure should be.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

suthdj wrote:Stop at a bank and rent a safety deposit box for a month.
That would have been my suggestion.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jecsd1
Banned

Post by jecsd1 »

+1 for the bank idea. Maybe your particular bank has a branch up in WA. That would make it even easier. Either way, the bank doesn't ask you what you're putting in the safe do they? That would defeat the purpose. Disarm, unload and thro it in a small toiletries bag and store it there for the time in Canada. Then pick up your bag and be on your way.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

How you gonna' get the gun in the bank - assuming that the bank has a safe deposit box available AND large enough to accomodate your piece?

megs
Posts in topic: 2

Post by megs »

Oldgringo wrote:How you gonna' get the gun in the bank - assuming that the bank has a safe deposit box available AND large enough to accomodate your piece?
Most firearms are not very heavy so I would simply put it in a bag and carry it in, if I did that.

For the op: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... .html#P010

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

megs wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:How you gonna' get the gun in the bank - assuming that the bank has a safe deposit box available AND large enough to accomodate your piece?
Most firearms are not very heavy so I would simply put it in a bag and carry it in, if I did that.

For the op: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... .html#P010
Megs,

If you did that, you would be an immediate candidate for the local hoosegow if not shot dead on the spot. No left coast state recognizes a Texas CHL and you would be toting a concealed weapon into a bank for puposes unknown.

A better approach might be to meet the bank manager, introduce yourself with identification, explain your mission and then come back tomorrow after he has had a chance to check you out through your local bank and let him/her show you to your new safe deposit box with your boxed weapon.

megs

Post by megs »

Thank you for the legal advice but now I'm confused. Can you explain why I would be shot for complying with RCW 9.41.060(9)?

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

megs wrote:Thank you for the legal advice but now I'm confused. Can you explain why I would be shot for complying with RCW 9.41.060(9)?
That's much better.

IANAL and I'm certainly not familiar with RCW 9.41.060(9). There are a lot of things that I can't explain and I find the list grows daily. Among those inexplicables is why the young CHL was gunned down in the Costco entrance in Las Vegas last week or why the veteran DPD LEO accidentally shot the rookie. I can't explain how I got so old as dumb as I am. I used to know a lot of things, alas.

If you want to carry your gun into a Washington bank in a sack, have at it. It might work for a younger more spry guy but I wouldn't want to try it. Good luck in your travels along life's sometimes rocky road. :tiphat:

fannypacker

Post by fannypacker »

Have crossed at that border. No jokes allowed. Very serious there. Big search and a dog sniffer.

RVN War Dawg

Post by RVN War Dawg »

Securing the weapon in a safety deposit box in the US makes sense. If you carry an automatic strip it down to parts and bag them in several plastic bags. A quick squirt of lube will prevent rust. Gun parts are not longer a weapon. Traveling the US requires research into the state laws. The CHL laws are different. Ignorance is no excuse.
Don't be afraid of the answer, if you ask a question!

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

I would call the above number and see if you can do any of this either over the phone, or if you're near Dallas, ask them if you can get it done through the consulate general's office. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Plus, it might be of interest to those of us who have family in Canada.

If not, then try the bank idea in Washington.

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper;
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

SlickTX

Post by SlickTX »

I've seen references in the past that would indicate that there are businesses on the US side of the border that advertise their weapons storage services, but try as I might I can't seem to Google any of the businesses to my desktop.

Another option that comes up quite often is to leave it with a gunshop on the US side for a detailed cleaning with a pickup date that coincides with your return. The cleaning fee is probably equal to any storage fee and the transaction will not have to been shown as a "transfer" on the books.
[Insert pithy witicism here]

Proudly carrying since 09/10.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I'll add a point. We crossed the Canadian border at Niagara Falls in an RV. As soon as the Canadian agent saw our Texas address, she started questioning me about guns. Did I have any guns? Did I own any guns? Keep in mind that there are all kinds of regulations about what you can and cannot bring into Canada and most RVs are candidates for them to look to see if you have violated one of the regulations, particularly around food and alcohol. To stay current on the prohibitions, you almost have to check their website within 48 hours of crossing. The fact that the border guard ignored all of those and was only interested in whether I had guns at all should speak volumes about priorities crossing into Canada.

Ontario has a different mindset towards Americans than BC, I'll admit. I didn't find the Toronto mindset in Alberta (Calgary) either.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”