Education Service Centers

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
barres
Posts in topic: 2

Education Service Centers

Post by barres »

I just had a job interview with the Education Service Center, Region VI. They are a government entity charged with supporting local schools. There are 20 Service Centers accross the state, one for each region. Would these centers be off limits to CCW (licensed, of course) as a "school" or not? In general, there are no students (children) at the service centers, just teachers and administrators getting further training.

I am assuming that, if they are not a "school" they couldn't post binding 30.06 signs as a government agancy, but that could be putting the cart before the horse.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

I think it qualifies as a school. If they in the primary bussiness of educating. There aren't many children in colleges either. Just my thoughts though.

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

I know the entity you are talking about and I would not consider it a School, but some may. Kind of an odd one isn't it?

robert_de_niro

Post by robert_de_niro »

My mother is a teacher and she frequently goes up to the Region XVI headquarters here... I could be wrong but I do believe I saw a proper 30.06 there once...

racer32

Post by racer32 »

tough call...it's not a school as one would typically think of one, but they do conduct training seminars for educators. I'm not 100% on this, but I think they may also have school-aged students there on occasion.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Most gun ranges have "training", but that doesn't make them "schools".

Whatever "schools" are, they're not defined by the age of the attendees. Someone mentioned that there are few children in college. There are also few in truck driving school, beauty school, barber school, etc. Are all of these things "schools", just because they have "school" in the name? What about a private daycare for pre-schoolers, which has the word "school" in its name?

Yet another reason to define "schools". Or better yet, eliminate any prohibition against licensed concealed carry in schools.

Kevin

Piney

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

ESC"s are odd animals. They are state regulated and state funded (partially), but are not state agencies. The do however follow state agency policies related to monies and purchasing requirements. Their employees are considered "educators" under the Teacher Retirement System. They are not schools, per se.

They have their own Boards, own regulations and own operations policies, unique to each Center. Their Exec Directors report directly to the State Education Commissioner.

That being said, I would suggest that their facilities don't fall under "school" rules, but under their own private regulations concerning CHL carry. To be certain, I would request the AG office's opinion.

wrt45

Post by wrt45 »

Piney wrote:Greetings--

ESC"s are odd animals. They are state regulated and state funded (partially), but are not state agencies. The do however follow state agency policies related to monies and purchasing requirements. Their employees are considered "educators" under the Teacher Retirement System. They are not schools, per se.

They have their own Boards, own regulations and own operations policies, unique to each Center. Their Exec Directors report directly to the State Education Commissioner.

That being said, I would suggest that their facilities don't fall under "school" rules, but under their own private regulations concerning CHL carry. To be certain, I would request the AG office's opinion.
Where does their budget come from? How do they operate? Having been around them for many years, I can't comprehend how they are anything BUT governmental agencies. Private schools and private businesses' employees don't participate in TRS, only PUBLIC employees. The organization is established by the state, their employees participate in state retirement, their boards are organized according to state directive, and their reporting structure is to a state commsission.

The offices of the state education commissioner aren't prohibited for CHL. Why should an agency which is established and controlled by the state, like the many RSC's, be prohibited? I realize "school" is not defined for CHL purposes, but it would be a real stretch for them to be called a school, and a bigger stretch to put them down as a "private" property.

Topic author
barres
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Education Service Centers

Post by barres »

I am going to revive my own old topic. Another recent thread about a "training center" brought this question back to my mind. I did not get the job for which I interviewed so long ago, but I am interested in whether opinions have changed. I know we also have some teachers on this board who never posted in this topic, and I don't know if they stayed out of it by choice or if this thread had died before they became more active on the board.

Thank you,
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Boxerrider

Re: Education Service Centers

Post by Boxerrider »

The only one I'm familiar with is in Austin. It has some sort of generic no weapons sign on the main entrance not 30.06 compliant. They are in the business of providing training, services, and materials to schools. Frequently the training is done by outside employees (businesses) who have a contract with the service center. I do not consider it any more like a school than when a company contracts with a hotel or convention center to provide training there, and so I carry. Its certainly possible I could end up in a sticky mess should I fail to conceal, but I believe I'm legal.

The only time I have been there with a group of students was to attend a propaganda event hosted by a software company selling occupation investigation programs to schools. I traveled on a school bus with students so that makes it a field trip and concealed carry is not legal and so I didn't.

This is very much like a school field trip to an IMAX theater. If I am a chaparone on the field trip I am not allowed to carry. If am Joe CHL off the street who came to the same movie carrying is completely legal.

Sure would make everything simpler and safer if they lifted the school restriction altogether.

Enjoy!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”