Remodeling Question- Tile

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 2

Remodeling Question- Tile

Post by Piney »

Can tile be installed on a 2nd story's floor ? We have a small full bath upstairs. Daughter's off to college so its time to remodel that area :smilelol5: I might even get to build a reloading bench :woohoo

Its a small bath with lineolum (sp ?) . I've installed tile in the past on a 1st floor bathroom's wooden floor by putting down a layer of concrete board first. Im' concerned of the potential for the floor flexing and cracking the grout. Might that all that is needed on an upstairs floor -install it over concrete board ?

boomerang
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Remodeling Question- Tile

Post by boomerang »

I don't know anything about your home's construction but I grew up in a house with tile floors in the second story bathrooms. No real problems except for the occasional cracked tile from us kids dropping things.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

gemini

Post by gemini »

Piney wrote:Can tile be installed on a 2nd story's floor ? We have a small full bath upstairs. Daughter's off to college so its time to remodel that area :smilelol5: I might even get to build a reloading bench :woohoo

Its a small bath with lineolum (sp ?) . I've installed tile in the past on a 1st floor bathroom's wooden floor by putting down a layer of concrete board first. Im' concerned of the potential for the floor flexing and cracking the grout. Might that all that is needed on an upstairs floor -install it over concrete board ?
Yes. Pull the commode and sink (if pedestal). Scrape up the linoleum / vinyl flooring. Make sure the
subflooring is nailed or screwed down. No loose or moving portions of flooring. Concrete board (various
manufacturers) is a good underlayment for tile. Attach with screws, NOT NAILS. Use fiber tape and
tile mastic to bed the screw heads and tape & bed the joints. Set tile using using the correct thinset/
tile mastic. Use the correct notched trowel for the size and type of tile being installed.

*note: If the subfloor is pressboard, set the concrete board in mastic prior to screwing it down.
Make sure to use coated screws of the proper length for secure attachment. Secure the edge and
the field per manuf directions/spacing requirements.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Make sure to seal it still.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Piney wrote:Can tile be installed on a 2nd story's floor ? We have a small full bath upstairs. Daughter's off to college so its time to remodel that area :smilelol5: I might even get to build a reloading bench :woohoo

Its a small bath with lineolum (sp ?).
Linoleum. You almost had it... :mrgreen:

I'm no builder, but it would seem to me that the issue is pounds per square inch or square foot of weight on the upstairs floorboards, and I think tile is probably well within those limits. Tile is not a 600 lb gun safe, with all its weight concentrated onto a fairly small footprint.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

pcernuch

Post by pcernuch »

gemini wrote:Yes. Pull the commode and sink (if pedestal). Scrape up the linoleum / vinyl flooring. Make sure the
subflooring is nailed or screwed down. No loose or moving portions of flooring. Concrete board (various
manufacturers) is a good underlayment for tile. Attach with screws, NOT NAILS. Use fiber tape and
tile mastic to bed the screw heads and tape & bed the joints. Set tile using using the correct thinset/
tile mastic. Use the correct notched trowel for the size and type of tile being installed.

*note: If the subfloor is pressboard, set the concrete board in mastic prior to screwing it down.
Make sure to use coated screws of the proper length for secure attachment. Secure the edge and
the field per manuf directions/spacing requirements.
gemini pretty much nailed it. i did an upstairs bath in our house.

god bless.

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Piney »

[quote="The Annoyed Man
Its a small bath with lineolum (sp ?).[/quote]
Linoleum. You almost had it... :mrgreen:

I'll blame Chas for not having spullin' checker.... and my 3rd greade teacher...

Thanks to all for the into and tips !

Quahog

Post by Quahog »

If you have never checked out FineHomeBuilding.com, it's worth it for the free videos like this one:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/ ... loors.aspx

Tiling isn't rocket science but having the right tools and some solid patience really make a difference.
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Quahog wrote:If you have never checked out FineHomeBuilding.com, it's worth it for the free videos like this one:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/ ... loors.aspx

Tiling isn't rocket science but having the right tools and some solid patience really make a difference.

As a soon to be new home owner, I appreciate that Thanks. :thumbs2:
Psalm 91:2

Return to “Off-Topic”