Groceries for guns

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
O6nop
Posts in topic: 6

Groceries for guns

Post by O6nop »

I never thought it would happen here, Austin has authorized a type gun buy back program! A whopping $200 for assault weapons, $100 for rifles and handguns. Time to dig out those old junkers and cash 'em in. IfAPD is going to waste my taxes, I might have to take advantage.

I haven't seen this posted yet, I'm surprised, if it is... sorry.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Groceries for guns

Post by RPB »

Police are also including fake guns in the buy back (but only giving $10.00 each for them)

Better hurry, costumeattic already sold out of the $5.40 Pirate Flintlock Water Pistol
http://www.costumeattic.com/detail/DI-1 ... istol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Austin Police Department has formed a partnership to offer citizens coupons for groceries in exchange for guns. Austin Police are hoping the new gun buy back program will get weapons off the street and reduce crime.

Police are also including fake guns in the buy back program because they have seen a trend of criminals using them in robberies.

So for BB guns and air guns, a person will get ten dollars.
For handguns and rifles, they will receive $100. For assault rifles, they will receive $200.

Police want to make sure those interested follow certain guidelines. The gun must be unloaded and guns and ammunition must be in separate bags.

Guns for groceries starts on June 5 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. It is located at the Austin Conerstone Church at 1101 Reinli Street.

The money is coming from the Greater Austin Crime Commission.
Last edited by RPB on Wed May 26, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

boomerang
Posts in topic: 1

Post by boomerang »

Wouldn't they have to be a previous owner to buy them back? :headscratch
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

KFP

Post by KFP »

Sounds like someone should capitalize on this by offering $ for the ammo. How much does a Jennings run these days? :biggrinjester:
Life Member NRA & TSRA

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

Maybe we can stand outside the parking lot and offer twice what they are offering. Wouldn't mind getting an "assault rifle" for $400 :cool:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Do they know what an assault rifle actually is?

What a CROCK! :banghead:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

A-R
Posts in topic: 13

Post by A-R »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Unbelievable. Why didn't Dallas take this idiotic police chief? Dallas PD/council loves gun buy back programs. He'd fit right in!!!!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And they're most likely ripping these people off. $200 for an "assault rifle" ... heck, even a busted up SKS is worth more than that in today's inflated market. I seriously think some of us should go stand on the next corner and offer to pay more for these guns, and pay in cash - not glorified food stamps. Did you see that stainless revolver in the video? I'd give $200 cash for that right now even if it's just a Rossi, (instead of $100 in food stamps).

APD will probably turn around and sell these guns to an FFL who will sell them for three times what they owners got in food stamps.

This makes me so glad I live in Cedar Park.

A-R

Post by A-R »

OK, I'm completely serious about this ... could a group of us literally stand on the next corner and offer "free gun value appraisals" and offer to pay cash for these guns? Didn't someone try this in Dallas or one of the other cities that had a buyback program?

This infuriates me that they're going to give someone $100 for a nice stainless S&W revolver like the one in the video :mad5 . The APD cops will probably pick over the good stuff, take it home, then burn the junk guns.

What's even more upsetting is the APD spokesman on camera making the asinine comment that every gun they collect makes us all safer. :blowup

Seriously, anyone know if their are laws or local ordinances against offering to appraise and/or buy a gun on a street corner like this? I need to do some research. Anyone have plans June 5? Want to hang out on a street corner on the east side? :eek6

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Post by RPB »

I have to be in North Texas then, but I like your suggeston, I'd be there cash in hand outbidding them on anything decent.... and cash they can buy diapers or clothing or pay a utility bill with so they can have air conditioning ... not just grocery coupons.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Dallas did something like this last year....or year before last. Tun in a gun and they give you a $50 Kroger gift card. Doesn't sound near as tempting as $200 or $300 for an "assult weapun" :lol:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

O6nop wrote:A whopping $200 for assault weapons, $100 for rifles and handguns.
Are they high? Who in their right mind is going to trade in a $800-$1,000 rifle for $200 in groceries?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Grog

Post by Grog »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Are they high? Who in their right mind is going to trade in a $800-$1,000 rifle for $200 in groceries?

Someone who just stole one.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Grog wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Someone who just stole one.
BINGO!!!! we have a winner!

:smash:

That's what these things always turn into, some lowlife looks at all the guns he's stolen lately, figures out which ones won't fetch $100 at the pawn shop and trades those in for food stamps, which he sells at a mark up (or gives to his baby mama to settle last month's child support).

Gun buy backs are nothing more than a low-level fencing operation.

Topic author
O6nop
Posts in topic: 6

Post by O6nop »

From what I've read about these things in the past is that the guns are either junk,or they are guns that have laid around for a long time and the owner doesn't want them anymore, or a wife is selling her husband's gun without his knowledge, or they are stolen. But no one is going to sell their valuable guns. It achieves almost nothing. Austin hasn't said what they will do with them but most of these crusades promise to destroy them.

As far as offering to buy them, I'm sure APD has that worked out, but face-to-face sales are legal, but unless you have a CHL, is it legal to walk around with them after you buy them? Open carry is illegal and concealed carry requires a license. If you try to purchase them on the premises I imagine that could be made to be illegal.

I'm curious how it's all going to work. I might be able to make it down there but that's graduation day and I have family coming down to see my daughter get her diploma. Also, I have a broken down shotgun, valued at about $0 that I could turn in. They don't mention shotguns, I wonder if they are $100 or $200 items....
I'll try to find out by calling or emailing someone in charge.

Here is another link for this event,it must be their poster.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

austinrealtor wrote:OK, I'm completely serious about this ... could a group of us literally stand on the next corner and offer "free gun value appraisals" and offer to pay cash for these guns? Didn't someone try this in Dallas or one of the other cities that had a buyback program?

This infuriates me that they're going to give someone $100 for a nice stainless S&W revolver like the one in the video :mad5 . The APD cops will probably pick over the good stuff, take it home, then burn the junk guns.

What's even more upsetting is the APD spokesman on camera making the asinine comment that every gun they collect makes us all safer. :blowup

Seriously, anyone know if their are laws or local ordinances against offering to appraise and/or buy a gun on a street corner like this? I need to do some research. Anyone have plans June 5? Want to hang out on a street corner on the east side? :eek6
I'm curious as well...might be worth the drive!
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”