Another state park and national park carry questions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

7075-T7
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Another state park and national park carry questions

Post by 7075-T7 »

Also, anyone know about Guadaloupe river SP, I checked the website and all I can find is that the first mile of the river down from the damn is COE, but the state park seems to be ok.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by RPB »

7075-T7 wrote:Also, anyone know about Guadaloupe river SP, I checked the website and all I can find is that the first mile of the river down from the darn is COE, but the state park seems to be ok.
Guadaloupe River State Park itself should be fine
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/find ... upe_river/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was acquired by deed from private owners in 1974 and was opened to the public in 1983. (NOT on USACE Property)

Most of the rivers will be fine ... Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority It's OK on State River Authorities generally
controls most of the river/dams etc there, BUT I'd E-mail them and ask if any part is owned by or leased from USACE
http://www.gbra.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority is a political subdivision that was created under Article XVI, Section 59 of the Texas Constitution to develop, store and protect the water resources of the Guadalupe River Basin for the benefit of its residents.The general offices of the authority are located at 933 East Court Street in Seguin

YET I see that USACE does get involved ... at Canyon Lake..

I'd stay away from Canyon Lake's boundaries

USACE "lake" "BOUNDARIES" often extend into the river ...

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Fort Worth District welcomes you to Canyon Lake, located in South Central Texas. Our mission: supply water to local municipalities, to provide flood damage reduction to the Guadalupe River Basin below the lake, and to offer some of the best water recreation activities in Texas.

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/canyon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The following Canyon Lake public parks, managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, are located along the lakeshore:

Canyon Park & Canyon Beach Swim Area
Comal Park
Crane's Mill Park
Guadalupe Park
Jacob's Creek Park
North Park
Overlook Park
Potter's Creek Park

---------

Seriously, I'd e-mail with CC to the others, lists of places you want to go and see what they all say ... ask how far down river you can go before needing to hide your gun under a bush to pick up on the way back :lol: Tell them you need exact GPS coordinates of the forbidden area boundaries if there are no signs because you want to be a law-abiding citizen, but can't tell where it is allowed and forbidden by the types of trees growing in the area nor color of grass growing on one side or the other of any boundary. :thumbs2:
Only squeeky wheels get greased sometimes ...
For further info, you can:
1) write E-mail to the Governor, and He will forward it to TPWD (This gets the fastest reply)
2) E-Mail the head of Law Enforcement at TPWD (This gets the fastest reply)
3) E-Mail TPWD (You may get an answer from some clerical person who may not really know)
4) E-Mail the USACE for the district that State Park etc is in. (You'll get a clerk who won't say much probably)
5) In Addition to the above list to CC E-mails to, I'd include the Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority when asking for the USACE Boundaries ... see if the USACE and River Authority agree on the boundaries.

Ask where the USACE TRAINED Coyotes' and de-fanged rattlesnakes, moccasins, cottonmouths, copperheads etc and tame/trained boars boundaries are that are non-violent and know not to attack which are trained to only roam on the USACE land. (I'd make sure to ask what steps they take to insure that no UNTRAINED WILD Coyotes, or wild boars or snakes that still have fangs venture onto USACE property too, as well as if the armed Park Ranger assigned to protect us will bring his own food, or if we need to feed him ...) :mrgreen:

------------
Similar Situation on Brazos River Authority controlled San Gabriel River and 3 USACE lakes along the way canoeing down the river where you have to get out and have someone drive your gun around the lake to the other end, then meet up and get it back to continue downriver ... 3 times ... "rlol"

============

When you get replies, if unfavorable or confusing or vague about the boundaries or answers conflict, you might write your U.S. Congressman and the NRA, possibly TSRA, (maybe Charles IF he wants a copy), and attach the replies. Only squeeky wheels get greased sometimes ...
Last edited by RPB on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:18 am, edited 10 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

More info on that area http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls= ... =&gs_rfai=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

texas+Guadalupe+river+usace
I'm no lawyer

Traces of Texas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Traces of Texas »

I'm a freelance photographer who makes his living photographing Texas. Really. I've got thousands of pictures of the Lone Star State on my website.

I've been to each of the parks listed many times. For example, I've been to Guadalupe Mountains National park every year since 1981. Some years I've been out there two or even three times. I also have a CHL. Having said that, I couldn't begin to fathom why you'd want to carry in a state park. I've never been bothered (except by somebody's generator turning on in the middle of the night) and carrying a firearm is just more weight to have to carry.

By the way ... of all of them, Monahans is my favorite. Balmorhea is also an amazing treat. I must have passed by it on the way out to the Guadalupes or on my way back 20 times before stopping at Balmorhea. I was kicking myself for skipping it.

Good luck.

boomerang
Posts in topic: 1

Post by boomerang »

Traces of Texas wrote:Having said that, I couldn't begin to fathom why you'd want to carry in a state park.
Criminals and other dangerous animals.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

boomerang wrote:
Traces of Texas wrote:Having said that, I couldn't begin to fathom why you'd want to carry in a state park.
Criminals and other dangerous animals.
I couldn't imaging why anyone would carry at a hardware store/lumber yard until the 5 guys with shotguns and pistols walked in that day. No one ever bothered us in the store/lumberyard ... until that day.

I couldn't imagine carrying at an electronics store, until I had a gun at my head and saw the robber's freind with another gun up at the registers. No one ever bothered us on Main Street across from Sears in downtown Houston with all the police and parking meter patrols around, there before that day.

I couldn't imagine anyone carrying while jogging until I read about ladies being raped and killed and Coyotes.

I couldn't imagine why anyone would carry in the safety of their own home ... until I heard of HOME invasions such as the one where my 2 cousins were murdered in their home so the guy next door could get more drug money (15 years later, he is on death row still and profiting from a book he published against the death penalty... especially popular reading in California... he has a website too with lots of supportive followers). They were never bothered by their neighbor ... until that night.

I couldn't imagine why anyone would carry at church, until the Texas, California, Tennessee, Colorado and other church shootings. They were never bothered... until .... (Now all our deacons, our Pastor, and several parishners [some of whom are retired Peace Officers] are armed)

I couldn't imaging carrying while fishing until the guy showed up dead at the County park a couple years ago, he had been fishing and no one bothered him, until that night, and they found another body in a 55 gallon drum with concrete when the lake levels were low, and that lady they found floating and decomposing last year ...

Surely, if one tries, I think it's pretty obvious why anyone desires to carry anywhere or everywhere.
Them darn rabid skunks, snakes, wild boars, coyotes and the like as stated above....

I have a freind in Harris County with a CHL, that was instructed by a Peace officer to hold his gun on an apprehended suspect until backup arrived so the officer could chase the other one trying to get away ... He wasn't expecting to need to draw his weapon that day, ... until then.

You never know when a park ranger or other person might need help, it shows concern for others to carry, even though you don't expect to ever need it and hope you don't..

No one carries a snakebite kit expecting to need it.
Mainly, in general, one carries because of what they DON'T expect to occur, that could.... same reason many people carry a spare tire in the car or a first aid kit or fire extinguisher.

It is not EASY to carry, the extra weight, the adjustment in clothing, did I say the extra weight? It's a heavy burden, and an expensive one with the training, costs of the equipment etc etc, but it shows a genuine concern for others, and many choose to be prepared, instead of unprepared, at a time no one would generally expect, so they carry always.

But, you have a CHL too, so I assume you know that. ;-) Welcome to the Forum Traces of Texas :tiphat:

Boy Scouts of America Centennial Silver Dollar
I'm no lawyer

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

KD5NRH wrote:
CC Italian wrote:I know the visitors center is off limits but what I really want to know is if the showers and restrooms are off limits and considered a "government building".
IIRC, there was a clarification that it only applies to buildings in which federal employees normally work. Since their job descriptions don't include generating new Federal legislation, what they do in the bathroom isn't considered normal work.
THAT is one of the funniest things I've read all week! :smilelol5: "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

Traces of Texas wrote:I'm a freelance photographer who makes his living photographing Texas. Really. I've got thousands of pictures of the Lone Star State on my website.
Please post your itinerary and a recent photo of yourself. I've been needing some new gear, but a lot of the other photographers are armed.

Traces of Texas

RPB wrote:
Surely, if one tries, I think it's pretty obvious why anyone desires to carry anywhere or everywhere.
Them darn rabid skunks, snakes, wild boars, coyotes and the like as stated above....

Snakes? Coyotes?

That's what hand grenades are for.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Traces of Texas wrote:
RPB wrote:
Snakes? Coyotes?

That's what hand grenades are for.
:iagree: :thumbs2: (except when they are less than 24 inches away from my foot) "rlol"
I'm no lawyer

couzin

Post by couzin »

Traces of Texas wrote:...I couldn't begin to fathom why you'd want to carry in a state park...
Seriously - welcome to the forum. And - sorry, I disagree. As RPB points out, you are responsible for your own safety in ALL kinds of conditions (including State Parks) - simply - to always be cautious and prepared. It does not need be a paralyzing caution or level of preparedness.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Why would I carry in a state park? Well, just got back from vacation and met with a gentleman who travels and manages some parks. In years past the park rangers never figured they needed weapons either and did not want to carry. I mean nothing by families camping and hiking there right? WRONG, they like to carry now because 40% of the people they run into he said are tending and harvesting their illegal plants and other things inside the park where they are rarely seen or thought to be by the general public. So next time you go for that pleasant hike in the untouched woods and hills and run into someone, don't be so sure they are like you out to enjoy the beauty of nature. That is why you carry and that is from a manager over forests.

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

Traces of Texas

couzin wrote:
Traces of Texas wrote:...I couldn't begin to fathom why you'd want to carry in a state park...
Seriously - welcome to the forum. And - sorry, I disagree. As RPB points out, you are responsible for your own safety in ALL kinds of conditions (including State Parks) - simply - to always be cautious and prepared. It does not need be a paralyzing caution or level of preparedness.

Perhaps. I'm just going by my personal experiences, having spent hundreds of nights in Texas' state parks in the last few years.

My pistol stays in my truck.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Don't remember the source of this, but it seems appropriate.

"Of course, I carry where I don't expect trouble. If I expected trouble, I wouldn't go there"
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Traces of Texas wrote:I've been to each of the parks listed many times. For example, I've been to Guadalupe Mountains National park every year since 1981. Some years I've been out there two or even three times. I also have a CHL. Having said that, I couldn't begin to fathom why you'd want to carry in a state park. I've never been bothered (except by somebody's generator turning on in the middle of the night) and carrying a firearm is just more weight to have to carry.
Texas has some great parks, and for the most part, they are very safe. BUT, and it is a very important but, this is not always true. Almost all of our parks have some wild animals in them that might, in the right circumstances, find you a very tasty meal. They may just be defending their territory (just as I defend mine).

And while Texas has been lucky so far, I will point out that parks and large wilderness areas nationally are famous for drug gangs, both trying to grow marijuana and trying to smuggle other drugs, who would not hesitate to shoot someone taking pictures of their "turf". They might mistake you for a detective trying to collect evidence, or just might not want to take the chance.

And then, there was that serial rapist/murderer on the East Coast (Georgia and the Carolinas, IIRC) that was stalking people jogging in the parks. And it wasn't the local little parks, it was the state parks with large camping areas. Something like that could also happen here.

In the end, if you feel safe and do not want to carry, don't. I have never heard anyone trying to mandate everyone carry. On this case, we are like the liberals on some other issues. We want everyone to have the freedom of choice. If I want to carry, I should be allowed to, and if you do not want to carry, you should be allowed not to.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”