Posts in topic: 2

Re: New online CHL application & procedures

Post by Van »

Thanks.

HarleyDave
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HarleyDave »

The process must be improved due to the fact from our CHL all in one day class was on 10/8/10 and we received our license's on Friday Nov 12th mailing, which included a Veterans Day holiday. So, I think the systems definitely better. :patriot:
CHL Class 10/8/10,
LICENSE n Hand 11/12/10
His Firearms - Glock19, Springfield 1911 3", Sig P238, KAHR P380, Bond Arms Snake Slayer
Her Firearms - Glock19, Springfield 9 XD SC, Sig P238 {Liberty}

Jrf015

Post by Jrf015 »

Hello all,

I am a full time college student and I have worked part time at the university I attend, as well as, various places around the Houston area when on break from school. When filling out the online application I checked the box for student. Does this mean I still need to list my part time job employers or should I just say I am unemployed ?

Thanks,
Josh

DaveT
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DaveT »

My son is a Police Officer, he has also had his CHL since before becoming a LEO.

He just received his renewal letter. Is there a provision that he does not need to take the renewal course of he can provide a letter from his department stating that he he a current LEO and up to date on weapon qualifications?

If so, exactly what steps will he need to take?

Thanks!

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Good new Mike! DPS has already had their system upgraded to apply the discount regardless whether you apply online or with a "paper" renewal forum. If the discount would be available on the date your CHL would have expired (your birthday) it is calculated properly when you apply online prior to expiration.

How's that for a fast response time?

Chas.
Mike1951 wrote:I realize I was jumping the gun by a year but wanted to know what to expect next year.

Besides, it might apply to someone sooner.

The email and reply should explain.
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 7:22 PM
To: CHLS
Subject: Question about senior citizen rate

This actually won't apply until 2011, but wanted to clarify.

My license expires on my 60th birthday. If I renew in the prior six months, I will still be 59 and would not qualify for the reduced rate.

Yet, the new license would take effect the day after my 60th birthday.

Also, this will be my fifth class, so I will qualify for a pass on taking the course.

Once my 6 month window arrives next year, what may I expect?

License #xxxxxxxxx

Sincerely,

Mike xxxxx
If you apply online prior to your 60th birthday you will pay standard amount. If you mail in your application process you can submit the discounted rate for senior citizens.

Simone
Customer Service II
Texas Department of Public Safety
Austin, Texas 78773
So, we are all supposed to apply online, but if I apply online I don’t get the discounted fee.

But if I mail the application, I can get the discounted fee.

But this being my fifth renewal, I don’t have to take the class so I won’t be getting an application.

What am I overlooking? Or is it Catch-22?
To follow up, I got my renewal letter today and tried to use the online renewal.

It did NOT calculate the senior rate and would have charged me the full $70 fee.

So it appears that their system has not been upgraded as Charles was told.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

rrk0818

Post by rrk0818 »

fire128 wrote:Thank you for the reply, I was sure I was doing something wrong! The renewal letter was misleading on a few accounts and that had me goiung in circles! So am I correct in that all I will need according to my reciept is the checklist and the CHL-100 training form? The page that printed out has a large barcode and statement saying required forms, Checklist (this page) and CHL-100 training form.

KWW
I think some of the confusion will be "Fixed" once DPS adopts the new proceedures and figures out the best way to do the processing. Unfortunately, websites are the last to get updated. It costs $$$ and until you know the info will be correct for a while (I know Im guilty) it is the last to change. your CHL instructor should be able to help you with these issues.

doc.lonestar

Post by doc.lonestar »

W42 wrote:is it possible to drop off the packet if you live in austin rather than mail it?

No - according to the CHL rep during our instructor class - they no longer have a someone at the door to accept drop offs. there was an issue with that person who was accepting the apps not having any knowledge of what was supposed to be in the packet or if something was missing.

good luck and be safe
Texas DPS Certified CHL Instructor AND
Maker - Premimum Handcrafted Leather Concealment Holsters

http://www.lonestar-tactical.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edc

G30 with 2x12 spare magazines
Ruger LCR bug with 2x5 spare quickstrips
Coldsteel Spartan folder
Quark Tactical

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mikeloc wrote:Is there a charge at the time for the FAST/L-1 fingerprints when the applicate fills out his application online (or does he pay for them at FAST/L1), and is the applicate required to use FAST/L-1 fingerprints.

Thanks,

Mike L
DPS does not collect a fee for the digital fingerprints. I don't know if the fees vary by the different franchises, and the only fee I've heard is $9.95.

Chas.

One of the things mentioned in the April instructor class was the $9.95 fee is set statutorily and should be exactly the same for CHL finger prints at all L-1 Franchises.

firediver

Post by firediver »

I did things a little different from what I have read on the forum, I took my class 1st(1-21-2012), on line application 2nd(1-27-2012), finger prints 3rd(1-31-2012), documents mailed 4th(1-31-2012). The DPS site finally updated 2-17-2012 all documents recieved background check under reveiw. I was getting worried earlier this week since I hadn't seen and update so I emailed a question(2-15-2012) to them to see if my documents had been recieved, I got a reply(possibly a generic) that processing updated times were taking 3-4 weeks. 17 days to see an update on the site doesn't seem to bad.
M&P 357sig
Glock 32 357sig

Moby

Post by Moby »

I found the new web proceedure awesome.

Took about 5 weeks to have my license in hand.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

JT69

Post by JT69 »

ok a buddy of mine has done the new online app. and paid!! he has printed out the check list with bar code an all.. what about the paper for the passport photos to go on? we havent found that form to print out!! thanks for any help!! he is a first timer !! not a renual

JT69

Post by JT69 »

Anybody no?? About the photo. Paper u have to have ?

JT69

Post by JT69 »

Never mind I mound it for him!! :thumbs2:

cdalgo79

Post by cdalgo79 »

Since I am a first time new Chl applicant I thought I would share my timeline with online application. I did not mail anything in. Anything submitted I used a color scanner and submitted as an attachment through the contact us link on the general chl website. In the text of the email I added please submit to my application the attached documents. And included my chl app #

Class taken Saturday. AUG 25
Online app submitted. AUG 26
Uploading extra docs via contact us link AUG 28
FInger prints submitted. Sept 5

On this day my status updated
:all documents received
:fingerprints not received
:Background under review. SEPT 6

Background check complete. Sept 20
Manufactuing. Sept 21
Mailed. Sept 22

P.s. for the photo page I hand wrote in blue ink please us DL photo
The process has gone easy and free of problems. Again I am a new applicant. So the extra documents can be uploaded via the contact us link as an attachment. For a first timer!
Class taken 8-25-12
Online app. 8-26-12
Documents submitted online 8-28-12
Fingerprints submitted. 9-5-12
background under review 9-7-12
Background complete 9-20-12
Manufacturing 9-21-12
Mailed. 9-22-12. Postmarked 9-25-12
Plastic received. 9-27-12

1waltherman

Post by 1waltherman »

Rothenberger TWIC.jpg
hi, I'm new here.. I have a federal TWIC card, with electronic fingerprints and background check, that is current.. Too bad that it's not on the list of acceptable ID's.. So I am scheduled to do the FAST fingerprints on 2-28-13, and am anxious to get the paperwork sent in..I am a former Texas Peace Officer, and decided to get the CHL, with the current political mess that we have.
Nice informative forum,
thanks

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”