1911 Front Sight Heights

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gwashorn
Posts in topic: 3

1911 Front Sight Heights

Post by gwashorn »

OK, I am getting my Springfield 1911 in 9mm. I will want to change the front sight out for a red fiber optic. Question is what is the correct front sight height? I am considering the Precision Dawson model but not sure which one for IDPA use and target use. I would just match the existing that comes on it but I do not know what it is. Help? thanks.

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

ea40ss
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 1911 Front Sight Heights

Post by ea40ss »

Hey Gary,
Before you order a new sight make sure the gun shoots where you want it to. Shoot it from a rest. If it shoots where you want, then order the same height. If not, then measure the existing sight and adjust as needed.
E

MR Redneck
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MR Redneck »

True for all of the above, but you'll also need a sight adjusting tool if you dont have one. I saw a guy at the range one time using a rock and a screwdriver to try moving the windage. I went over there to help him and noticed he done messed the thing up.. Pretty much anything you do to a 1911 will have a special tool for it. I have about $3000 worth of tooling just for 1911's.
Its a dirty habbit.

Topic author
gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

LOL, UHG, Me AGGIE, use rock to fix things all the time.... Got it! Yeah, I just ordered my Springfield 1911 9mm PI9134LP. Hope to have it by this weekend. I understand the test the existing one first. Maybe I will do just that. I can not see regular sights. I have Truglo yellow rear green front on my XDs. Novak fiber optic on the 1911 45. But this one will be setup for target IDPA etc. It will be coming to the Arms Room for delivery and adding the SA magwell and will have the trigger worked like I had done on the 45. Maybe I will wait till I shoot it first, good advice, that is why I ask first here.

I am coming after you Texas Star.... watch out!
Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ghostrider »

Also, make sure to match the dovetail if the front sight happens to be dovetailed rather than staked since there are multiple 'standards'.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Topic author
gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Oh Yeah, been down that road already on my other 1911 and front sight fit. Novak really not a very good service company from my experience. Therefore, not going with them again.

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

MR Redneck
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MR Redneck »

gwashorn wrote:Oh Yeah, been down that road already on my other 1911 and front sight fit. Novak really not a very good service company from my experience. Therefore, not going with them again.

Gary
I really like Trijicon. You might try them next time. Also Brownells will be very helpful when ordering parts. If your gun isnt listed on the "will fit" information you can take a couple of measurements and they'll fix you up. I've seen several different novak cuts on 1911's. Not too many people stake the front sights anymore. RIA still uses front stake sights and there machined to Colt specs..

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”