Describe your perfect range

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Describe your perfect range

Post by dws1117 »

The thread about the new Tactical Edge Shooting Range got me to thinking about what would make the perfect range. Now I am talking about a public range and not your private backyard range. That would be the perfect range.

It seems that for some folks that PSC is fairly close. None of the ranges that I use come close. They are functional and nothing more.

For me, it wouldn't take much.

1. All shooting areas covered.

2. Nice stury shooting benches that are useable for both lefties and righties. they would be designed to allow for shooting off hand and standing and still remain behind the firing line.

3. Pistols ranging from 3 yds. to 50 yds. The city range in Texas City has a very nice set up for pistol shooting, but it is only 25 yds. Concrete walkways out to target positions. Each shooting position has pvc target holders buried in the ground. 2x2s with backer and target are placed in the pvc holes at the desired distance.

4. Rifles Ranging from 25 yds out to 200 - 300 yrds. Target holder positions could be setup similar to the pistol range. A seperate rifle range serving those that wish to shoot at distance from 500 - 1000 yrds.

5. All shooting positions would have some sort of devider that would allow shoorers to be able to see and hear what is happening around the range but protect them from flying brass.

6. Rifle racks behind and on the firing line.

7. Full auto OK

8. A small club house of sorts any maybe outside covered picnic tables to allow shooters a place to congrgate and relax away from the firing line.
CLEAN restrooms. Drink and snack machines that work.

9. Gun cleaning station.

10. A place for the shooting pins, steel, and other reactive and biodegradable targets.

That's all for now. Looks like I am more picky that I thought.

Describe your perfect range.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The only thing I would add to your list is at least one bay that would allow 180 degree shooting 360 would be even better!
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Chris

Post by Chris »

just to add to the list, women in bikinis fanning me constantly with those big peacock feathers while i'm shooting. i'd just move in. :D

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HighVelocity »

My perfect range would supply all the ammo you can shoot, free. :lol:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Chris wrote:just to add to the list, women in bikinis fanning me constantly with those big peacock feathers while i'm shooting. i'd just move in. :D
I'll present this to the PSC Board for approval! It'll probably get the same response as my request for an air conditioned dome over the pistol bays, but hey, I'll give it a go!

Regards,
Chas.

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

How about a range like PSC out in Katy :lol:

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

Lumberjack98 wrote:How about a range like PSC out in Katy :lol:
uuummmmmmmmmm. And could we set that up so I could shoot my lightweight anti tank weapon? :shock:

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

one eyed fatman wrote:uuummmmmmmmmm. And could we set that up so I could shoot my lightweight anti tank weapon? :shock:
Perfect!! :D :D :D

Trainman

No one has mentioned this for indoor ranges......

Post by Trainman »

AIR CONDITIONING!!!

The last month has been sweat city at winchester shooting gallery and the shooting club in FW. I have had to wear a sweat band just to be able to see my sights. Winchester tried to help out by putting up an oscilating fan just to move a breeze. Come on - make the place cool for a sweat-hog like me.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Trainman,

At Winchester Gallery don't let them put you on the lanes facing by the front counter. Ask to shoot on lanes 7-10. MUCH cooler over there.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

You guys are soft!!!

Dancing girls and air conditioning!!! For shame!!! (to put it nicely)... :lol:

"If it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin'..."

And 360 degree berms are only good if yer the guy in the dead center!!!

But, since you ask...Would I not want those first two things???

Damn skippy I would...But then a few of us would have to have an improved RV setup, so that when our wives find out about the "improvements" (at that range we "spend too much time at" these days) kick us out, we have a place to go and live...

I guess as long as I got a long range 1000 yard bay to work at...And a good short range pistol bay to work static targets and some basic tactical shoots...I'm good...

Then somebody'd have to see if we could get a "roach coach" to swing by very regularly to feed us when the urge hits...And by the way...Those things have girls and A/C, if that means anything now... :lol:
Last edited by stevie_d_64 on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

one eyed fatman wrote:
Lumberjack98 wrote:How about a range like PSC out in Katy :lol:
uuummmmmmmmmm. And could we set that up so I could shoot my lightweight anti tank weapon? :shock:
You got one of those too???
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Shooting Ranges”