are ankle holsters comfortable?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Re: are ankle holsters comfortable?

Post by A-R »

Your G27 would make a better ankle gun than an L-frame S&W revolver (even with a 2 1/2-inch barrel). If you want a true revolver ankle gun, get a J-frame S&W 5-shot snubbie (or similar size gun from Ruger, Taurus, etc.)

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have a Galco ankle holster for J-frame snubbies, and I almost never wear it. The holster is comfortable enough, but even with a lightweight revolver in it like a 642, it feels like I have a weight on the end of my leg, and it makes my leg want to have a more pronounced swing on one side when I walk. And that is with an alloy framed J-frame. I can't imagine that carrying a large steel framed 6 shot revolver, even with a 2-1/2" barrel, in an ankle holster. It will be like having an iron ball chained to your leg.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Ankle holsters are good for light guns.

I keep a kahr 380 in one on and off duty and it works great. G27 would be as big as I would go.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

karl

Post by karl »

I've never used an ankle holster but it seems it would be appropriate to counter the weight of your BUG with a similar weight on the other ankle.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I carry a Glock 26 in a Galco Ankle Glove a few days a week....I like it and it is a great way to carry while driving. From my experience, the others just don't compare to the Ankle Glove. Even some of Galco's cheaper options are terrible.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I too have an ankle holster. Taurus 85, KT3AT. Light is good. That 686 would not only be heave after a while but much walking would rub a blister I would think.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

A-R

Post by A-R »

karl wrote:I've never used an ankle holster but it seems it would be appropriate to counter the weight of your BUG with a similar weight on the other ankle.
BUG on left
BBUG on right?

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

austinrealtor wrote:
karl wrote:I've never used an ankle holster but it seems it would be appropriate to counter the weight of your BUG with a similar weight on the other ankle.
BUG on left
BBUG on right?
And what do you use for backup of the BBUG? a micronuke?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Kahrry

Post by Kahrry »

I wouldn't even carry a single shot .22 on my ankle... feels weird having a gun there for me.
Kahr CW9
Springfield XD40 sub-compact

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

glock27 wrote:been debating on carrying my .357 SW686 2 1/2 barrel 6shot on my ankle as a BUG for my G27. im having trouble finding an ankle holster for it. and if it would even be comfortable given the weight of the gun?

thanks

G27
Not for me.

I carried a steel framed S&W chief's special in an ankle rig for a year or two. There is no way I could describe the experience as comfortable. Of greater consequence for me, the exaggerated movements, telegraphing of intent, and extended time involved in the draw cycle also make that mode of carry not the preferred choice for the primary gun unless your circumstances are such that you can be pretty sure you'll never be surprised and need to produce the gun in a hurry.

On the other hand, it's a very practical place for a BUG, and it provides a quick and easily accessible draw position if you've already been knocked to the ground - a not unlikely situation in a street situation, especially for an LEO.

During my LEO days, I preferred a holster that mounted to the ballistic vest straps at the side of my chest under my shirt. It was completely concealed to even close inspection, accessible to either hand, and quick to get to by unfastening 1 button or ripping open the shirt. This allowed me to carry a compact version of my duty gun with no discomfort or negative impact on my ability to run.

A more refined covering garment solution is to sew a nonfunctional button in place over the strategic button hole and sew velcro tabs to both sides of the shirt opening under it, producing an invisible velcro closure that opens instantly and without damage to the shirt.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Ankle carry is better in boots.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

gigag04 wrote:Ankle carry is better in boots.
Agreed.

Back then low cut shoes were the uniform requirement.

Boy, I'm feeling old.....
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Tregs

Post by Tregs »

I carry a SW Mod 60 in an ankle holster on occassion. I have a cheap holster with no wool padding, but it is still comfortable, although it's not my choice for "all day carry". It's not the weight that bothers me, its the gun rubbing against my schin. A $70 holster with wool padding would probably cure the problem, but my regular attire doesn't demand the need for an ankle holster enough to drop the cash on it.

To the OP, I have a M66 K frame which is about the same size as your 686. I cant imagine carrying it in an ankle holster. I don't think I could get my pantleg over it. Also, I think that gun weighs almost 40oz loaded. Thats a big BUG when your primary carry is a G27.

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

austinrealtor wrote:
BUG on left
BBUG on right?
"rlol" "rlol"
God Bliss America.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”