Facing a possible health challenge...

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Facing a possible health challenge...

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well I just had a bit of a jolt today. In December of 2009, I had a regular semi-annual visit with my urologist during which he discovered a 1/8" nodule on my prostate gland. The plan was to monitor my PSA levels and then re-check the prostate in a year to see if that nodule would go away. My PSA levels have been trending down ever since, and the test I had just last week showed the lowest level since I've been getting tested (for several years now), and it was at .38. The previous values had been .48 and then .42. However, that nodule has doubled in size in the past year, and I'm now facing a significant chance of having prostate cancer. The next step is a biopsy (ugh!), which we'll schedule sometime in the next week or so I guess. If it is indeed cancerous, then my doctor's recommendation is to remove my prostate. There is some possibility that it is something besides cancer.

I'm not sure I want to go the surgery route if it is cancerous. There is a radiation treatment now that involves implanting radioactive "seeds" in the prostate, and that gradually kills the cancer off without any of the unpleasant (and permanent) after effects which are not uncommon for those who have the surgery. But, the surgery would run me $15,000 and the radiation would be about $50,000, and whichever I choose, it's coming out of our retirement fund since I have no insurance.

Anyway, I would covet your prayers. I know that God is the great healer. I am trusting that He will carry me through this, whatever it turns out to be.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Facing a possible health challenge...

Post by Oldgringo »

I'm sure that your sawbones told you that prostate cancer is not the big killer that it once was in mature gentlemen? It sounds like you caught it in the early stages.

Good luck and God bless.

EDIT:

Any of you guys out there who are 50 or over and have never had a colonoscopy and a PSA test are daring the fates.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

Habak. 3:19

I'll be praying!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

TAM. I wish you the best. The biopsy is no biggie. I had one about 10 years ago. Annoying, but not really painful. As for the treatments, should it be prostate cancer, all have about the same success. Surgery/Radiation/Radiological Implants. Most go for the surgery because they, "want the cancer cut out." Can't blame them. You are lucky in the fact you have an identifiable nodule. Most times biopsies are done on the basis of elevated PSA alone, so the number of tissue samples taken can range from 6 to 20+ as as much of the prostate is covered as possible. In your case it can be narrowed down, but the Urologist probably will want to do at least 6 to 12 "sticks."

In any case, as Old gringo said, prostate cancer is not what it used to be, and most of us will be taken by other age related maladies long before prostate cancer does us in. You are in my thoughts and prayers. yes, even this old agnostic prays on occasion - just in case ;-)

MoJo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MoJo »

TAM,

If it's cancer get it out! Radiation, and especially the "seeds" can fail to do the job. My son in law's dad had the seeds and everything looked good until the cancer came back and killed him. I went through this a year ago. I opted for a Da Vinci robotic prostatectomy at Methodist Hospital in Houston. I have no regrets and so far I'm cancer free with PSAs running in the <.0001 range. PM me if you want more info.

Morris Jones "MoJo"
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

terryg

Post by terryg »

I will be praying ...
... this space intentionally left blank ...

A-R

Post by A-R »

Hang in there big guy. You're certainly in our thoughts and prayers. Both of my uncles on my dad's side went through this in the last few years and both made it through in good shape and are doing well.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Chris -
I am sorry to hear this news. You hang in there! You are at the top of my prayer list.
Bill
NRA Endowment Member

USA1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by USA1 »

I have you in my thoughts buddy.
The power of prayer is strong and you will be in mine.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

You will be in our thoughts and prayers............

No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Thoughts and prayers! :tiphat:

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

TAM,

I'm sorry to hear that you'll be facing these challenges.

I'll start my prayers with the thought that it's not cancer and something that can be dealt with more easily.

If it is cancer, as others have said, PC caught early has an excellent prognosis. A good friend of mine went through it a few years ago, opted for the surgery, and has been fine ever since. Just to prove it, in his late fifties, he and his wife had another kid!

Our prayers will be with you no matter what happens.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

May God bless and keep you, TAM.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Wow, thanks everyone for the prayers. G26ster, he told me that he would do 12-15 sticks, taken from all over the prostate. Mojo, he said that surgery would be a robotic laparoscopy.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”