POLL: What Caliber You Carried Most In 2010?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

What Caliber did you carry the most in 2010?

Samller than .22 Magnum
No votes
.22 Magnum
0%
0%
9%
9mm
27%
.327 federal
0%
.38 Special or .38 Special +P
7%
.357 Magnum
2%
.357 Sig
1%
.40 S&W
20%
10 mm
2%
.45 GAP
No votes
.45 ACP
29%
.44 Special or .44 Magnum
0%
Larger than .44 Magnum
0%

Total votes: 324

elwood blooz
Posts in topic: 1

Re: POLL: What Caliber You Carried Most In 2010?

Post by elwood blooz »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:.45ACP 100% of the time

:iagree:

BTin

Post by BTin »

S&W 642 around the house when I am in sweat pants and such.

9mm the rest of the time.

I put 38 special because I am more of a couch potato than out of the house! "rlol"

Oops.

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

All .45 with a splash of 9mm and .38

So far the wife (no chl yet just MPA) keeps grabbing my Sig 226 9mm for the glove compartment. Cute little 4'10" woman who swore up and down that she doesn't like the big, bad black looking semi's has finally admitted that if a problem arises she wants something big, bad and black jammed full of rounds.... :fire

Her hands are tiny though and I'm at a loss to find a good carry piece for her that isn't an lcp. She can handle and fire the 226 safely but the grip is way too big for her. Single stacks only I think.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

:tiphat:
I carried .45 long colt/ 410 slug 100% then 45 acp about 70% of the year. Who carries just one gun? "rlol"
God Bliss America.

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 4

Post by DoubleJ »

Napier wrote:Oh, my! I feel like such a sissy with my .380 ACP. Anything bigger hurts my dainty hands and ears. Are all you big boys carrying protection (ear, that is) for when yoi\u have to draw down outside the range? The BGs may be dead, but YOU will be deef.
At the time I posted what I did, there were only 2 .380ACPs up there. the number has since gone up a bit.
regardless, I know you're kidding, and hopefully you know I was just kidding, but JIC, I'm JK.

as a side note, I've actually been shot at with a .380ACP in an apt, and I will say, although I wasn't rendered deaf, my ears rang the rest of the night! When you go to the range, the only shots I can definitely say are a "big caliber" are when someone shoots a .357Mag (or bigger).

anywho, the point is the first rule in a gun fight is to have a gun, so whatever you carry is better'n a sharp tongue!
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Topic author
LongHairedRedneck

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

Ok who's the person carrying something larger than .44 Magnum?? and what is it?
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

LongHairedRedneck wrote:Ok who's the person carrying something larger than .44 Magnum?? and what is it?
.45 Colt was mentioned above.

I carried .45 ACP more than anything, with an occasional lapse to .38 Special. Snubbies have their own appeal ...
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

olafpfj wrote:All .45 with a splash of 9mm and .38

So far the wife (no chl yet just MPA) keeps grabbing my Sig 226 9mm for the glove compartment. Cute little 4'10" woman who swore up and down that she doesn't like the big, bad black looking semi's has finally admitted that if a problem arises she wants something big, bad and black jammed full of rounds.... :fire

Her hands are tiny though and I'm at a loss to find a good carry piece for her that isn't an lcp. She can handle and fire the 226 safely but the grip is way too big for her. Single stacks only I think.
if she likes the 226 she may like the 239 also, grip is a decent amount smaller

Napier
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Napier »

DoubleJ wrote:
Napier wrote:Oh, my! I feel like such a sissy with my .380 ACP. Anything bigger hurts my dainty hands and ears. Are all you big boys carrying protection (ear, that is) for when yoi\u have to draw down outside the range? The BGs may be dead, but YOU will be deef.
At the time I posted what I did, there were only 2 .380ACPs up there. the number has since gone up a bit.
regardless, I know you're kidding, and hopefully you know I was just kidding, but JIC, I'm JK.

as a side note, I've actually been shot at with a .380ACP in an apt, and I will say, although I wasn't rendered deaf, my ears rang the rest of the night! When you go to the range, the only shots I can definitely say are a "big caliber" are when someone shoots a .357Mag (or bigger).

anywho, the point is the first rule in a gun fight is to have a gun, so whatever you carry is better'n a sharp tongue!
That's scary. I have had friends shoot at me when we were kids, but never anyone intentionally. Foolish youth that I was, I used to shoot 32 H&R without ear protection all the time, and did the same with my first 380. That all changed when I got my first 9mm. So I was only partly joking. When conditions permit, I carry a Bersa 380 Thunder Plus with 16 round capacity. Otherwise a small 380. What worries me more than hearing now is that my eyes are so bad that I have to wear tightly fitting goggles with labyrinth ventilation because the overpressures on the range hurt my old eyes. And of course they always put someone shooting a 45 or 44 magnum next to me. That said, I am astonished at how few peoples' main carry is 380.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

olafpfj wrote:All .45 with a splash of 9mm and .38

Let her feel up a Sig P 232 or 230 in .380 acp. They ain't cheap and they ain't big, but they are good! OTOH, revolvers don't have FTE's, FTB's, magazine malfunctions, etc; they just go BANG.
Last edited by Oldgringo on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

DoubleJ wrote:...as a side note, I've actually been shot at with a .380ACP in an apt, and I will say, although I wasn't rendered deaf, my ears rang the rest of the night!
:smilelol5: ...and your britches were...? "rlol"

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Oldgringo wrote:
DoubleJ wrote:...as a side note, I've actually been shot at with a .380ACP in an apt, and I will say, although I wasn't rendered deaf, my ears rang the rest of the night!
:smilelol5: ...and your britches were...? "rlol"
Heavy!
as Bill Cosby once said, "First you say it, then you do it."
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

.45 ACP.

Great for putting holes in paper and cardboard, knocking down steel, and putting a stop to four AND two-legged critters alike.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

LarryH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LarryH »

I voted 9mm on the previous poll, .45 on this one.

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

olafpfj wrote: So far the wife (no chl yet just MPA) keeps grabbing my Sig 226 9mm for the glove compartment. Cute little 4'10" woman who swore up and down that she doesn't like the big, bad black looking semi's has finally admitted that if a problem arises she wants something big, bad and black jammed full of rounds.... :fire

I'm 5'4", with correspondingly small hands. I'm also quite sensitive to recoil. I have still managed to find some guns that fit my hands both in size and recoil. If looking for 9mm, I love my Kahr E9. Of course, they're not making that anymore. But the Kahr PM9 is similar size and recoil. If willing to consider .380, Colt is no longer making their Govt 380 (awesome gun! looks/acts like a 1911, but in small scale), but Sig has started making their version in the P238, and that is a sweet little gun, too.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”