Very professional contact with local PD

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Very professional contact with local PD

Post by A-R »

While out to eat with family, get a phone call from alarm monitoring company. Multiple alarms at our house. "We are not home, please dispatch PD immediately" I demand. "We've already done so, they're on their way," was the response. "Will you be able to meet them at the residence?"

So wife and I and two kids jump in the truck and head home. Wife drives and we go over what I anticipate will happen when we arrive. We both are thinking we may have left the back door unlocked and/or open (kids had been playing in backyard just before we left with grandparents etc to go out to eat).

We arrive, wife pulls in front of our house and one patrol car is parked there, only parking lights on (no headlights). I get out of our truck and approach the patrol car - window is down, can hear the radio, but no police officer. So I grab my phone to call police so they can relay to officer on site that we are here. Before I can complete the call, police officer comes around the corner and I make my one semi-mistake (in my mind, anyway, officer didn't mention it) when I go to put my phone back in its holster (probably not the best move, reaching around and under my jacket at night in front of an officer at a house with alarm blaring ).

Officer and I meet on sidewalk in front of my house. We shake hands. He tells me his name (difficult to pronounce last name which of course I've already forgotten :confused5 ) then asks to see my ID. I pull out my wallet, hand him TDL & CHL. He looks at both, calls in to dispatch on his radio, reads off my name and TDL number, gets some confirmation back and hands me back my plastic. Never once mentions anything about CHL or asks if I have a gun or anything. :thumbs2:

Even better, he very professionally informs me that when he arrived on scene the back door to the house was open and that he is awaiting the arrival of a backup officer so they can enter and clear my house together. He asks me to wait back inside my truck. "Yes, sir. Thank you." I reply and head back. Even though he is roughly my age, or perhaps younger, a police officer in uniform with a professional attitude will always illicit a respectful "yes sir" from me.

When I get into the truck and explain situation to my wife, my 4-year-old daughter starts telling us she has to go potty. "Can you hold it?" we both ask her. "No" is the urgent reply. :eek6 So my wife walks across the street to see if neighbor is home - no luck. Back in the truck, daughter is getting panicky - really needs to pee. We're just about to leave to go back to the corner gas station when the second patrol car arrives, two uniformed officers get out, and the three of them head toward the back of the house. This - thankfully - distracts my daughter's attention from her bladder to "what are the police men doing now?" questions. So we wait. I ask my daughter if when the police are finished searching our house she wants to say hello to them and shake their hands. She says "yes!" and gets a big grin on her face (she's the perfect age right now, learning all about police and firefighters and such at pre-school - she's met McGruff the crime dog and a few local police and firefighters at school, as well as National Night Out, but this is a chance to meet policemen in a "real" situation - she is excited).

They're back outside quickly. I get out of the truck to meet them. They tell me no one is inside and everything is secure, no sign of anything. I inform them that we think we may have neglected to close the back door when we left for dinner and the lead officer says "Yeah, that's usually what happens. But we always want to check just to be sure." I thanked him and shook his hand again, thanked the other officers. Then asked if they wouldn't mind if my daughter said hello to them. In unison they all said "sure!" So I opened the door and my little 4-year-old blonde-headed bundle of joy lept out and shook each of their hands, told them her name, that she was 4, and said "thank you" very politely. I was SO PROUD. I thanked the officers again as did my wife. And my 2-year-old son just said, somewhat coherently, "puh-leace sTOP!" He too is learning about police in pre-school, but so far just knows that a policeman says "stop" and a fire truck goes "woo woo" (siren noises). I was a little worried the officers might think he was yelling "cop" but they waived and didn't seem to mind as they got back into their patrol cars.

So, false alarm and shiny new reminder in our brains to LOCK THE BACK DOOR, DUMMY! :banghead: But a great, professional contact with three of our little city's finest and a big, exciting "what did you do this weekend" story for my daughter to share at school on Monday.
Last edited by A-R on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McKnife
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Very professional contact with local PD

Post by McKnife »

Cool story!

Was this Austin PD?
:coolgleamA:

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Post by A-R »

McKnife wrote:Cool story!

Was this Austin PD?
No it was Cedar Park PD. Little burb just north of Austin.

elwood blooz

Post by elwood blooz »

Great story

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...thanks for the encouraging words...few take the time...

tamc9395

Post by tamc9395 »

Thanks for the post. I know several CP officers and I will try to remind them their professionalism is appreciated. As a side note to the rest of the forum, do not speed in CP since they will be looking for you!

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Sounds like the alarm was handled exactly how most are trained to handle them...as it should be.

I have to tell you, a four year old blonde (I have a three year old with a blonde afro) will make my day faster than anything else. Not trying to go off topic in your thread, but I was invited to a first grade class to speak about two months ago. I arrived (extremely nervous) to a first grade class with special needs..most of the class being deaf. I will likely never serve a prouder day as a COP. The children and staff were so kind and curious. Kids are awesome! Point being, you thought it made your daughters day, but it likely made someone elses as well. Take care.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

PhilC50

Post by PhilC50 »

Loved the story. Thanks for sharing.
PhilC
SR9c with CT Laser
P89

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

Glad everything turned out all right!

May I suggest you take a second look at your physical security procedures. Seems your doors are giving you fits. :biggrinjester:
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”