B27 Scoring Ring Size

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Teamless
Posts in topic: 5

B27 Scoring Ring Size

Post by Teamless »

I know the B27 target is "about 12" across in the scoring area.
If anyone has a real target, can you measure the 7-ring across and up and down, and again the 8-ring

For our company CHL class, while i know the target is easy to qualify on, people here are nervous, so I thought I would make some (20 or so) of just the scoring size, forgetting about the rest of the torso and head, but to do so, I need the dimensions.

Or can I buy the actual B27's cheaply for 20 or so targets? if so, where?

Thanks for any help
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: B27 Scoring Ring Size

Post by G.A. Heath »

Just go to the store and get a cardboard milk box (Holds six gallons of milk). As long as the shooter doesn't go into the corners of the box they can put everything into scoring rings of the B27.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
Teamless

Post by Teamless »

G.A., thanks, I have never seen one of those boxes, but will check with Kroger's and see if they have them.

Also, As I would have actually be printing the target on an 11 x 17" paper, I believe that the 8-ring will fit on that, so if they can do all 50 on the 11 x 17", they should have the confidence to do it during class, which is my goal, to make them go in knowing, not guessing.
League City, TX

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

Scoring areas are basically oval in shape and measure as follows:

(Approximately)

9 (ring)…..7-3/4” wide by 11-1/2” tall

8 (ring)…..11-3/4” wide by 17-1/2” tall

7 (ring)…..15-3/4” wide by 23-1/2” tall
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

Could someone (instructor) review the passing requirements for the practical test? The last time I renewed, the instructor said he could just look at the B27 and know if someone had passed. Seemed a little loose, but I'm not in the habit of missing.

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

Teamless wrote: Or can I buy the actual B27's cheaply for 20 or so targets? if so, where?
Standard B-27 Green Targets

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.a ... -27S+GREEN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

Topic author
Teamless

Post by Teamless »

flintknapper
Thanks
League City, TX

Fire1141

Post by Fire1141 »

Teamless. I have 1 or 2 used targets if you want them

A-R

Post by A-R »

gdanaher wrote:Could someone (instructor) review the passing requirements for the practical test? The last time I renewed, the instructor said he could just look at the B27 and know if someone had passed. Seemed a little loose, but I'm not in the habit of missing.
Passing score is 175. Highest possible score is 250 (50 x 5).

If you put the first 20 shots from 3 yards into the 5 zone, then as long as the rest of the shots at least hit the colored silouhette somewhere (the 3 zone), you can even have five shots totally off the paper and still qualify. 5 x 20 = 100 + 3 x 20 = 75 = 175 leaves enough for 5 complete misses.

Lots of ways to figure it. you can even have half 4s and half 3s and no 5s at all and pass 4 x 25 = 100 + 3 x 25 = 75 = 175 total

To the OP, you already have the measurements now but an 11x17 piece of a paper is a reasonable facimile of the 8-ring. The box top off a 5000-count ream of printer paper is also a good visual guide. If they can put all the shots from 3 yards and 7 yards into a target of that size, they could likely even miss the paper entirely on half the shots from 15 yards and still qualify. The most important aspect to ease everyone's mind is the distance. 3 yards is likely from one end of their own cubicle to the other. 7 yards would be roughly from end of their cubicle to opposite end of neighboring cubicle. 15 yards can easily be walkd off down a hallway or something with just your body as the "target" facsimile. at 15 yards, unless they're REALLY bad at 3 and 7, they likely only need to hit the colored silouhette to pass - not necessarily the 4 zone or 5 zone.

MoJo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MoJo »

Teamless PM sent
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Check it again teamless
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
Teamless

Post by Teamless »

MoJo wrote:Check it again teamless
Mojo, thanks for the PM, great offer!
League City, TX

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

gdanaher wrote:Could someone (instructor) review the passing requirements for the practical test? The last time I renewed, the instructor said he could just look at the B27 and know if someone had passed. Seemed a little loose, but I'm not in the habit of missing.
Instructors are really just observing for relative competence in weapons handling and accuracy.

If you think about it, most folks will shoot out a pretty good sized hole in the target at 3 yds.

Most will go on to do the same thing at 7 yds. though things will start to open up a bit.

At 15 yds. accuracy degrades significantly for quite a few folks.

The normal result is: A target with a ragged hole (most of the shots from 3&7) and a scattering of bullet holes elsewhere (from 7&15 usually).

It is impossible to look at the ragged hole and come up with a "count". The instructor can only look to individual holes and score them. All others are assumed to be within the confines of the ragged hole (or complete misses, or shot onto someone else's target, it happens).

It is a huge target! If you get everything "in" at 3 and 7 yards, you have already passed the test (for the accuracy part). You could dump everything else into the ground and still pass (based on accuracy), but you can still be failed for a variety of other reasons.

The B27 is easier to score on.... than the old target, which called for a much more "anatomically correct" aiming point. We won't go into why the change was made (ridiculous IMO).

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

They are on the way.
George Mason

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

Pretty exact measured dimensions in millimeters:
Ring Width Height
X 55 78
10 100 150
9 200 300
8 300 450
7 400 600

I made an 11x17 target that I use at the range because I'm cheap. You can find it at:
http://www.safezonetexas.com/images/B-2 ... target.pdf
Print it with no scaling, and you've got most of the 8 ring. The lines on the edge won't print because of the printer margins, but you get a really good idea of the size.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”