Kimber question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
calvinbr
Posts in topic: 10

Kimber question

Post by calvinbr »

I am looking at 2 Kimbers. I do not know which one I should get. I need some help making my mind up. This is a very good place to get this information. Here we go,

1st is a Kimber Pro CDP 2 in 45 4" with nite sites, ss slide and black frame. It has had 100 down the tube.
2nd is a Kimber Pro Carry 2 in .40 cal 4" all ss slide and frame. It has had 50 down the tube.

I thank you for any information given.

Calvin
Rule one, Be Armed!
PROUD C.H.L. holder!!!!!!
PROUD NRA member
Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

ddstuder
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Kimber question

Post by ddstuder »

I think you would like either one, but my vote is on the CDP. I love the night sights and the carry-melt option. It has been de-horned!
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Texas Dan Mosby
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

Shoot them both.

Choose the one that you can accurately fire faster, and is more comfortable.

I prefer .45 over .40 simply because the recoil impulse suits my particular taste. It just "feels" right, regardless of how fast or slow I fire.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

USA1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by USA1 »

Easy one...
.....go with the .45

Nuff said.
:fire
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

rm9792
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rm9792 »

As far as calibers the .45 is cheaper and easier to find IMO. I have both models and the CDP is my preferred style. The finish is tough and probably more resistant to sweat/rust. If you CC the SS it will scratch up and have to be polished out every year or so.

HotLeadSolutions

Post by HotLeadSolutions »

Please don't take this the wrong way, but after my experience with Kimber, I feel like it I owe it to one of my CHL brethern to post these:

Althought these are not pictures of my weapon, there are hundreds of photos just like these of other Kimber pistols out there.

My story starts with a year long quest for a Kimber Pro Carry Eclipse, and ended with a pistol that I owned for a year, only successfully shot 25 or so rounds out of (before the frame cracked) and ended selling back to the factory after repair because of a multitude of problems. (Safety, firing pin, extractor)

My 400.00 RIA has better machining, accuracy and dependability than my 1000.00+ Kimber did!

If you want a quality 1911 that shoots rings around Kimber (when the Kimber will shoot) try an STI http://www.stiguns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :thumbs2:
Daniel
CHL Instructor
Dallas Concealed Carry
http://www.DallasConcealedCarry.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

HotLeadSolutions wrote:Althought these are not pictures of my weapon, there are hundreds of photos just like these of other Kimber pistols out there.
There are also hundreds of pictures on the 'net of Glock kabooms. Don't mean a thing.

To the OP, we own two Kimbers in our family, and they are flawless and accurate performers. Of the two, you'll probably be happier with the CDP. There's nothing wrong with RIA pistols. They make a perfectly decent gun, and I've been favorably impressed with their tactical model at that price point. But I've handled a number of them, and they just aren't in the same league as Kimber pistols. Kimber is also by far the largest seller of 1911 pistols in the nation. The number of defective pistols as a percentage of their total production is probably no more than any other reputable manufacturer, but in sheer numbers, that is going to be more pistols than that same percentage of a smaller manufacturer's production. Just keep things in perspective.

BTW, good luck finding aftermarket sights that will fit the RIA dovetails. That's OK if you're happy with the stock sights, but it's a huge hassle if you're not.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
HotLeadSolutions wrote:Althought these are not pictures of my weapon, there are hundreds of photos just like these of other Kimber pistols out there.
There are also hundreds of pictures on the 'net of Glock kabooms. Don't mean a thing.

To the OP, we own two Kimbers in our family, and they are flawless and accurate performers. Of the two, you'll probably be happier with the CDP. There's nothing wrong with RIA pistols. They make a perfectly decent gun, and I've been favorably impressed with their tactical model at that price point. But I've handled a number of them, and they just aren't in the same league as Kimber pistols. Kimber is also by far the largest seller of 1911 pistols in the nation. The number of defective pistols as a percentage of their total production is probably no more than any other reputable manufacturer, but in sheer numbers, that is going to be more pistols than that same percentage of a smaller manufacturer's production. Just keep things in perspective.

BTW, good luck finding aftermarket sights that will fit the RIA dovetails. That's OK if you're happy with the stock sights, but it's a huge hassle if you're not.

:iagree:

I own 3 Kimbers. Built in 1996, 2006, and 2009. These get shot a minimum of 100 rounds per month (each)! The only issues I had were magazine related, and that was quickly remedied by upgrading the mags with the Tripp kits. Every manufacturer will have lemons, that is just the way it is. I know people who will not buy a Colt 1911 after just one bad unit. Truth is, machinery will break from time to time (if it didn't I would not have a job!)

You will not be sorry to own a Kimber! (now if I want a tackle box gun, RIA would be fine and just as reliable)
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

HotLeadSolutions

ddstuder wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

:iagree:

I own 3 Kimbers. Built in 1996, 2006, and 2009. These get shot a minimum of 100 rounds per month (each)! The only issues I had were magazine related, and that was quickly remedied by upgrading the mags with the Tripp kits. Every manufacturer will have lemons, that is just the way it is. I know people who will not buy a Colt 1911 after just one bad unit. Truth is, machinery will break from time to time (if it didn't I would not have a job!)

You will not be sorry to own a Kimber! (now if I want a tackle box gun, RIA would be fine and just as reliable)
I love how both of you jumped on the RIA like THAT was the suggestion I made. I said at 400.00 it was machined better, had better accuracy and was more reliable. The suggestion I made was STI. And STI is HANDS DOWN twice the pistol that Kimber is.

And I don't think that Kimber's problems manifest because of the sheer number of weapons they produce. I think the problem is in quality control. Sig produces as many if not more weapons than Kimber does annually, and you do not hear of such things with Sig.

If you don't have the time, or man power to check EVERYTHING that leaves your shop, either produce fewer weapons or hire more people.

BUT thank you for adding to the discussion, I do value your opinion and will fight to the death to protect your right to have and speak your own opinion.
Daniel
CHL Instructor
Dallas Concealed Carry

TxKimberMan

Post by TxKimberMan »

HotLeadSolutions wrote: And STI is HANDS DOWN twice the pistol that Kimber is.
In your opinion. :tiphat: Others' mileage may vary.

I own two Kimbers, which have performed flawlessly. I would go with the .45 over the .40 for the reasons previously posted...ammo price, availability and recoil. But I would recommend you try shooting both and deciding what's right for you. :fire
U.S. Coast Guard 1982-90
Semper Paratus

Topic author
calvinbr
Posts in topic: 10

Post by calvinbr »

Thank you for the information so far. Please keep it coming in
Rule one, Be Armed!
PROUD C.H.L. holder!!!!!!
PROUD NRA member
Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

HotLeadSolutions

TxKimberMan wrote:
HotLeadSolutions wrote: And STI is HANDS DOWN twice the pistol that Kimber is.
In your opinion. :tiphat: Others' mileage may vary.

I own two Kimbers, which have performed flawlessly. I would go with the .45 over the .40 for the reasons previously posted...ammo price, availability and recoil. But I would recommend you try shooting both and deciding what's right for you. :fire
Is .45 ammo cheaper in your neck of the woods? Here is is about 3.00 per box more than .40
I am looking for some cheaper (less expensive) .45 ammo.
Daniel
CHL Instructor
Dallas Concealed Carry

TxKimberMan

Post by TxKimberMan »

HotLeadSolutions wrote: Is .45 ammo cheaper in your neck of the woods? Here is is about 3.00 per box more than .40
I am looking for some cheaper (less expensive) .45 ammo.
You are correct sir, I was mistaken as to the price of .40....haven't priced it in a while. My last purchase of .45 ammo (on sale) was the same as what .40 is going for now.
U.S. Coast Guard 1982-90
Semper Paratus

danpaw

Post by danpaw »

From what I have been hearing and reading about Kimbers lately I think I would get something else. I was close to buying one myself but now I am leaning toward just getting a Springfield. I understand all brands have some problems but Kimber seems to be having a lot lately. Something has happened over there. Where there's smoke there's fire.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

HotLeadSolutions wrote:Sig produces as many if not more weapons than Kimber does annually, and you do not hear of such things with Sig.
I used to own a Sig GSR Stainless Carry 1911 that would inexplicable jam on every 3rd round or so. Upon performing a little bit of Google Fu, I found plenty of references to unreliable Sig 1911s. After multiple attempts to track down the problem and trips to a gunsmith, I sold the weapon back to the store I bought it from and used the money to buy a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II which has run flawlessly and never broken.

I don't argue that STI makes nice 1911s, but even their guns don't have a perfect record. Again, a little Google Fu will bear that out. There isn't a gun manufacturer in existence that doesn't have it's share of detractors. Apparently, you've had a bad experience with Kimber and will never buy another, while other Kimber owners, who outnumber you thousands to one but whom you never hear from because their guns, like mine, keep chugging along, are perfectly happy with their ownership experience. I would likely not buy another Sig 1911 based on my own personal experience, but I'm not going to bash the brand because I bought a lemon.

I like how the OP asked a simple question about two Kimber choices, not some other manufacturer, and you jumped on RIA and STI like that was his question. I have yet to see a factory that makes ANY kind of product with a 100% record of perfection. That's not really a viable answer. What I expect is that, if I am unlucky enough to buy a quality product from a reputable manufacturer and the product fails to perform and/or breaks, the manufacturer will make the problem right.

Case in point... About 15 months ago, I bought a Springfield M1A Loaded for around $1,700. After shooting 100 rounds, the hammer broke. I sent the fire control group back to Springfield for a warranty repair. They replaced the hammer with a forged unit instead of the OEM MIM unit, and I had the repaired fire control group back in my hands 10 days later. Because their customer support and service was so good, I would not hesitate to recommend their rifles to someone else. Now, if you Google "broken M1A hammer," you'll find lots of references; but those references are a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of satisfied M1A owners, and I'm not going to be so precipitate as to post pictures of broken hammers that aren't even mine and make the foolish claim that this typical Springfield quality.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”