Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MojoTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

Post by MojoTexas »

Is it legal to carry concealed on a military base if you're not in the military?

I'm not in the military, but I'm going to be attending a surprise birthday party on a Air Force base in Oklahoma soon, and didn't know if I should leave it at home or not.
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

Post by Beiruty »

MojoTexas wrote:Is it legal to carry concealed on a military base if you're not in the military?

I'm not in the military, but I'm going to be attending a surprise birthday party on a Air Force base in Oklahoma soon, and didn't know if I should leave it at home or not.
leave it at home or the in car off the base.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

TxKimberMan

Post by TxKimberMan »

The Air Force base is Federal property, same as the Post Office.
U.S. Coast Guard 1982-90
Semper Paratus

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

No, you can't carry, it is Federal Property.

Now, what you MAY be able to do is get permission to check it in at the base armory. Some bases will allow you to pre-arrange to check in at the gate and proceed with your cased and unloaded firearm to the armory to check it in. Would have to be pre-arranged though.

I am assuming you are refering to Tinker, so I would just call the main office of the AP's and ask about a method to store your weapon while visiting the base. The Public Affairs office at (405) 739-2026 should be able to give you the number to contact the base police unit office. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

Thanks for the info. I kind of suspected it wouldn't be kosher to carry there.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

AlexKilpatrick

Post by AlexKilpatrick »

I'm not sure if this is still true, but when I lived on a military base I was not able to keep a weapon in my home either. I had to check it in to the security police for the entire time I lived there. I could check it out to go target shooting, but that is about it.

Kind of ironic, IMHO.

pcgizzmo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pcgizzmo »

I do think it's crazy that military men and women can shoot machine guns, rocket launchers, 50 mm canon's, grenade launchers etc.. but try and have a handgun on base your in trouble. I don't get it. If it was permissible the crazy Dr. at Ft. Hood might not have gotten off so many shots.

jamisjockey

Post by jamisjockey »

Call the base. They might honor the permit, or at least let you check your weapon at the front gate so you don't have to leave it off base or in your hotel.
pcgizzmo wrote:I do think it's crazy that military men and women can shoot machine guns, rocket launchers, 50 mm canon's, grenade launchers etc.. but try and have a handgun on base your in trouble. I don't get it. If it was permissible the crazy Dr. at Ft. Hood might not have gotten off so many shots.
All gun laws fail the logic test.
PS, where are the "50 mm cannons"? I'd sure love to shoot one of those.... "rlol"
AlexKilpatrick wrote:I'm not sure if this is still true, but when I lived on a military base I was not able to keep a weapon in my home either. I had to check it in to the security police for the entire time I lived there. I could check it out to go target shooting, but that is about it.

Kind of ironic, IMHO.
When I lived in housing on base, we were allowed to have guns, but they had to be unloaded at all times. They also had to be registered with the Provost Marshall's office before we could bring them on base. We were not allowed weapons of any kind in the barracks. That was onboard MCAS Yuma, AZ, in the early ninties.

pcgizzmo

Post by pcgizzmo »

jamisjockey wrote:Call the base. They might honor the permit, or at least let you check your weapon at the front gate so you don't have to leave it off base or in your hotel.
pcgizzmo wrote:I do think it's crazy that military men and women can shoot machine guns, rocket launchers, 50 mm canon's, grenade launchers etc.. but try and have a handgun on base your in trouble. I don't get it. If it was permissible the crazy Dr. at Ft. Hood might not have gotten off so many shots.
All gun laws fail the logic test.
PS, where are the "50 mm cannons"? I'd sure love to shoot one of those.... "rlol"
AlexKilpatrick wrote:I'm not sure if this is still true, but when I lived on a military base I was not able to keep a weapon in my home either. I had to check it in to the security police for the entire time I lived there. I could check it out to go target shooting, but that is about it.

Kind of ironic, IMHO.
When I lived in housing on base, we were allowed to have guns, but they had to be unloaded at all times. They also had to be registered with the Provost Marshall's office before we could bring them on base. We were not allowed weapons of any kind in the barracks. That was onboard MCAS Yuma, AZ, in the early ninties.
Excuse me. I got a little carried away. I meant machine gun. ;-)

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Kind of ironic, IMHO.
Depends on the base and the rules they set for the personnel. Most will still make you check it in with the base police or at the armory and check it out when you want to go shoot. But, I have heard there are some bases that allow you to have a long gun at home, but not sure about pistols.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

While you can't legally carry concealed on post, that doesn't warrant simply leaving it at home imo.

You can do a check, but most bases do NOT have an outright ban on firearms. The standards for firearms on base usually consist of simply registering the firearm with the base provost martial, and storing and traveling with it in the manner dictated by post policy.

Most bases have an online web site you can use to research their policy, and find telephone numbers. I suspect you can call the provost marshal and either pre-register your firearm, or make coordinations to register upon arrival. When you show up, all you would need to do is pull over before going on base, separate your gun from ammo, put your gun in a secure case, and throw them in the trunk. Once you get at the gate, just tell the guards about your gun, and than register it with the provost.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

Topic author
MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

I'm only going to be on base for several hours in the evening for a private party at the NCO club. Since there will be liquor served, I will probably choose to leave it where I'm staying irregardless of whether it's legal or not.

I was merely curious what the rules are, since this is not a scenario I face regularly.

Thanks for all the replies...

jamisjockey

Post by jamisjockey »

pcgizzmo wrote: Excuse me. I got a little carried away. I meant machine gun. ;-)
To continue the fun at your expense theme, where can one find a 50mm machine gun? :evil2:
Keith B wrote:

Kind of ironic, IMHO.
Depends on the base and the rules they set for the personnel. Most will still make you check it in with the base police or at the armory and check it out when you want to go shoot. But, I have heard there are some bases that allow you to have a long gun at home, but not sure about pistols.
When I lived in base housing in '96 and '97, in Yuma AZ, I had a shotgun, .22lr rifle, and 9mm handgun. All were registered on base and kept under my control in my housing unit. I also had a pair of AK's registered to me, but they weren't mine, they belonged to a buddy who lived in the barracks (he didn't want them under the control of the amory, which was notorious for messing with people's guns) :evil2: .

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

jamisjockey wrote:
pcgizzmo wrote: Excuse me. I got a little carried away. I meant machine gun. ;-)
To continue the fun at your expense theme, where can one find a 50mm machine gun? :evil2:
Well, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a 50mm machine gun. Now, maybe a 50mm gun on a German Panzer tank, but not a machine gun.

Do you mean 50 caliber (.5 inches diameter)?
Keith

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I have shot a 20mm "machine gun". Made the 50 cals on the ship look like pipsqueaks and was LOTS more fun. Single barrel, 650+ rounds per minute. What a blast!! Armor piercing tracers, high explosive incendiary, all kinds of fun rounds made for that thing........ :thumbs2: As a matter of fact, that's me in my avatar, just before rockin' and rollin'......Those were the days! :patriot: :txflag: :fire

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”