Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

Post by der Teufel »

I'm not at all sure this is universal, but I recently visited Camp Mabry, which is a National Guard base in Austin. When I went through the gate we all had to show identification, and I handed over my driver's license and CHL. The security guard asked if I had a weapon, and I responded that I did not. He told me that I could bring a weapon onto the base, but that I must declare it, and leave it in the car. I couldn't bring a firearm into any buildings nor (apparently) even wander around outside while carrying. I didn't have to leave it at home, though. Checking the base procedures sounds like a good idea.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

der Teufel wrote:I'm not at all sure this is universal, but I recently visited Camp Mabry, which is a National Guard base in Austin. When I went through the gate we all had to show identification, and I handed over my driver's license and CHL. The security guard asked if I had a weapon, and I responded that I did not. He told me that I could bring a weapon onto the base, but that I must declare it, and leave it in the car. I couldn't bring a firearm into any buildings nor (apparently) even wander around outside while carrying. I didn't have to leave it at home, though. Checking the base procedures sounds like a good idea.
Isn't Camp Mabry a State Guard facility? If so, you would be legal to carry with your CHL. Maybe the guard was thinking of MPA in telling you to leave it in your car.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Mad Moderate
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Mad Moderate »

lonewolf wrote:I have shot a 20mm "machine gun". Made the 50 cals on the ship look like pipsqueaks and was LOTS more fun. Single barrel, 650+ rounds per minute. What a blast!! Armor piercing tracers, high explosive incendiary, all kinds of fun rounds made for that thing........ :thumbs2: As a matter of fact, that's me in my avatar, just before rockin' and rollin'......Those were the days! :patriot: :txflag: :fire
:patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

Crosstimbers Okie

Post by Crosstimbers Okie »

Each installation is slightly different depending on what the commander whats. Outright prohibitions are impossible though. Federal law in Title 10 USC requires that all rifle ranges paid for with government funds be open to the public.

maxlib

Post by maxlib »

lonewolf wrote:I have shot a 20mm "machine gun". Made the 50 cals on the ship look like pipsqueaks and was LOTS more fun. Single barrel, 650+ rounds per minute. What a blast!! Armor piercing tracers, high explosive incendiary, all kinds of fun rounds made for that thing........ :thumbs2: As a matter of fact, that's me in my avatar, just before rockin' and rollin'......Those were the days! :patriot: :txflag: :fire
You should shoot the 25mm chain gun that ships are equipped with now. What a blast! I liked the M2 .50 cal, but now they have dual .50 cals. What a difference 5 years away from sea duty brings. I would have liked to see a crew served version of the CIWS (Close In Weapon System) which is the last line in the layered Air Defense System. Basically a 20mm phalanx six barreled Gatling gun with it's own RADAR and Processor. Could you imagine sending just one burst of that baby at a Somali pirate skiff?
“No, that is the great fallacy; the wisdom of old men. They do not grow wise. They grow careful”. Count Greffi, A Farewell To Arms, Ernest Hemmingway

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Be careful, at many federal military installations, even AMMUNITION in your car can open you up to some serious questioning and detention at some bases. Too many people think state laws apply, but when you drive onto a federal military base, it's no different than entering another country in many cases (border patrols, ID checks at entry areas, etc.).

One thing I would strongly suggest: If you are entering a facility that even bans ammo, and you THINK you might have loose ammo in the vehicle, tell the gate security people your situation and ask them to inspect/approve your vehicle for entry.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Yep, those were the days ;-) Here's one of my babies that I had the pleasure to employ for about a year in '60-'70. Loved that gun!

http://www.aircav.com/cobra/xm35/superah1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

lkd wrote:Be careful, at many federal military installations, even AMMUNITION in your car can open you up to some serious questioning and detention at some bases. Too many people think state laws apply, but when you drive onto a federal military base, it's no different than entering another country in many cases (border patrols, ID checks at entry areas, etc.).
It's been a few years, but I was told to unload my handgun and put the ammo in the trunk, and the empty pistol in the glovebox.

Best to check with the individual base to find out their policies.

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

I was stationed at Ft Hood from 2000-2004. The rule then was you were supposed to tell the gate and then check it in at the Provost Marshall's Office. Once it was on base it had to be unloaded until on the range. The only range I remember being open to the public was the Battle Site Zero Range. All it was good for was sighting in a scope, or some iron sights. Plus the staff there were pretty hostile. They just yelled a lot and would only let you fire three rounds at a time no matter what you were shooting. So you had to load three rounds, shoot, go check your target, sit on the bench, wait, load three rounds, shoot, and on and on. Basically I just didn't ever want to shoot there on my own and never did.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

NavAir

Post by NavAir »

I work at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio one morning a week. I have to remember to take my car gun out of the console the night before, or I could be toast. Absolutely no weapons permitted on base.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

Post by E.Marquez »

Crosstimbers Okie wrote:Each installation is slightly different depending on what the commander whats. Outright prohibitions are impossible though. Federal law in Title 10 USC requires that all rifle ranges paid for with government funds be open to the public.
Possible just a INTERNET forum communication issue.. But, please show me where in Title 10 USC it gives the right to general public to use any range paid for with government funds.

If so, I find it strange that in 25 years,8 states, 3 countries, using, running rifle ranges paid for with government funds, and none of them have ever been open to the public. To the contrary, the General public is specifically prohibited from even being ON the range land, never mind shooting on them. :confused5

Are you speaking to National Guard State owned and managed ranges? even then, while a single range set aside on a Reserve or NG camp might be open to the public on a limited basis, I've never seen all ranges open to general public use...

Very interested in this if you can provide a cite or link..
Thanks
:thumbs2:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

NavAir wrote:I work at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio one morning a week. I have to remember to take my car gun out of the console the night before, or I could be toast. Absolutely no weapons permitted on base.
I spent all last week filling in for the company in San Antonio. I had to go into Ft Sam Houston every day. You do NOT carry unless you like gambling with your freedom. A military base is not someplace you advocate your civilian rights. It is a another world with their own ways. You probably do not want to find out those ways.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

NavAir

Post by NavAir »

sugar land dave wrote:
NavAir wrote:I work at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio one morning a week. I have to remember to take my car gun out of the console the night before, or I could be toast. Absolutely no weapons permitted on base.
I spent all last week filling in for the company in San Antonio. I had to go into Ft Sam Houston every day. You do NOT carry unless you like gambling with your freedom. A military base is not someplace you advocate your civilian rights. It is a another world with their own ways. You probably do not want to find out those ways.
What I said...

alvins

Post by alvins »

once i was in flordia to see my cousins and they were all millitary guys. they told me to leave my gun in their safe rather then try getting it on base. what I had an issue with is that i dont carry my car registration papers and the dude at the gate wanted to see them. he didnt like my answer to look on my windshield at the sticker. i never did get in with my car. oh well.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

There were 50mm cannons, more accurately referred to as a 50mm gun. Lobbing as light a shell as a 50mm would not be highly useful in an artillery piece (cannon).

50mm was a common Anti-Tank gun caliber, though 45mm, 47mm and the like were probably even more prevalent. The Germans put them in Panzer Mk IIIJ's and other Armored Fighting Vehicles.
(Don't forget the 50mm Recoilless Rifle).

Don't take your 50mm on US bases. It is a no-no.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”