Gangland and Texas gang identification

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 6

Gangland and Texas gang identification

Post by Hoi Polloi »

There's a thread from Jan 2010 discussing Gangland, but I've just now encountered this show. I watched the episode on Tango Blast available on YouTube (here is part 1--viewer discretion advised) and was surprised to learn that this Texas gang's insignia is local sports and civic pride related, such as city outlines and team jerseys. Several examples stuck out in my mind of people I've encountered who probably belonged to this gang, but I didn't recognize the signs of membership at the time.

Being able to identify signs of gang affiliation, particularly for those gangs I'm most likely to encounter, is something I had not thought of before. While a pack of youth all wearing identical clothes stands out, a single male teen wearing khaki pants, white shirt, white belt might not have triggered red flags before for me. I found this website http://stophoustongangs.org/ which has pictures and descriptions of gang signs, clothes, colors, insignia, and tattoos for Texas-based gangs, especially those that frequent the Houston area.

Here are the Gangland episodes that seem to be connected to Texas. Many are available on YouTube or similar websites and my husband says they're available on Netflix for instant viewing as well.
Season 1 Episode 3 "Code of Conduct" on the Mexican Mafia
Season 2 Episode 14 (1st of the season) "Maniacal" on the Maniac Latin Disciples who originated in Chicago but are in Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston, TX as well
Season 2 Episode 17 (4th of the season) "Texas Terror" on the Texas Syndicate
Season 3 Episode 31 (6th of the season) "Bandido Army" on the Bandidos Motorcycle Club out of San Antonio
Season 3 Episode 35 (10th of the season) "Die, Snitch, Die" on the Gotti Boyz of New Orleans who moved to Houston following Katrina
Season 4 Episode 44 (7th of the season) "Aryan Terror" on the Aryan Brotherhood of Texas
Season 5 Episode 53 (4th of the season) "Blood River" on the Barrio Azteca along the Rio Grande
Season 5 Episode 57 (8th of the season) "Circle of Death" on the Aryan Circle which originated in Texas jails
Season 5 Episode 61 (12th of the season) "Deadly Blast" on Tango Blast out of Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, and Austin
Season 6 Episode 63 (2nd of the season) "Trinity of Blood" on the Tri-City Bombers and the Texas Chicano Brotherhood

There are a few general non-location-specific episodes as well:
Season 1 Episode 8 "Hate Nation" Skinhead gangs across the United States
Season 1 Episode 11 "Basic Training" Insider's view of how street gangs infiltrate the U.S. military
Season 2 Episode 25 (12th of the season) "From Girl to Gangster" As long as there have been gangs, women have been involved as members and leaders, with some engaged in illegal activities.
Season 4 Episode 45 (8th of the season) "Silent Slaughter" The Sons of Silence, Colorado's largest motorcycle gang, has spread to 36 chapters throughout the world since its inception in the 1960s; undercover agents infiltrate the gang.
Season 5 Episode 51 (2nd of the season) "Klan of Killers" The Imperial Klans of America look to the future
Season 7 Episode 75 (1st of the season) "Most Notorious" The most notorious gang members
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

McKnife
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Gangland and Texas gang identification

Post by McKnife »

I was leaving an Astro's game the other night and was traveling west on I-10 at a pretty good rate of speed... then out of no where I was passed by the loudest motorcycle I've ever heard who had to be going at least 100mph.

It was pretty much a blur, but I could tell he was hispanic and was wearing one of these:

He didn't look like the friendliest person in the world. I just know I'm glad I carry. We just need to modify Texas law to remove professional sporting events from prohibited places.
:coolgleamA:

Ameer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ameer »

McKnife wrote:He didn't look like the friendliest person in the world. I just know I'm glad I carry. We just need to modify Texas law to remove professional sporting events from prohibited places.
The politicians put those restrictions in the law so you would be easy pickings for criminals.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

McKnife

Post by McKnife »

Ameer wrote:
McKnife wrote:He didn't look like the friendliest person in the world. I just know I'm glad I carry. We just need to modify Texas law to remove professional sporting events from prohibited places.
The politicians put those restrictions in the law so you would be easy pickings for criminals.
No kidding. If you've ever walked from a stadium to a parking lot in a major metropolitan area, you'll understand why we need to change the law!

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

:iagree:

In addition to sports, the Woods cultists are lying when they say gangs don't set foot on campus. The information posted by Hoi Polloi shows the truth to anyone who knows how to read the signs.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

McKnife wrote:
It was pretty much a blur, but I could tell he was hispanic and was wearing one of these:

He didn't look like the friendliest person in the world. I just know I'm glad I carry. We just need to modify Texas law to remove professional sporting events from prohibited places.
What does this person being Hispanic have to do with anything?

Topic author
Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:
McKnife wrote:

It was interesting to me that the gangs that originate in the penal system are raced based. The gang members and the officers from diverse locations clearly said that previous affiliations or rivalries are completely set aside once inside the jail. They self-segregate by race into Hispanic, Black, Asian, and Caucasian gangs. Those race-based prison gangs are then making their way out onto the street.

In the Tango Blast episode I watched, a Tango member said a guy from a Black gang was being inappropriate with himself in the chow hall and someone from the Hispanic gang went and put him in his place. From there, word spread that the Tangos were at war with the other gang whose name I don't recall. He described it as all the Hispanics versus all the Blacks and it was almost instantly mass chaos. It took something like 6 hours for combined law enforcement to return control to the jail after the riot. It didn't make sense to me how it went from discussing one gang against another to discussing one race against another until I watched the Most Notorious video and the jailers showed the segregation and the gangsters discussed how all gang affiliations are set aside for race affiliation in the prison system. Edit to add the link to that segment, which is here. The section on prison gangs starts at 3:10 and the section on race in the prison gangs starts at 4:20.

Here's an example from LA where a gang rivalry has become a race war.
Last edited by Hoi Polloi on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:
McKnife wrote:

I was wondering how he could be sure the guy was Hispanic while blasting past him at 100 mph (in a blur) on a motorcycle at night.

McKnife

Post by McKnife »

Simply stating facts. :roll: Other facts: he was male (assuming), he was very heavy, he had long dark hair flapping around under a bandanna, he was on a motorcycle, he was traveling really fast, he was (IMO) reckless and had tattoos. I concluded nothing other than he portrayed a gang member, which is related to the OP's post.
I was wondering how he could be sure the guy was Hispanic while blasting past him at 100 mph (in a blur) on a motorcycle at night.
*sigh* The "blur" I referenced was in regards to his license plate (flapping in the wind) and his headlight. I've seen a lot of Hispanics in my time here in Texas and this guy looked very much like one. He could have been Hawaiian or even Inuit, but seeing as he was a Bandido, whose headquarters is in San Antonio, I'm confident he was Hispanic.

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

McKnife wrote:
Simply stating facts. :roll: Other facts: he was male (assuming), he was very heavy, he had long dark hair flapping around under a bandanna, he was on a motorcycle, he was traveling really fast, he was (IMO) reckless and had tattoos. I concluded nothing other than he portrayed a gang member, which is related to the OP's post.
*sigh* The "blur" I referenced was in regards to his license plate (flapping in the wind) and his headlight. I've seen a lot of Hispanics in my time here in Texas and this guy looked very much like one. He could have been Hawaiian or even Inuit, but seeing as he was a Bandido, whose headquarters is in San Antonio, I'm confident he was Hispanic.
Just asking, Bandidos aren't typically Hispanic.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

McKnife wrote:*sigh* The "blur" I referenced was in regards to his license plate (flapping in the wind) and his headlight. I've seen a lot of Hispanics in my time here in Texas and this guy looked very much like one. He could have been Hawaiian or even Inuit, but seeing as he was a Bandido, whose headquarters is in San Antonio, I'm confident he was Hispanic.
*sigh* Your post said nothing about a license plate flapping in the wind or a headlight. The reason I asked is I have watched bikers go past me at high speeds and the last thing I could have done is give a description of the person that includes race. Especially at night. At that speed, they come up out of nowhere and zip by almost before you know what it is. I was pretty sure you were saying hispanic in the mistaken belief that Bandido MC members are all hispanic. One does not have to be hispanic to be in the Bandido Motorcycle club.

McKnife

Post by McKnife »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
McKnife wrote:*sigh* The "blur" I referenced was in regards to his license plate (flapping in the wind) and his headlight. I've seen a lot of Hispanics in my time here in Texas and this guy looked very much like one. He could have been Hawaiian or even Inuit, but seeing as he was a Bandido, whose headquarters is in San Antonio, I'm confident he was Hispanic.
*sigh* Your post said nothing about a license plate flapping in the wind or a headlight. The reason I asked is I have watched bikers go past me at high speeds and the last thing I could have done is give a description of the person that includes race. Especially at night. At that speed, they come up out of nowhere and zip by almost before you know what it is. I was pretty sure you were saying hispanic in the mistaken belief that Bandido MC members are all hispanic. One does not have to be hispanic to be in the Bandido Motorcycle club.
I don't mention every tiny detail in every situation I talk about because frankly, it doesn't matter. As I told Carry-A-Kimber, I'm simply giving facts about a non-issue that was similar to the OP.

If you don't want to believe my experience or description, that's fine. However, your comments doubting my encounter/description are unappreciated because they're essentially call me a liar. Not that it matters, but Bandidos are mostly Caucasian and Hispanic, but I would guess that have members of every race or color. Heck, they are worldwide including Germany and Australia, but I'm sure you know that. Seeing a Hispanic Bandido... in Texas... is not exactly uncommon.

Click on the link in the OP. Watch the Gangland episodes of the Bandidos. They're rather interesting. :tiphat:

Texas Size 11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texas Size 11 »

I watch that show pretty religiously and have most of the season on DVD. It's always nice to know who the scumbags are in your neck of the woods.

I've seen some Bandidos on the highways from time to time, but don't think I have come into contact with any of the others. At least that I know of...
Never pet a burning dog...

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

McKnife wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
I don't mention every tiny detail in every situation I talk about because frankly, it doesn't matter. As I told Carry-A-Kimber, I'm simply giving facts about a non-issue that was similar to the OP.

If you don't want to believe my experience or description, that's fine. However, your comments doubting my encounter/description are unappreciated because they're essentially call me a liar. Not that it matters, but Bandidos are mostly Caucasian and Hispanic, but I would guess that have members of every race or color. Heck, they are worldwide including Germany and Australia, but I'm sure you know that. Seeing a Hispanic Bandido... in Texas... is not exactly uncommon.

Click on the link in the OP. Watch the Gangland episodes of the Bandidos. They're rather interesting. :tiphat:

:iagree:

Seems like the 1% er's are less racist (culturalist?)... than sociopathic, and psychopathic. So for a Texas "club" I'd assume that an Hispanic Bandido wouldn't be that unusual. I mean they/we are >25% of the (Texas) population.

Now if we were in Norway and the motorcycle guy was black, that might be a story... :smilelol5:

Like you said, the guy might have been Inuit, Pacific Islander,....maybe Italian or Arab... or (Heaven forbid!), Mexican or "Tejano"?

:smash:

Now when someone says they saw an Irish MS-13 gang member in Boston shaking down the local bodega... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

The Gangland series is quite shocking in showing how these gang member live
and do their business.

But although they are bad actors, it seems like they usually stick to their own
low rent parts of cities, and tend to mix it up criminally with other gangs more so
than the average working citizen.

My theory on this is that if the gang members started too much random violence on
decent people, the LEO's would turn up the heat fast, and make it too hard on the
gangbangers to travel around and "do business".

Anyone have another perspective for where these gangbangers fit into life?

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”