Which states have "high capacity magazine" laws?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Dutch
Posts in topic: 3

Which states have "high capacity magazine" laws?

Post by Dutch »

I'm traveling to Virginia via Arkansas and Tennessee. I used http://www.handgunlaw.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to review the general handgun laws and the biggest differences I could find were that Arkansas does not allow CCW in Churches, any kind of notification or places that have income >40% from alcohol sales. Tennessee and Virginia are generally more permissive than Texas (the laws seem easier to follow with fewer exceptions) and neither requires notification when you are pulled over.

The link I used did not address 11+ round magazines. My standard magazines are 13 round and I want to make sure that is not an issue.

tomc
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Which states have "high capacity magazine" laws?

Post by tomc »

Here is a link that lists magazine capacity limits by state that I found:

http://www.gunfiredeals.com/High_Capaci ... e_s/48.htm

I seem to recall that Virginia does or did have a magazine restriction for rifles of no more than 20 rounds, but the limit did not apply to those with a VA Concealed Carry License. Don't quote me though!

Another link on handgunlaw.us:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf
be safe,
be prepared,
tomc

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

The guy in the Yankee's jersey with that crazy accent said NY does not allow mags with more than 10 rounds.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Thanks, looks like I'm covered in AR, TN and VA.

Can't CC in D.C. at all and my Mags are under the 20 round limit of Maryland (the only places I might go in addition to the previous 3)

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Dutch wrote:Thanks, looks like I'm covered in AR, TN and VA.

Can't CC in D.C. at all and my Mags are under the 20 round limit of Maryland (the only places I might go in addition to the previous 3)
MD is a "May Issue" State that does NOT accept any out of State CHLs. Given that in-State citizens are unlikely to get a concealed permit, I doubt that any of us would get a non-resident one.

We traveled through Maryland and secured the guns following Federal firearms transport procedures. I hoped that MD honored those. NJ does not.
Last edited by chasfm11 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

tomc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tomc »

Dutch wrote:Thanks, looks like I'm covered in AR, TN and VA.

I would not recommend going into Maryland with your firearm if you plan on stopping and visiting someplace. Maryland is very gun-unfriendly and even if your firearm is locked in the trunk unloaded, if you get stopped for any reason you may encounter an abundance of gun-hating LEO's.
be safe,
be prepared,
tomc

Topic author
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Thanks,

Not planning on going to MD especially now.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Yeah, stay out of MD with guns. Their laws aren't as bad as NY/NJ/MA but they give it a good shot. Northern VA isn't much better as far as attitude, but at least VA has strong state preemption of gun laws.

Only states that restrict possession of standard cap mags are Cali and the usual suspects in the Northeast. Even MD doesn't prohibit possession-- it is illegal to receive them in the state, so all the MD shooters buy them in VA or PA.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

TEX

Post by TEX »

I may be mistaken, but I though hi-cap swere legal in Californi aif you opwned them before a certime cut off date. How you would prove you ionwedthem before that cutoff date other than a receipt, I don't know.
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

TEX wrote:I may be mistaken, but I though hi-cap swere legal in Californi aif you opwned them before a certime cut off date. How you would prove you ionwedthem before that cutoff date other than a receipt, I don't know.
That is correct. The burden of proof is on the government to prove that you obtained the magazines after the ban.
Psalm 91:2

Fisherman74

Post by Fisherman74 »

We all need to keep in mind, normal/standard capacity or reduced capacity. Anything else is made up by those against 2a.

gtac

Post by gtac »

hirundo82 wrote:... Even MD doesn't prohibit possession-- it is illegal to receive them in the state, so all the MD shooters buy them in VA or PA.

That's right. Maryland's annoying 20 round mag limit applies only to transfer or manufacture. Possession and use are perfectly legal. It's such a small state, we can easily make a short drive to Virginia or Pennsylvania and stock up on standard-capacity mags.

Return to “Other States”