Trip to Heck ... I mean NJ/NY

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
terryg
Posts in topic: 4

Trip to Heck ... I mean NJ/NY

Post by terryg »

In early November, I will again be traveling to NJ/NY. This will be my first trip there since getting my CHL.

I generally fly in to Newark and then drive up the Hudson to a hotel just north of the border in NY. The company I am seeing has offices just south of the border in NJ.

I knew I would not be able to carry during the trip. But as best as I can tell from http://www.handgunlaw.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, it looks like I won't even be able to safely bring it with me for protection in the hotel room. :mad5

Is that pretty right, or am I missing something?

BTW, it is really pretty country up there - once you get out of the slum that is Newark/Manhattan.
Last edited by terryg on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Trip to Heck ... I mean NJ/NY

Post by Teamless »

simply put, leave it in Houston.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

terryg wrote:In early November, I will again be traveling to NJ/NY. This will be my first trip there since getting my CHL.

I generally fly in to Newark and then drive up the Hudson to a hotel just north of the border in NY. The company I am seeing has offices just south of the border in NJ.

I knew I would not be able to carry in during the trip. But as best as I can tell from http://www.handgunlaw.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, it looks like I won't even be able to safely bring it with me for protection in the hotel room. :mad5

BTW, it is really pretty country up there - once you get out of the slum that is Newark/Manhattan.
IANAL, but that's the way it was last time I checked.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
terryg
Posts in topic: 4

Post by terryg »

Thanks - that is what I thought. I'm not even sure if I can get away with pepper spray.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

philip964

Post by philip964 »

You are going into the mouth of the dragon as far as guns are concerned. Make sure you don't have any of those stray bullets or mags on you either.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Middle Age Russ »

In early November, I will again be traveling to NJ/NY.
My condolences.

Good advice already posted. Keep your situational awareness up and avoid everything you can that is risky or threatening.

Godspeed.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Like you said, it is pretty country...once away from the madding crowd.

We RV'd across northern California and up the Oregon coast a couple of years back. I felt quite vulnerable but we made it. You'll probably be all right. :mrgreen:

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

terryg wrote:In early November, I will again be traveling to NJ/NY. This will be my first trip there since getting my CHL.

I knew I would not be able to carry during the trip. But as best as I can tell from http://www.handgunlaw.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, it looks like I won't even be able to safely bring it with me for protection in the hotel room. :mad5

My suggestion is: IF you can avoid entering either state, do so. :thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

I have to do that trip to inlaws on a regular basis and yeah you gotta leave it at home to be safe from the LEO's there. I suggest a few rocks in your pocket when traveling there--they at least can hurt if flung hard enough--and I am lethal in my aim and so is DH with rocks.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Kinda makes me wonder if slingshots are regulated there. I bet if the authorities have looked into it, ammo pouches are probably limited to no more than ten projectiles, though.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

NJ a sling shot is a felony---NY it is ok--I looked into it. :banghead: I think slings (thing David and Goliath) are ok in both--not sure 100% on that one.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

Middle Age Russ wrote:Kinda makes me wonder if slingshots are regulated there. I bet if the authorities have looked into it, ammo pouches are probably limited to no more than ten projectiles, though.
The answer is yes, of course.

Here's a link to an attorney's overview of what's prohibited.

Scroll down the page to the "Other Prohibited Items" heading to find slingshots.

New Jersey is a bit of the UK in the U.S. About the only thing you can legally do when attacked in New Jersey is submit and die.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Stay out of new Jersey
I have heard stories about LEO stopping people coming and going to gun ranges
THEN CHARGING THEM WITH Felony posesion of rifles shotguns
Last edited by tommyg on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

jocat54

Post by jocat54 »

Oldgringo wrote:Like you said, it is pretty country...once away from the madding crowd.

We RV'd across northern California and up the Oregon coast a couple of years back. I felt quite vulnerable but we made it. You'll probably be all right. :mrgreen:

I guess I never really thought about it, we took the motorhome on a 5 week trip from Texas to Maine and went through most of New England states and always had my gun in the motorhome, didn't carry it while out doing tourist things though.

And yes New York state is beautiful away from the big cities.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

imjester77

Post by imjester77 »

ah...put on a blue or red bandana, and lower your pants 3-4 " and you can carry all day long and not get bothered! but what ever you do....and I mean this...Do not try that wearing a suit and tie, or look respectable! You will be spending the remainder of your adult life in court and or jail! G/L
Taurus 24/7 DS .40, Springfield XD .40

Took course: 2/21/09
sent in paperwork: 2/22/09
application recieved: 2/24/09
processing application: 3/7/09
application returned : 5/12/09
resubmitted: 5/14/09
Still waiting on south region backround check: 8/2/09
sent off for printing: 8/25/09

Return to “Other States”