Topic author
RAM4171
Posts in topic: 3
Location: On a dead end dirt road in the deep dark woods of East TEXAS

Old Brass?

Post by RAM4171 »

I've thinking about gearing up to reload, and I've come to a conclusion
BRASS IS EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!
My question is about picking up and using old brass thats been on the range for a while.
My dad and I have had our private range in the same spot since 1990 and have never picked up our brass so I know that I could pick up all of the brass that I need to get started.
Is it okay to pick up brass that's been laying on the range for years?
I look forward to reading input from all of ya'll experienced reloaders. :tiphat:
I've been crunching the numbers and just can't get them to work out right to save money by reloading and buying new brass.
Thanks in advace for your input
Also, any input that a newbie might need would be appreciated
Μολὼν λαβέ
Jesus was not politically correct, therefore I refuse to be
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic-TN

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Old Brass?

Post by MoJo »

"Old" brass may not be real shiny but it's OK as far as I'm concerned. Be sure to clean it well to get all dirt and debris off and inspect it for damage before you reload it. Have fun!
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Griz44

Post by Griz44 »

The issue you need to add to buying new brass is the number of times you can re-use it. You buy new brass once, you don't have to pay for it when you re-use it. Some of my 45 auto brass has been reloaded 20 times or more. New at 20-25 cents each still makes the cost only a penny each on reloads.
Buy powder and primers in bulk, from a shipper like Grafs or Powder Valley. That saves a bunch on reloading supplies. Gte a group buy together and share the hazmat and shipping with a few friends. This drives the cost down even more. Cast your own lead, save even more! My projectiles only cost me a little bit of gas to melt lead.
I have the cost of my pistol reloads down to less than $5.00 per hundred. (45ACP, 44 Special, 45 Colt, 38 Special, 38 super, 380, 9mm, 40S&W)

Topic author
RAM4171

Post by RAM4171 »

Kinda what I was figuring. I was just being hopeful thanks for the insight Andy I always value you esteemed opinion. :tiphat:
Μολὼν λαβέ
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic-TN

T.O.M.

Post by T.O.M. »

Old brass dose not mean BAD I have been loading Mil surpluss 30-06 from the 40S with no problems if its damaged from being out side ie walked on or corroded that somthing differnt wash it dry it tumble it

Topic author
RAM4171

Post by RAM4171 »

http://oncefiredbrass.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just came across this and man they got some decent prices, $70/1000 for Fiochi and $80/1000 for federal.
Add these http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14521 ... gr_RN.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with primers and powder and you're looking at about $250-$280/1000 on the first loading.
Anybody know a better source for bullets? Other than casting them yourself, although I've checked a little bit into that and it's less expensive to get in to than handloading alone is. Maybe in the future if the handloading thing works for me.
Μολὼν λαβέ

Texas Size 11

Post by Texas Size 11 »

It's sort of a one time occurence. Once you buy it, keep picking it up and reloading it. I also buy ammo that I get a real good deal on from time to time and reload it after it has been fired. I have more brass than I will probably ever reload and have only purchased used brass once or twice.
Never pet a burning dog...

Return to “Reloading Forum”