glock 28 in .380

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Re: glock 28 in .380

Post by apostate »

It doesn't have enough points because of caliber. See http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-5.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

glock27 wrote:im not sure what im looking at there....
Fancy way to say, "Not enough US parts to permit importation."
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits the importation of guns which are unsuitable for sporting purposes, but the determination of whether they are suitable is left up to the ATF. The ATF has established the linked rating system to make that determination and, since .380 only gets 3 point while 9mm or greater gets 10 points, the .380 Glocks are not eligible for importation.

Since I believe Glock makes their guns for the US market in Georgia, they could make them here and sell them without worrying about the GCA import criteria but they must not think it is worth it. I would tend to agree with them--the G25 and G28 are quite large for a .380 and are unlikely to make inroads in the concealed carry or law enforcement markets. They are most popular in markets that disallow civilian ownership of larger calibers or those used by the military. They are quite popular in Mexico for example, since .380 ACP and .38spl are the largest calibers civilians can own.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Tallinthesaddle

Post by Tallinthesaddle »

One would think with the ever increasing concealed pistol market, especially over the last 2-3 years, Glock would activate an assembly line for .380 pistols here in the U.S. I would buy one for sure. Maybe their marketing scheme doesn't include that notion, and for sure a 1911!

michael e

Post by michael e »

Tallinthesaddle wrote:One would think with the ever increasing concealed pistol market, especially over the last 2-3 years, Glock would activate an assembly line for .380 pistols here in the U.S. I would buy one for sure. Maybe their marketing scheme doesn't include that notion, and for sure a 1911!
They are the same size as the G19/23/32/38 and G26/27/33 so they really wouldnt gain any market share since its not a pocket 380. Now dont get me wrong if they offered them I would get them since already own the rest. Only real advantage would be if someone felt the 9mm or larger calibers was too much for them.

Slappinthecatgut

Post by Slappinthecatgut »

I can't wait for glock to come out with a single stack sub compact

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

hirundo82 wrote:
The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits the importation of guns which are unsuitable for sporting purposes
What was their logic? There are several non-sporting perfectly legal reasons for importing a gun.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Dave2 wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits the importation of guns which are unsuitable for sporting purposes
What was their logic? There are several non-sporting perfectly legal reasons for importing a gun.
logic and gun laws don't belong in the same sentence.

What random person got to decide no rifles with a barrel under 16 inches? (I know, it was to keep them from being concealable)
TANSTAAFL

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”