No More Certificates

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Crossfire
Posts in topic: 4

No More Certificates

Post by Crossfire »

Just got notice from DPS that they are combining the certificates with the TR-100. So, no more certificates, but each TR-100 will now be numbered. Oh, and we now have to pay $5 for each TR-100. Supposedly, this is to help eliminate the problems with duplicate certificate numbers.

I like that this cuts, by one, the number of documents I have to prepare for each student. But, I still see a large opportunity for printing errors resulting in duplicate numbers.

What do you think about this?
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

wrt45
Posts in topic: 3

Re: No More Certificates

Post by wrt45 »

llwatson wrote:Just got notice from DPS that they are combining the certificates with the TR-100. So, no more certificates, but each TR-100 will now be numbered. Oh, and we now have to pay $5 for each TR-100. Supposedly, this is to help eliminate the problems with duplicate certificate numbers.

I like that this cuts, by one, the number of documents I have to prepare for each student. But, I still see a large opportunity for printing errors resulting in duplicate numbers.

What do you think about this?
I haven't seen anything about this yet. Was it on the website (haven't looked in several days) ?

I don't know if it will help too much. I guess it really depends on what was causing the duplicate numbers. I haven't had a problem, so I don't really know.

My only thought is that some people like having the certificate to hang up. For the most part I'm with you....one less document for me to manage.

Topic author
Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Not on the website. Got it in the mail.

G.C.Montgomery
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

Got the same letter yesterday. I am glad to see it. I asked why these were seperate documents when I attended the new instructors' school last year...I only got blank looks at the time. I guess the answer was "Because we've always done it that way."
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

wrt45

Post by wrt45 »

Got my letter this afternoon. Made sense........

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

I just got in a new batch - including the blue-bordered certs. Marion said they are gonna use 'em up before issuing the new ones. Oh well. Kinda used to the routine.

But ... it will be nice to eliminate some more paperwork one of these days. How about you guys (and girls) order a boatload now, so they'll get maybe send me some of the new kind next order? ;-)
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

Good Morning Greybeard

I sure hate to hear that, I just finished signing 100 of those thing's and was so glad I wouldn't have to do that again, I thought that would be the last of them :cry: when I get them in I alway's fill in everything but the date and their name.

When thinking about the certificate numbers, I have alway's thought that it would make more sense to issue us the license #'s and fill that in on both the application and TR100, rather than issue a two different #'s per person.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Greybeard wrote:I. How about you guys (and girls) order a boatload now, so they'll get maybe send me some of the new kind next order? ;-)
That's a great idea! Just put em on your credit card, or bill to your address? :grin:
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Got first batch of numbered TR-100s in mail today.

Heck, the "blue borders" we have left in stock might even fetch a premium as a "collector item", especially from those who want to hang on their I-love-me-wall. ;-)
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Got mine today too. So tell me, why are we still paying $5 apiece for these?

wrt45

Post by wrt45 »

llwatson wrote:Got mine today too. So tell me, why are we still paying $5 apiece for these?
Because we are all well trained by the government bureaucracies.......

JohnTheHead

Post by JohnTheHead »

I've wondered for some time why they cost $5.00. I know that the whole packet costs the state money, and I don't mind paying, but if I don't order packets, I still pay $5.00.

I have considered not giving out the certificates before. They are pretty much useless, and most students look at me blankly when I tell them "No, that doesn't go in to the state. You can hang it on your wall if you want..."

I like the idea of not having to deal with certificates, but I would rather them simply send me blank TR100s and a list of cert numbers. Or do away with the concept all together and simply go by CHL number/Application number. I guess, in a way, the cert number has a few advantages... In case a student wants to go online and pay by credit card, you won't have their CHL/App number when you complete the TR100. And I suppose it's another layer of accountability.

But having the TR100s pre-numbered will require me to change around my MS Word document that I used to print everything.

The only thing I fill in by hand is the signatures. I print EVERYTHING, including the data on fingerprint cards and photo backs. I have an excel file that I use to put in all of the data, and then I just pull stuff up in word and run the forms through the printer. Much easier for me, but I'm pretty computer savvy.

If anyone wants copies of my handy little files, let me know. They are a time saver if you are of a geekly nature...

-Head

Topic author
Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I would love to have a copy of your files. I have been printing certificates that way, but not TR-100s. I wasn't sure how well my printer would handle them.

I also built an Access database to keep student records, and to generate my completion reports to DPS. Like you, I try not to hand write anything I don't have to!

If you could email that to me, that would be great.

JohnTheHead

Post by JohnTheHead »

Send me a PM with your e-mail address... I may try to get it up on the web, but I'm not sure when I'll quite be able to do that... I can get it e-mailed out pretty quick though...

I have it pulling info from an excel file, but it wouldn't be hard to have it pull info from an access DB instead...

-Head

Return to “Instructors' Corner”