Scary Medical Questions

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Running Arrow Bill
Posts in topic: 1

Scary Medical Questions

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

As a Veteran, I have regular check-ups with our VA clinic provider. The past 2 or 3 years, the nurse does an updated "history checklist". Questions being asked include alcohol consumption, smoking, having anxiety, being angry (or similar), considering harm to others, etc.

This is a double-edged sword! On the positive side, they are checking to see if you need any medical or Doctor's help. On the negative side, I am guessing that any "bad" answers a Veteran gives will go into your medical record which will be subject to retrieval/review by the Government (aka Obama and Liberals) to allegedly and potentially come back to jeopardize one's CHL (or) legal possession of firearms.

Just some information, and my opinion, for what's its worth...
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

n5wd
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Scary Medical Questions

Post by n5wd »

Didn't you ever wonder, before you took the paranoid pills, whether the answers to the questions that providers routinely ask were going to go into your permanent medical records? Of course they are - that's why they ask the questions. That way, your doc can look at your answers over the years to see how those answers change, to give hints on how your medical and mental status is changing as you age.

As for being available to the (insert your favorite conspiracy group name here), did you ever wonder where all the VA employees were working before Obama was elected president? Yep, they were mostly working for the VA in Georgie's administration, with the VA in Clinton's administration, then in Daddy's administration... and...

If you're THAT worried about what the VA knows about you - do what most of us other veterans do. Find a private doc.

But, be warned... they'll still ask most of the same questions each year during an annual physical exam.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

n5wd wrote:Didn't you ever wonder, before you took the paranoid pills, whether the answers to the questions that providers routinely ask were going to go into your permanent medical records? Of course they are - that's why they ask the questions.

As for being available to the (insert your favorite conspiracy group name here), did you ever wonder where all the VA employees were working before Obama was elected president? Yep, they were mostly working for the VA in Georgie's administration, with the VA in Clinton's administration, then in Daddy's administration... and...

If you're THAT worried about what the VA knows about you - do what most of us other veterans do. Find a private doc.

But, be warned... they'll still ask most of the same questions each year during an annual physical exam.
:roll:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Not to feed the paranoia, but your medical information is shared in ways you'd never imagine. Even with HIPAA law, insurance companies and medical providers have figured all sorts of ways to circumvent the protection supposedly in the legislation. I get weekly phone calls (I got one an hour ago) at all times of the day and night and numerous letters offering me help to manage my health issues and offers for medical supplies and equipment based on my health condition.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Is it really paranoia when they really are out to get you?
http://www.patriotactionnetwork.com/new ... hts-by-va/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Liberty wrote:Is it really paranoia when they really are out to get you?
http://www.patriotactionnetwork.com/new ... hts-by-va/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:iagree:

N5, va has a proven history of being anti gun. Its not paranoia when its true. :???:
TANSTAAFL

Medic624
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Medic624 »

"Sept 9 2011 the US Hoise Veterans Affairs Committee passed an amendment The Veterans Second Amendment Protection Act which was added to H.R. 2349"
American Rifleman- December 2011 pg. 71

This provides Vets with the added protection against the loss of the right to possess firearms due to mental health decisions...
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Medic624 wrote:"Sept 9 2011 the US Hoise Veterans Affairs Committee passed an amendment The Veterans Second Amendment Protection Act which was added to H.R. 2349"

This provides Vets with the added protection against the loss of the right to possess firearms due to mental health decisions...
Do you think that will stop them?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Like I said - if you don't want the VA messin' in your affairs, find a private doc.

As far as the 100,000 veterans who've lost the ability to purchase a new gun because the VA has given their name to the NICS because of mental insufficiency... if you're not able to handle your own money, pay the bills, handle your own meds, all the things that a person living in our society has to be able to do, and if someone has to be given a power-of-attorney to do those things for you - ya really think it's a great idea to let them buy a new firearm? We're not talking your average 25-year old Iraqi or Afghan vet, here...

My father, bless his soul, a veteran of WW2, Korea, Vietnam and a few other brush fires in-between got to the point where he couldn't manage his affairs. He couldn't be counted on the pay his bills, couldn't remember whether he had taken his meds or not... finally diagnosed as rapid onset alzheimers and spinal stenosis. At one time, after watching some show on the Military Channel decided he wanted an M1 carbine. Fortunately, the nursing home had rules about that, but if he had been living in a less structured environment like a group home or something similar, you really think that it would have been a good idea for us to take him down and help him buy such a weapon? Can't believe, no matter what your views of the 2nd amendment are, that anyone with common sense would have thought it to be a good idea.

To me, it's like a driver's license. Some folks should be able to keep driving till the day they die. Others, not so much. Gotta decide that on an individual basis. Which is, apparently, what's happened with the 100,000 vets you're talking about, cause no one's come out and said "all vets lose their ability to purchase firearms at age XXX."

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

:iagree: All that, and one more thing- I dont mind curse words (i'm a sailor, and have been known to use them myself on a fairly regular basis) but others on here would prefer to read without them.
No More Signature

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

n5wd wrote:As far as the 100,000 veterans who've lost the ability to purchase a new gun because the VA has given their name to the NICS because of mental insufficiency... if you're not able to handle your own money, pay the bills, handle your own meds, all the things that a person living in our society has to be able to do, and if someone has to be given a power-of-attorney to do those things for you - ya really think it's a great idea to let them buy a new firearm? We're not talking your average 25-year old Iraqi or Afghan vet, here...
They may or may not be competent to own guns, but they are still being denied their Second Amendment rights without due process of law. There are definitely people who shouldn't own guns due to their mental state, but that's a determination that needs to be made by a court, not a doctor acting on his own.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

NRA Radio followed this for sometime. Drs called in discussing it who were also pro-gun individuals. Apparently, JAMA as well as a pediatric journal had articles by a Dr's espousing that pediatricians should require that question to asked (do you own guns) and if there was a "yes" response, the Drs would advise them to store them outside of the home. Also, if the individuals showed any signs of depression. Of course this was to cover themselves for malpractice. According to the discussions, most Drs ignore this but the anti-gunners use it. Apparently, some nations (South Africa and Australia) used the health care issue in part to get the gun bans passed....esp with gvt mandated health care. Is it a concern? Yes. Is it widely practiced? No. In fact, I have seen the questionnaire and it is stated that if you do not wish to answer and question, you may leave it blank. EDIT: This is in regards to private Drs, not VA specific.
Last edited by wgoforth on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Medic624
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Medic624 »

puma guy wrote:
Medic624 wrote:"Sept 9 2011 the US Hoise Veterans Affairs Committee passed an amendment The Veterans Second Amendment Protection Act which was added to H.R. 2349"

Do you think that will stop them?
Well, if you are referring to the Govt. from infringing on individual 2nd Amendment rights... Well, I can't say one way or the other... I was simply providing additional information in response to the OP. I can't give an informed answer to your question without a pretty large supposition because I don't know directly if it would or not.

Would I place money that they wouldn't? Probably not...but at least someone saw this as a possible issue and made an attempt to keep their individual rights intact...
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

hirundo82 wrote:
n5wd wrote:As far as the 100,000 veterans who've lost the ability to purchase a new gun because the VA has given their name to the NICS because of mental insufficiency... if you're not able to handle your own money, pay the bills, handle your own meds, all the things that a person living in our society has to be able to do, and if someone has to be given a power-of-attorney to do those things for you - ya really think it's a great idea to let them buy a new firearm? We're not talking your average 25-year old Iraqi or Afghan vet, here...
They may or may not be competent to own guns, but they are still being denied their Second Amendment rights without due process of law.
You're right. Sometimes it's the families that make that determination, and seek guardianship. Sometimes it is an agency that advocates for seniors that initiates the process. Sometimes, it's a physician, working for the VA or someone else that starts the process. But, as far as I know (and because of the family's situation with my father, we became very familiar with the process) no one can have their civil rights taken away without a court's approval, except (in the state of Texas as probably it is for other states) for a 72-hour detention to determine competency, at which time a judge then gets involved unless the patient is released.Many folks never have the 72-hour emergency detention because they don't/can't protest the actions of the person seeking guardianship. Even folks that are rejected on the NICS check have a built-in appeal process.

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

Well aware of my health situation due to two combat deployments, my VA and civilian doc went out of their way to help me attain my Chl. I must be one of the lucky ones.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”