Denny's customer shoots @ armed robbers

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

zigzag
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Denny's customer shoots @ armed robbers

Post by zigzag »

Glad no one got hurt.

alvins

Post by alvins »

personally i wouldnt be shooting at them unless they threatened me. Now I probably would have pulled it and hidden ready to defend myself.

mbw

Post by mbw »

The channel 2 web page reports that the CHL holder was the only customer at the time of the robbery.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Custo ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder who fired first? From the article it sounds like the customer fired the first shots.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

mbw wrote:The channel 2 web page reports that the CHL holder was the only customer at the time of the robbery.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Custo ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder who fired first? From the article it sounds like the customer fired the first shots.
If somebody is threatening you with deadly force, it's usually advisable to be the first to fire.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Big Meg

Post by Big Meg »

mrvmax wrote:My wife was asking me what I would have done if I had been there. BTW, I normally carry my STI Trojan in 45 ACP and two extra mags (if I am wearing cargo shorts like I do most of the year, I sometimes carry two more magazines in my cargo pockets for a total of four extra mags). This time of year when I wear pants I also carry my LCP in an ankle holster with an extra mag. To be honest, I would be reluctant to do anything until I was convinced they were going to harm someone. I know it may be hard to tell since they can shoot someone in a split second, but I'm not taking the chance of hitting an innocent person unless I am forced to. I also realize I am not a police officer and I am not a superhero so I am not obliged to protect the world. There are just too many "what ifs" to sit here and say what I would have done. The first thing I would have done was to shield my family and draw my gun under the table. I guess it would be a stressful waiting game after that for a few seconds until I determined what to do. Maybe others think this is an easy decision, but for me it is a difficult call.

+1

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

Big Meg wrote:
mrvmax wrote:My wife was asking me what I would have done if I had been there. BTW, I normally carry my STI Trojan in 45 ACP and two extra mags (if I am wearing cargo shorts like I do most of the year, I sometimes carry two more magazines in my cargo pockets for a total of four extra mags). This time of year when I wear pants I also carry my LCP in an ankle holster with an extra mag. To be honest, I would be reluctant to do anything until I was convinced they were going to harm someone. I know it may be hard to tell since they can shoot someone in a split second, but I'm not taking the chance of hitting an innocent person unless I am forced to. I also realize I am not a police officer and I am not a superhero so I am not obliged to protect the world. There are just too many "what ifs" to sit here and say what I would have done. The first thing I would have done was to shield my family and draw my gun under the table. I guess it would be a stressful waiting game after that for a few seconds until I determined what to do. Maybe others think this is an easy decision, but for me it is a difficult call.

+1
Right answer! Give the man a cigar, Bill.

TxFig

Post by TxFig »

Piney wrote: I consider that past the legal (and perhaps moral?) definition of self defense and shooting to stop the threat. As one sees the BG driving off or his/her backside out the doorway- the threat is effectively stopped.

I'm not saying I would or would not have done what the armed citizen in this case did, but I absolutely disagree with your assertion in the above quoted text. Just because someone has turned and is running NOW does not mean the threat has ceased. IMO, the threat has not ceased until 1 of 2 conditions have been met:

(1) the threat is GONE
(2) the threat is no longer moving

IOW, so long as they are still present and moving, they are still a threat.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

Observations:

Moving to the parking lot does not necessarily mean leaving. Out if sight is not "gone".
An armed felon moving away may be moving toward another victim, signalling for reinforcements, or going for the heavier weapons.
The threat may change, but it's still there until prey or predator is completely gone.
Moving to the exit may allow a better view of the situation, and better decisions from that point.
Chasing is generally a bad idea. Overwatch of their withdrawal, not so bad. Getting descriptions and license plates, good.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

threoh8 wrote:Observations:

Moving to the parking lot does not necessarily mean leaving. Out if sight is not "gone".
An armed felon moving away may be moving toward another victim, signalling for reinforcements, or going for the heavier weapons.
The threat may change, but it's still there until prey or predator is completely gone.
Moving to the exit may allow a better view of the situation, and better decisions from that point.
Chasing is generally a bad idea. Overwatch of their withdrawal, not so bad. Getting descriptions and license plates, good.
I would have to agree.

IMHO staying inside the Restaurant and not trying to observe what the BGs are up to can lead to fatal consequences.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sugar land dave »

DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

Purplehood wrote:
threoh8 wrote:Observations:

I would have to agree.

IMHO staying inside the Restaurant and not trying to observe what the BGs are up to can lead to fatal consequences.
Your eggs will be cold when you get back to your table and nobody likes cold eggs - certainly not the Oldgringo. Just shoot 'em on sight, what's the problem?

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

TxFig wrote:
Piney wrote: I consider that past the legal (and perhaps moral?) definition of self defense and shooting to stop the threat. As one sees the BG driving off or his/her backside out the doorway- the threat is effectively stopped.

I'm not saying I would or would not have done what the armed citizen in this case did, but I absolutely disagree with your assertion in the above quoted text. Just because someone has turned and is running NOW does not mean the threat has ceased. IMO, the threat has not ceased until 1 of 2 conditions have been met:

(1) the threat is GONE
(2) the threat is no longer moving

IOW, so long as they are still present and moving, they are still a threat.

...it's not about a "threat"...the shooting happened during the commission of an aggravated robbery...and deadly force is authorized...even while they're fleeing the parking lot...
...the caveat is to remember that every bullet has a lawyer tied to it...make sure to hit your intended target...

Return to “The Crime Blotter”