Sig 1911's

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rwg3
Posts in topic: 4

Sig 1911's

Post by rwg3 »

I have decided to acquire a full size 1911. I love my P238, sort of a mini version of the big one. I have been looking and test firing different models and really like the Sigs, but before I plunk down my cash I was hoping a quick check with the collective experiences here would show any negatives that might be out there. I dont know enought about the design particulars to know if the type of extractor (internal v external) is an issue, or if because it is a Sig it will just work as well as any others. I have had nothing but good experiences with my other Sigs and would expect no less from this model.
Dang it all the stainless model with the burled maple grips has been showing up in my dreams for too long to ignore. Somebody tell me it will be all right. :mrgreen:
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

68Charger
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Sig 1911's

Post by 68Charger »

They're fine shooting weapons. I know there was problems with some of their first generation models.. the GSR series, I think? I'm not sure, just what I heard at the range, gun shops, friends, etc..

I handled the C3 at the range a few weeks ago and it shot well. It's a great purchase.

I'm eying a Sig Ultra Two Tone right now. It's a bit cheaper than a Kimber, and still looks fabulous.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... -tone.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers. :cheers2:
We don't need no stinking badges!

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I have a later GSR and it's a very nice weapon.
My favorite 1911, very accurate, and nice to look at.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

varko

Post by varko »

I have an Ultra Two-Tone. Flawless so far. However, I’ve only put 200 rounds of WWB through it. I love the grips. I plan on making it my EDC as soon as I get more rounds through it; especially some hollowpoints. A coworker of mine loves the fact that it looks like a big twin brother to his P238…..keeps wanting me to sell it to him.
And if I were called upon to identify briefly the principal trait of the entire twentieth century, here too, I would be unable to find anything more precise and pithy than to repeat once again: Men have forgotten God. - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

I'm jealous, Sir. You want to send me some pics of it? I've only seen pictures on the net, never actually seen a 'real' one that's owned by someone.

Thanks, mate.

Now back to the thread... ;p
We don't need no stinking badges!

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I don't have a bit of problem with the external extractor. In fact I probably prefer it.
It's much the more common design, once you get away from 1911s
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Tow2500
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tow2500 »

I have a sig XO 1911 and i love it.

Topic author
rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it. Now the shopping begins .
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My GSR Carry Stainless was a treacherous harlot, and I traded her in for a 3" Kimber and never looked back.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

I tried a Kimber compact as the first .45 pistol I ever shot. It is a great pistol. A 5'' model is number two on my list right now.
I am sorry that your Sig experience was not satisfactory. Upon reflection would you consider the problems you encountered to be endemic to the design and production, or a bad individual weapon? I have read that some of the early production runs when Sig first brought out their line-up had issues.
Thanks

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

IIRC the early guns with problems had some sort of round place on the right side of the slide, behind the extractor. Maybe 3/8" in diameter. Not sure what it was for or if it had anything to do with the issues, but I recall making a mental note to avoid those with that feature.
-----------

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rwg3 wrote:I tried a Kimber compact as the first .45 pistol I ever shot. It is a great pistol. A 5'' model is number two on my list right now.
I am sorry that your Sig experience was not satisfactory. Upon reflection would you consider the problems you encountered to be endemic to the design and production, or a bad individual weapon? I have read that some of the early production runs when Sig first brought out their line-up had issues.
Thanks
I don't really know. I bought the pistol as a CPO gun, and it had a brand new barrel and other parts in it. I was the first owner after it had been factory refurbished, and it really was like buying a brand new pistol. It was a very attractive gun, but it just jammed all the time, and nothing seemed to fix the problem. I spent some gunsmithing money on it, but to no avail, and I finally decided that it was an overrated piece of crap and traded it in. When I say "jammed al the time," I mean ALL the time. I was never able to get more than 2 or 3 shots in a row off without a jam. Sometimes it was FTF, other times it was FTE. There never seemed to be any logic to it. I paid $699 for the gun. After about 6 months or so, I got $569 in trade for it, which I used as store credit toward the $929 I paid for my Stainless Ultra Carry II. So I wrote off the $130 and called it an expensive lesson in buying Sig 1911s.

I bought the pistol based on Sig's impressive reputation, assuming that they knew how to build a 1911, but I didn't do any research on Sig 1911 reliability or other issues. Shame on me. After I tried shooting it and experience multiple failures, I started doing research on them, and that is when I learned that there was an ongoing reputation for problems with these pistols. Sig may have dealt with the problem, and perhaps their 1911s are now as reliable as anybody else's. They are undeniably attractive guns. And, when I could get mine to fire, it was VERY accurate—more accurate than my Kimber. But it was completely unreliable, and I was afraid to carry it. Given that I had such a bad experience, and given that they are very expensive guns, I probably will never again risk the purchase price of another Sig 1911. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

My 3" Kimber UC II has been a wonderful pistol. My son's Kimber Pro Raptor has been flawless. His fiancé's Pro Carry II has been flawess. My friend who bought a Pro Carry II on my recommendation has had nothing but perfection from it. Pretty much everybody I know who owns a Kimber is very satisfied with it. In fact, the only bad experiences I've ever read of with Kimbers have been posted on this forum, and those are few and far between. Mine came with a flawed part, of which the factory was already aware that some of their pistols had shipped with this part. I phone them, and the replacement part—the slide stop lever—was in my mailbox a few days later and it dropped right in...no fuss, no muss. I have read of complaints about Kimber customer service, but my own experience with them was entirely positive.

I would never recommend a Sig 911 to anybody I cared about. I would not hesitate to recommend a Kimber 1911 to anyone I cared about. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not. Your mileage may vary, and all that stuff.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

Thank you very much.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”