Any Austin Rifle Club members?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
brainman
Posts in topic: 4

Any Austin Rifle Club members?

Post by brainman »

Are there any members (or former members) of Austin Rifle Club on here?

I'm thinking of joining and wonder what yall think of the place.

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Any Austin Rifle Club members?

Post by OldCannon »

brainman wrote:Are there any members (or former members) of Austin Rifle Club on here?

I'm thinking of joining and wonder what yall think of the place.
If they're nearby for you, and you like shooting outdoors, it's a great bargain. I'm no longer an ARC member because I use Best of The West in Liberty Hill, which has ranges out to 1000 yds. There's a cost premium with BOTW though, so if you're happy with a limit of a 200yd range, ARC is a pretty good deal.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

former member.

its a good club; I didn't renew because I just wasn't going often enough after moving West of Austin.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

gringop

Post by gringop »

I've been a member for 15 years. For the price it can't be beat.

Pros:
All outdoor ranges, no indoor lead breathing and magnum concussion reflection.
11 different ranges, from 17 yards to 200 yards.
You can draw from the holster, no time limit between shots.
Ranges are open sunrise to 30 min before sunset, 365 days. (unless there is a special event)
IDPA, USPSA, Benchrest, Silhouette, Service Rifle and Bullseye Pistol matches regularly.
Video surveillance and electronic key card access.
Club has been in existence in one form or another since around 1910.

Cons:
You must bring your own targets and on some ranges target backers, stands and sticks.
You can't shoot on the move or setup stages in the action bays unless it is a match or scheduled practice with certified safety officers,
Only certain firearms can be shot on certain ranges. This is safety related and understandable but it means you must do a bit of range juggling.
The process to join the club is a bit involved and lengthy. ( I see this as a PRO because it keeps out the thugs and most of the dirt shooters.)

Come out and join.

Gringop

Topic author
brainman

Post by brainman »

It's not near as close to me as Red's, but closer than the other outdoor places.

You are right about the involved process to join. I did the safety evaluation and am now signed up for the range orientation. Eventually, I'll be in. :thewave

daveboyd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by daveboyd »

I have emailed two or three of their range safety officers and none of them seem to be able to make time for my first step in the process. I have given up on joining the ARC. I'll gladly take my money to Reds or Best of the West.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I belong. I like having the gate card and go shoot whenever I want. I prefer week days as it's quiet. I don't like how we can't "move and shoot" but am going to start up the IDPA there to do that. It's a safety issue with no RSO on staff.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

daveboyd wrote:I have emailed two or three of their range safety officers and none of them seem to be able to make time for my first step in the process. I have given up on joining the ARC. I'll gladly take my money to Reds or Best of the West.
I have to defend the RSO's. The entire outfit is volunteer including the RSO's. They have a fairly easy website and if you follow this link, you can learn how to become a member.

http://austinrifleclub.org/index.php?op ... &Itemid=73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

They had a range orientation today.... .1st sunday of every month. Check that link I posted and you can go to the next one and join.

daveboyd

Post by daveboyd »

texanjoker wrote:They had a range orientation today.... .1st sunday of every month. Check that link I posted and you can go to the next one and join.
I can't attend Range Orientation until I can meet with a RSO for the initial evaluation. I have read through the steps on the site and have tried on three occasions to setup a time to meet someone there. I completely respect the RSO's volunteering their time, but there has to be a better way to coordinate with new potential members. Their site just list about 8 RSO's and it says to email one to setup a time. I emailed one and he wasn't available. He said maybe try RSO #2 or #3 so I emailed them and both were busy.

Why not put together some sort of schedule, just like the range orienation. Do it the first or second weekend of the month. I have decided not to waste any more time. I'll just continue to head to Reds or drive out to Best of the West. I can put the $200 towards another pistol I guess.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Interesting..that is something new. They didn't do that when I joined in 07. I would recommend you send an email to the club president with your concerns. If this is happening to you, then it probably is to others as well. The following page has their contact information.

http://austinrifleclub.org/index.php?op ... &Itemid=63" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Superdavetx

Post by Superdavetx »

Maybe slightly off topic, but I will give another vote for Best of the West!

Thought you lived in RR, but now not sure.. so never mind on that point.

You can be a member there to reduce the price, but prices are less than Reds to begin with.

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

Member here, 6 years.

Some of those rule changes came about in the last couple of years. Also, you must devote a certain amount of time as volunteer before you can be a voting member.
Weekends are usually IDPA/IPSC matches which limits a little more what ranges you can use. They have club sponsored competitions too. They also have a monthly (1st Saturday) maintenance day to clean up and make necessary repairs where they shut down most of the range for the day, but they do have a calendar on their website to be sure you don't run into any conflicts.

It's supposed to be a "club", where there are meetings and elections of board members and voting on bylaws and such, but most people use it as only a range to go to and forgo the politics.

Best deal all around for all things considered, but it just depends on your preferences.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

Topic author
brainman

Post by brainman »

I finally finished my volunteer time. The first two weren't bad, but the last one was 5 hours of digging ditches. Not fun.

It's a great range; it's just too bad I don't have any ammo to spare at this point.

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

As a club member and being very appreciative of your volunteer time, what ammo are you short of?

I might be able to chip in and help you out with that.

:txflag:
TSRA Life Memeber

Return to “Shooting Ranges”