Pictures of your "Black Guns"

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

LabRat
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Pictures of your "Black Guns"

Post by LabRat »

texanron wrote:
LabRat wrote:Here is my newest addition:

POF P308
14.5"
7.62x51mm
On the rail: EOTech Holographic Weapon Sight

I didn't need it, I wanted it.....OK, you got me! I NEEDED it!

Hog gun??

Thanks for lookin'!

LabRat
Nice Rig LabRat!
Keith B wrote:So how often do you have to iron your POF? I have the permanent press model.
"rlol"
Sorry to be late responding.....missed the responses until today. Have been quite busy, sorry.

Thanks for the good thoughts and congrats.

I iron when I can! :lol: (It was the best platform I could find, but camera would not catch the last tiny bit of the barrel.)

Its a 14.5" barrel, just barely getting past the NFA restrictions. Flash suppressor is a permanent mount, so it will stay legal.

From what I've been able to research, effective range is out to between 400 and 500 meters. That's OK with me, as I really intend it to be a short range hunting weapon or a PDW.

The weight is about 11 lbs as shown. Very little plastic on this one. The pistol grip and shoulder stock are about the only thing plastic. All else is metal.

I wanted something with a little heft to it; I'm 6'4" at about 290 lbs, so totin' it around is no problem.

I like the fact that its made in the USA (Arizona) :patriot: , no lube required and takes standard MagPul 20 rounders compatible with an AR10.

I didn't know how hard those things were to find!! Like hen's teeth.

Finally found 3 at Bullet Trap in Plano; so I bought 'em all.

No range time yet; but hoping to go real soon. Man, .308 and 7.62 ammo are not cheap!

Reloading is likely in my future!

Best to all,
labrat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Skiprr »

Got my POF in October 2009 after a 16-month wait:

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=14417&p=334792#p334792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The photos are old, and before Troy flip-ups front and rear, an EOTech and flip-to-side magnifier, Harris bipod, and Spec-Ops sling. But the rifle looks just the same.

I ordered it at entirely the wrong time, it turns out, but in the end I'll take the long wait from the factory 'cause if I could have only a single rifle, this would be the one.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

H2O MAN
Posts in topic: 6

Post by H2O MAN »

A new video for you POF owners ~ LINK
https://www.facebook.com/M14HDW.US" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

Skiprr wrote:Got my POF in October 2009 after a 16-month wait:

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=14417&p=334792#p334792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The photos are old, and before Troy flip-ups front and rear, an EOTech and flip-to-side magnifier, Harris bipod, and Spec-Ops sling. But the rifle looks just the same.

I ordered it at entirely the wrong time, it turns out, but in the end I'll take the long wait from the factory 'cause if I could have only a single rifle, this would be the one.
Excellent setup! What a beauty!

Thanks for the photos!

Glad to hear you enjoy the rifle.

All the best,
LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

FishInTx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by FishInTx »

Stoeger
Savage
Mossberg
Remington
Glock
Taurus
SA
Photo0275-001.jpg

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 49

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Skiprr wrote:Got my POF in October 2009 after a 16-month wait:

Skiprr, have you had a chance to compare it to a regular gas-impingement AR10 of otherwise comparable configuration?

I love my AR10, but I'll admit that it seems to be finicky about ammo......not from a reliability perspective, but from an accuracy perspective. After talking to 2 or 3 other AR10 shooters who had booths at the Silencers are Legal event at Elm Fork last weekend, the consensus was that AR10s are not as easy peasy to set up as AR15s. I don't know if that's true for most, but it has certainly been true for me. I've just had the devil's own time trying to track down a reloading "sweet spot" for mine. It should be a .5-.75 MOA rifle. So far, the best I've been able to get out of it is 1.0-1.5 MOA.......not to shabby for a battle rifle, but mine is configured as a SASS, and it should do much better than that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Chef Sig

Post by Chef Sig »

My first pics and post, glad to be here.
Attachments
Sighting it in
Sighting it in
Bayou Rifles day
Bayou Rifles day

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Skiprr »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Skiprr, have you had a chance to compare it to a regular gas-impingement AR10 of otherwise comparable configuration?

I love my AR10, but I'll admit that it seems to be finicky about ammo......not from a reliability perspective, but from an accuracy perspective. After talking to 2 or 3 other AR10 shooters who had booths at the Silencers are Legal event at Elm Fork last weekend, the consensus was that AR10s are not as easy peasy to set up as AR15s. I don't know if that's true for most, but it has certainly been true for me. I've just had the devil's own time trying to track down a reloading "sweet spot" for mine. It should be a .5-.75 MOA rifle. So far, the best I've been able to get out of it is 1.0-1.5 MOA.......not to shabby for a battle rifle, but mine is configured as a SASS, and it should do much better than that.
Sorry for the late response, but you weren't missing anything. I've never owned an AR10 platform; have pulled the trigger on some a few times, as well on FAL and M1A platforms, but I'm not experienced enough to comment about relative accuracy.

Too boot, I'm not a long-range shooter. If I can put rounds in a six-inch circle at 200 yards, that's about as good as it gets for me. My POF is setup primarily as a CQB rifle, with the 16.5" barrel and a red-dot sight plus flip-to-side magnifier. So I can't hope for sub MOA shots even at 100 yards--'cause I can't hold on anything finer than 1 MOA anyway--and I've never fixed the rifle in a sled to test mechanical accuracy.

And I don't hand-load, so have never tried to fine-tune the 7.62 ammo for the POF. That said, the best accuracy results I've had--and this is strictly anecdotal, meaning I might have had better trigger control one day than another--have been with Hornady 155-grain A-MAX Match, Federal 165-grain Trophy Bonded (the load with a 2,700 fps muzzle velocity; there is a different, hotter Federal load that also uses this bullet), and Hornady 168-grain TAP. I would have thought the 155-grain bullet would have performed less predictably than the heavier ones. Holdover is different at longer ranges, natch, but I think the A-MAX is the most accurate I've shot, overall.

All that aside, I wouldn't think the POF gas piston system would be any more or less mechanically accurate than a more traditional Stoner-like platform. I mean, lock-up and extraction isn't inherently different. I'd think it would mostly come down to the barrel.

Of interest is that POF originally offered a 24" barrel option, but settled on 20" as the longest barrel. My understanding is that the 24-incher was less accurate than shorter barrels, including the 16.5, because the longer dwell time allowed more bullet-travel impact from the motion caused by the gun's reciprocating action. One additional reason that a long-barreled semi-auto may be less accurate than a bolt-action piece.

Fit, finish, and other stuff notwithstanding, the most important feature of the POF for me is the gas piston system. Even moderate .308 loads feel barely stiffer than shooting a .223. Follow-up shots are easy and quick. Too, very little internal build-up occurs while shooting. After 50 rounds of either Hornady load, the bolt carrier group doesn't even look like it needs a wipe-down. I generally shoot cheaper Prvi or milsurp brass, but even then the fouling is negligible.

Maybe, if I get rich, I'll get a second POF with a 20" barrel, put a real scope on it, and try to hit something farther out than 200 yards. :mrgreen:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

AR-15Texan

Post by AR-15Texan »

DPMS AP-4 5.56 with some Magpul love!!! Love this site!

Terlingueno

Post by Terlingueno »

Just finished this one...
Last edited by Terlingueno on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

The evil black rifles...

Custom 14.5" build with a CMMG .22 conversion, RRA Entry Tactical 16", Bushmaster 20" M16A2 clone

"black guns" would include these I suppose..

Rem700 .243, Rem700 SPS Tac .308

10/22 with VQ internals, cut to 16.5" and threaded for my SWR Spectre.

Savage Mark II FV-SR

Kimberfortyfive

Post by Kimberfortyfive »

sporter 7.62x39
Attachments
Sporter 7.6x39
Sporter 7.6x39

APynckel

Post by APynckel »

My new Savage Mark II FV-SR (awaiting the BATFE paperwork for my sparrow)

Last edited by APynckel on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Lifetime Member

texanron
Posts in topic: 6

Post by texanron »

Lots of good additions to this thread lately.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

My first "black gun"
Picked it up at the Pawn for $147

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”