Hog hunting questions

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

rickyrick
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Hog hunting questions

Post by rickyrick »

I skimmed this real quick, I'll read more later.

I am a very experienced hog exterminator. Legally it's considered hunting but not to me really.

Anyhow I kill hundreds of hogs per year I give away as many as I can, but you can't guarantee
A final disposition if you are gonna control numbers. I know it's a touchy subject among sportsmen, so that's why this paragraph is sort of a disclaimer to prevent some arguments later. Sportsmen cannot control hogs. Once the cooler is full, sportsmen quit. To impact hog populations you have to feed the coyotes. That being said, even though they are vermin, I believe in a clean kill and I account for the final disposition of every bullet.

Now, I have shot hogs with several popular caliber choices and believe it or not, the winner of the most effective cartridge goes to.......... Drum roll please..............223 rem.......tada!

But, most serious pig killing is up close, I know some people hunt them from deer stands at
longer ranges, so, for that I'd say use a bottle neck .30 cal of some type.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

Due to their considerable overpopulation, aren't they now considered little more than overgrown rats with no bag limit? Is a hunting license even required since there is no "season" or bag limit?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AlphaWhiskey
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AlphaWhiskey »

Yes, you still need a license for hunting "exotics" for hogs. Well worth the small purchase price!

rickyrick

Post by rickyrick »

Ok to the tips;
Find out where they travel to and from. Rooting is obvious. Check barbed wire for pig hair and a trail going under learn to decipher pig tracks from goats, deer and other split hoof animals, under some conditions they can be confused. Generally, pig hooves spread out more and dew claws show in some soil. Left un disturbed, they will follow somewhat of a routine. And follow paths.

Once you figure out where they are setting up shop at night, it's easy just to sit back and wait for them to show up.... For a few times... Then they will move, and shift show times. If its just a fun hunt, you will have probably have gotten one by then. A large group of pigs is fun. Once the first shot rings out, get out of the scope put the safety on and watch the mayhem ensue. Unless you are away from livestock you probably won't get a second shot off, you might wanna pay attention. They don't intentionally attack as people like to portray, unless cornered. They will accidently run into you.

You can bait to get the attention of hogs that are in the area, corn or soured corn works best. However, no amount of bait will bring pigs to an area where pigs ain't already. Sometimes a lone boar will pass through and find it.

If you have a deer stand with a feeder running and a water source nearby, you will probably have pigs, with their little buddy raccoons working the dispenser for between schedule snacking.

The little itty bitty piggies can have a bad attitude Lol

grevengrevs

Post by grevengrevs »

I went out in February of last year with a workmate before he retired. We hunted with 223's and I have to agree they were some nasty animals. Definitely not appealing to see them and then imagine them in a sandwich.
Happily serving in the USAF.

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

AlphaWhiskey wrote:Yes, you still need a license for hunting "exotics" for hogs. Well worth the small purchase price!
Not always true. A license is not required for hunting depredating feral hogs on private property in Texas.

Topic author
Rusty Wrenches

Post by Rusty Wrenches »

Can anyone verify that last reply for me about not needing a license?
glock 19

carry whenever and wherever possible. you never know when you'll need it. its not being paranoid, its being prepared.

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Rusty Wrenches wrote:Can anyone verify that last reply for me about not needing a license?
Sure.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Rusty Wrenches wrote:Can anyone verify that last reply for me about not needing a license?
A license IS required (with a few exceptions).

If you choose to go the "depredation' route be prepared to show ample evidence of it or risk some serious fines. Also, you may not possess the carcass of the animal if taken under the depredation exception.

Its just so much easier to get the inexpensive license.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:
Sure.
Note the Hunting Education requirements still apply.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

flintknapper wrote:
A license IS required (with a few exceptions).

If you choose to go the "depredation' route be prepared to show ample evidence of it or risk some serious fines. Also, you may not possess the carcass of the animal if taken under the depredation exception.

Its just so much easier to get the inexpensive license.
:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

:clapping: I'm exempt from the Hunter Education Training Course! :grumble :leaving
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote::clapping: I'm exempt from the Hunter Education Training Course! :grumble :leaving
How come?
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

WildBill wrote:
C-dub wrote::clapping: I'm exempt from the Hunter Education Training Course! :grumble :leaving
How come?
Born before 9.2.71

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote:
WildBill wrote:
How come?
Born before 9.2.71
I got you beat! :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Hunting Photos”