Dumb question about a gun safe

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Katygunnut
Posts in topic: 2

Dumb question about a gun safe

Post by Katygunnut »

OK, so I have a nice Cannon safe and it has a couple outlets on the inside of the safe, as well as a USB port (I have no idea why I would possibly need to plug something into a USB port from inside the safe). The interior power outlets look standard enough.

On the outside of the safe, there is a "male" plug that I can presumably plug into an extension cord and then a wall outlet.

The problem is that the "male" plug on the outside of the safe is recessed into the body of the safe and there is no room to fit a standard extension cord in there. Every extension cord I can find has too much plastic around the holes on the "female" end, so that the plug literally will not fit into the recessed hole. Also, the male plugs seem to be way too close together to possibly fit into a standard extension cord.

I called Cannon to ask whether I need a special type of extension cord, but they were adamant that any standard extension cord should work just fine.

What am I missing here?

fickman

Re: Dumb question about a gun safe

Post by fickman »

Katygunnut wrote:I have no idea why I would possibly need to plug something into a USB port from inside the safe
I can't answer your main question.

As for the USB port, I'd assume 1 of 2 things:
1. The USB port is powered once the safe is plugged in. You might have valuables that charge via USB that you'd like to keep safe and fully charged.

2. The safe itself has a feature that can be controlled via a laptop to control some features (built-in clock? auto-unlock windows? change the combination?) or has the possibility of adding peripherals e.g. small light, thermometer, humidity gauge?

I think #1 is most likely. If #2 hasn't been invented yet. . . well. . . business idea?
Native Texian

jacobsd8195
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jacobsd8195 »

Try a standard computer power cable. They have a slightly different configuration on the female end that might work.

DocV

Post by DocV »

Pics and measurements?

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

The USB port is for charging electronics. I think Cannon refers to it as media panel or something similar.

The power cord for a pc fits into a recess and is somewhat triangular in configuration and shape. I am looking at one as I type this. Check out this pic and if it matches, pay the postage and I will send it to you. (you shouldnt have a problem finding one laying around you can get for free)

http://www.connectworld.net/tenten/power_cables.html
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

tornado

Post by tornado »

jacobsd8195 wrote:Try a standard computer power cable. They have a slightly different configuration on the female end that might work.
:iagree:
Does it maybe look like this ?
If so, it uses a PC power cable. They're recessed like you describe.

EDIT: I had loaded this page before Jim Beaux posted, but it took me a while to read it.

stealthfightrf17

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

the power cord should be a standered computer cord setup, as for the USB, it allows you to have a usb device (ex. harddrive) locked in the safe and have acess to it from the outside. There should be another usb port on the outside of the safe in the back

tonzofphun

Post by tonzofphun »

IIRC, one use for the USB is to have a hard drive inside the safe that stores CCTV data from your home security camera[s].

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

Looks like the electrical cord should have come with the safe.
Electrical Outlet (Select Models)
Electric outlets are pre‐installed on select model safes. Some assembly required:
Locate the power cord inside the safe.
• Insert the plug into the electrical access hole in the back of the safe.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfIma ... 840c4b.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

fickman

Post by fickman »

tonzofphun wrote:IIRC, one use for the USB is to have a hard drive inside the safe that stores CCTV data from your home security camera[s].
:idea:
That makes sense to me!
Native Texian

Topic author
Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

Thanks for all the replies. It does look like the pic, and I will try a computer power cord to see if that works.

I probably lost the original cord that came with the safe. I had the safe in a closet with no power outlets for about a year and a half after I bought it. I just got divorced and in the confusion of moving everything out, I managed to misplace a few things.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”