Great Southwest Gun Range

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
misterholt
Posts in topic: 5

Great Southwest Gun Range

Post by misterholt »

Went there last week. Read some bad reviews online but didn't really have any merit when we were there. Staff was pretty friendly. Good selection of guns. Just wish they had more lanes. Heck if people would go and shoot they might could afford to buy another unit.... Not an employee just a patron.
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." Matt 5:9

Topic author
misterholt

Re: Great Southwest Gun Range

Post by misterholt »

Also Winchester Gallery is right down from my house, love the location and the shooting lane in abundance but not necessarily the people that attend there. Anyone else use these two places or have testimonies?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

My wife and I went to the Winchester Gallery shooting range about a month ago. They were not real crowded and was a nice place. It was not too expensive the best I remember, but they had ZERO air on the actual range.

DFW Gun range has air :tiphat: it is closer to us and I get a discount! :hurry:

Topic author
misterholt

Post by misterholt »

Where is DFW at?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

misterholt wrote:Where is DFW at?
1607 West Mockingbird Lane http://www.mapquest.com/maps?address=16 ... irect=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dfwgun.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
misterholt

Post by misterholt »

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Sorry I was so slow. Keith is the too fast.

Topic author
misterholt

Post by misterholt »

Sweet! I work off of Carl Road in Irving. I'll have to check it out.

TexGalRK

Post by TexGalRK »

My husband and I go up to Winchester whenever we can, to get in some shootin' time. Crowded or not, we always seem to get a lane and the people are always nice enough to us. My hubby is always chatty and friendly with them and they in turn are friendly right back. Never seen em grump...well except when one of the guys that works there ended up with a nasty bite from a Desert Eagle. Ouch! It gets stuffy in there sometime, but never intolerable. I like it...in fact am going this week hopefully!

My $.02... :fire

RK~ :txflag:

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

I've only been to GSW once and had a fantastic experience.
The staff was friendly and polite and didn't have that typical gun shop attitude.
Its not the most high tech facility but so what?

Good people, fair prices. A+ in my book.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

lorih

Post by lorih »

My husband and I are newbies and just started shooting this summer. Everyone at Great Southwest Gun Range has really taken us under their wing and made us feel comfortable from our first Basic Handgun Class with Curtis to walking us through breaking in new guns. They've never been too busy to walk out to the range and fire a few rounds if I thought something wasn't quite right with my gun... without making me feel like "the little lady", and they even found a bad trigger spring in my brand new Sig p238. When we first started shooting we checked out Lone Star in Weatherford, and Winchester in Ft. Worth, and both were fine, but I like it when I walk in the door at a place and they say, "hey how's it go'in" and they're genuinely glad that you're there. When it comes to taking care of customers, GSW is great and you can't go wrong!

ALCSTUDIOS

Post by ALCSTUDIOS »

I don't mean to revive an old thread but didn't want to start a new one, another thumbs up for Great Southwest, wife and I have been there twice and was better than expected, friendly people, nice lanes and a pretty good selection of guns. The 2nd time we went we took my wifes parents who have never shot pistols before (they do own rifles) and they both got slide bit, a female staff member had band aids for their boo boos.

This place is awesome and now our "home" range
NRA,GOA,TFC TSRA & SAF member

TheCytochromeC

Post by TheCytochromeC »

I figured I'd put my .02$ in. I stop by GSW pretty often as they are near my work. There is/was, (I'm unsure if he's still employed there) one employee who my mother referred to as a bad word, which means he must have been such a bad word. He's usually heavily armed, open carrying 2-3 pistols simultaneously, with body armor and his WASR behind the counter. Other than that guy who thinks every day is "bring your arsenal to work day", the people there are very nice and friendly.

They have a decent selection now, slightly marked up but nothing too crazy. They have a selection of AR-15 parts like stocks and rails and such. They don't pressure you into buying something and they will always welcome you back. The range is pretty limited and fills up quickly on the weekends. The staff hasn't charged me to test fire a rifle/handgun or load. All in all they are a handgun based and rifle friendly short indoor range located just where one should be.

ALCSTUDIOS

Post by ALCSTUDIOS »

TheCytochromeC wrote:I figured I'd put my .02$ in. I stop by GSW pretty often as they are near my work. There is/was, (I'm unsure if he's still employed there) one employee who my mother referred to as a bad word, which means he must have been such a bad word. He's usually heavily armed, open carrying 2-3 pistols simultaneously, with body armor and his WASR behind the counter. Other than that guy who thinks every day is "bring your arsenal to work day", the people there are very nice and friendly.

They have a decent selection now, slightly marked up but nothing too crazy. They have a selection of AR-15 parts like stocks and rails and such. They don't pressure you into buying something and they will always welcome you back. The range is pretty limited and fills up quickly on the weekends. The staff hasn't charged me to test fire a rifle/handgun or load. All in all they are a handgun based and rifle friendly short indoor range located just where one should be.
Sorry your mother had a bad experience there, I think I know who you are talking about, he does a dry sense of humor but is a very nice guy. Talk to him for a few minutes and you soon realize he's just a gun lover like the rest of us. Honestly I have never went to a gun range and had a problem with what someone was carrying but maybe it's just me.
NRA,GOA,TFC TSRA & SAF member

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

I went there with a couple coworkers after a meeting once... one who's getting his CHL, and one who'd never ever held a gun before, let alone shot one. We were just there to shoot pistols, but our neighbor to the left was constantly switching between a 1911 and an AK. The guy was, um, a VERY INTENSE person who liked to swear a lot, and was VERY INTENSE. At one point, he ejected a live round out of his AK, so I picked it up for him and we got to talking. From the way he'd been acting and talking, I was kinda expecting him to be a jerk... I was wrong. He ended up being a real nice VERY INTENSE guy (I think he'd just had one too many gallons of coffee for breakfast or something). As none of us had shot one before, he insisted we all put a mag through his AK (which was fun, and quite generous of him).

Anyway, all that to say, I've only been there once, we all had a great time.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”