45 acp brass with small primer pockets

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Don2
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 45 acp brass with small primer pockets

Post by Don2 »

Seabear wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:There is one advantage to small primer .45 cases. If your other pistol calibers are also small primer like 9mm and .40 S&W, you only need to deal with buying one pistol primer type and the small primer system for your press.
Yep, that's the main reason why I use it, and now that I am also loading .38spcl for my R8 which has a Michulek spring kit in it I will only be using Federal primers in everything. I'll just have to stock one primer for pistols. :thumbs2:

For those that aren't aware, Federal primers are much softer and will fire even with the lighter strike from the reduced spring.
That's pretty much my thought too, I only have LPP 45 auto brass now, but I load 380,9mm,38/357 too, would be nice to only have SPP's.
About 4 years ago around this same time :grumble , LPP's were hard to find locally along with a bunch of other stuff.
I always keep a stock of SPP's because of the other calibers.
I'm not sure what name brand brass besides Federal has spp's 45 auto??
Do you know? I have not kept up with them.

Ps...How do you like that R8 pistol? I have several 357's but like my old S&W Mod-28 Highway Patrolman best..!!
I bet it's a lot lighter.....

Don2

michael e
Posts in topic: 1

Post by michael e »

I still have to load 10mm and 44mag so the change doesn't help me. I still have about 1k 45 lpp brass but have noticed a lot of my range pick up is leaning towards more spp lately.

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NcongruNt »

CCI/Blazer does SPP .45, as well as some varieties of Winchester, namely the NT (non-toxic) stuff.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Seabear
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Seabear »

Don2 wrote:[
Ps...How do you like that R8 pistol? I have several 357's but like my old S&W Mod-28 Highway Patrolman best..!!
I bet it's a lot lighter.....

Don2
Sorry I missed this post Don

I love my R8. It acted up in the beginning and I had to get the trigger , cylinder stop and stop spring replaced. I hope the new one lasts longer.

It is lighter than the stainless model and I did that thinking it would put the gun into action faster on speed matches. I'm loading Berry's 125 gr plated bullet over 3.8 grains of Trailboss which is very mild. With the Miculek Springs as well as some fine tuning by me on the main spring screw and a little polish here and there I can keep up with most of the Semi auto shooters. That really bugs them. LOL I love it. :coolgleamA:
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

Return to “Reloading Forum”