Any Austin Rifle Club members?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
brainman
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Any Austin Rifle Club members?

Post by brainman »

Dang, Eureka. That is very generous of you. In these times of unavailability, I couldn't take you up on that offer. I do have the minimum I'm comfortable keeping on hand for emergencies, and I'm ok with that amount. I'm just not comfortable dipping into that when I don't when I'll be able to replace what I shoot. So thank you, but I'll be ok. I figure I'll just play at my other hobbies until all this mess passes.

Baxter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Baxter »

Speaking from experience it seems the inability to get any response from the safety officers listed on the website is doing more to limit new members than promote range safety.
It sounds like a good idea but I don't think it's working as planned.
I guess there are other ranges.
I'll Keep
My God
My Guns
My Freedom

NRA Life Member TSRA member Texas Firearms Coalition member

eureka40
Posts in topic: 2

Post by eureka40 »

brainman wrote:Dang, Eureka. That is very generous of you. In these times of unavailability, I couldn't take you up on that offer. I do have the minimum I'm comfortable keeping on hand for emergencies, and I'm ok with that amount. I'm just not comfortable dipping into that when I don't when I'll be able to replace what I shoot. So thank you, but I'll be ok. I figure I'll just play at my other hobbies until all this mess passes.
OK then, just thought I would offer. And the offer still stands. When I joined the club we didn't have to do volunteer time, it was easier, but I think some yahoos slipped in and started to mess things up.
There was some damage done to some of the ranges by folks that just were not responsible enough to shoot there.

I don't get to go very often but I try very hard to be respectful to the range and to the other folks that shoot there. It seems to work well for me.

:txflag:
TSRA Life Memeber

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

brainman wrote:I finally finished my volunteer time. The first two weren't bad, but the last one was 5 hours of digging ditches. Not fun.

It's a great range; it's just too bad I don't have any ammo to spare at this point.
Doesn't mean you have to stop volunteering, I was doing the cleanup day every month for at least three years. But, after the mandatory volunteering was voted in, it got crowded and wasn't enough work consistently. Sorry I missed the ditch diggin' day! :evil2:
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

GibsonCRG

Post by GibsonCRG »

This seemed like a good thread to chime in on; I've been working (casually) to get a safety evaluation for the last 5 or 6 weeks. There was a little confusion as it looks like the ARC brought their website down (that had all the membership info on it) - possibly due to a site hack? - so I started emailing based on recommendations. So far I've worked through three of the eight evaluators, but hopefully I'll hit the jackpot at some point. All have responded very timely and been very friendly - but just too busy at the moment. I do agree that some level of coordination would be a big plus for new members, but maybe putting up the barrier to entry is intentional to keep out those with just passing or casual interest?

One thing that I noticed in the current membership information is that they no longer mention any "mandatory volunteerism"; rather, they say volunteering is "requested" of all members as that's what makes it a club. I also have zero problem with giving my time, but I do like having the option of when and where to do it.

I'll continue my quest to reach a safety officer who has time in their schedule, and I am looking forward to becoming in a member in the fullness of time.

Warhorse545

Post by Warhorse545 »

I was a member for several years and then gave it 7 or 8 years ago. It was back when they first started the with the RSO volunteers and it was not good. I broke no rules and had no unsafe habits. But being told you can not do this you can not do that over and over and I stating HAVE I DONE THAT and get back a NO over many days by the same few people cutting into what little time I had to shoot became more of a hassle then I wanted to deal with. Sounds like some things have changed. And for the better. I think I was a member for 6 or so years. Not one single complaint and I was at the range 3 or 4 times a week for the first 5 years. Then my work changed, had less time and the RSO thing was implemented ( and I understand the reasons ) but I feel that the volunteers were not vetted well, or just got on a power trip. First time they seen me on the range they had full rights to state the rules. I will give them a pass on second time. By the third time and getting the run down again was showing me the RSO's had issues. And getting the same lecture buy 2 different ones on the same day in less then 45 mins and both had given me the talk several times before, I chose not to renew. I see the leadership has changed some and who knows what kind of instructions the ROS at the time were given. It might not be on them but the BOD. I at the time voiced my concern with the BOD and emails went unanswered. So I chose to leave. I did not have time to attend the meetings in person at Luby's on Mopac at the times they were held. I fully understand that I chose to leave when I could have made more of a effort to address it.

It is a nice range, and it was cheaper then what Cooks now Reds was but it became an issue with me. All the above is old news. And looks as if it has changed since then. I hope it has. For the record, I spent many a fun day shooting. Attended a couple of C and R shooting gatherings there. Liked the set up and it had great upkeep. And most of the volunteers were great. I did more weed eating there then I want to think about :) Might be worth looking back into if it has changed. And they back then did have a 1000 yard set up back then. Was only Wednesday mornings and was at a single bench on the left half way from front gate to firing line. Range was dedicated at that time to those wishing to shoot 1000 yards. Not sure if that is still in place.
TSRA Life Member

GibsonCRG

Post by GibsonCRG »

Just wanted to update my post: I did reach an available safety officer on the 4th try, and we set up and completed the safety evaluation early one weekend morning. Nothing scary, just making sure that one knows basic safe handling of firearms, the basic range safety rules, and start soaking the applicant in the "every shot must hit the berm/backstop" mantra (with encroaching development all around them, this is a huge focus in their safety rules now). I attended the 2.5 hour orientation (history, general issues and range-specific uses/limits) and under their new bylaws, the board of directors will approve the membership application (rather than the general membership). It seems like, overall, the ARC is starting to recognize that their size needs some level of delegation and all the volunteers and RSO's I've seen so far have been nothing but friendly and helpful, even if somewhat overscheduled. I'll certainly post back after some actual experiences on the range, but so far everything I've seen indicates a very well-maintained property, good and dedicated people in the "management" ranks, and a very cost-effective way to get shooting in. The only downside (for me) is the 45 minute drive! I'm looking forward to some fun plinking as well as serious shooting in the coming months.

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

Thanks for the update! We live fairly close and I've been thinking over the benefits of a membership. Probably not quite yet for us, but soon.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”