2013 Knife Rights Bills

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Douva
Posts in topic: 11

Re: 2013 Knife Rights Bills

Post by Douva »

K.Mooneyham wrote:Douva, if you need proof, I can start a new thread tomorrow. I can call it "Anti-2A stories by the AP". I promise I will have no problems providing links to fill it up with. I'm NOT paranoid, I've just seen a LOT of anti-self-defense and anti-2A stories that came from the AP, and VERY, VERY few pro-2A, pro-self-defense stories from those folks.
Do you have any idea how many articles the AP publishes and/or distributes each day? Yes, some of them are slanted against gun rights. Some of them aren't. The media, in general, is poorly informed on MOST issues. The only reason their failures in covering gun rights stand out to you is because that is one area in which you happen to be relatively well informed. If you were equally well informed on natural gas production or farm subsidies, you'd be irritated about the AP's coverage of those issues.

Topic author
kf5nd
Posts in topic: 20

Post by kf5nd »

Rep. Dutton filed HB 1862 on 2/26/13. It seems this is like HB 936, but with no "CHL-like" conditionality. It just decriminalizes switchblade knives and the other named devices, BOOM, that's it, thank you. I like this bill. :mrgreen:
Sincerely,
Peter in Houston

Topic author
kf5nd

Post by kf5nd »

Knife preemption bill HB1299 hearing on March 13 in Austin. Can you be there to testify? Details here: http://bit.ly/12BnXBV
Sincerely,
Peter in Houston

Topic author
kf5nd

Post by kf5nd »

Texas KnifeRights Committee Alert! YOUR ACTION NEEDED NOW! http://bit.ly/Zuhtxc
Sincerely,
Peter in Houston

Topic author
kf5nd

Post by kf5nd »

We are looking to have about 6 dozen witnesses or less for 1299. We have Mr. Todd Rathner from Kniferights coming in, but we are looking for a few other names. Do you know of anyone that can come in to testify for the bill on Wednesday? If you do have them contact me.

Colin Huffines
Legislative Aid
Rep. Jonathan Stickland
colin.huffines@house.state.tx.us
Sincerely,
Peter in Houston

Douva

Post by Douva »

kf5nd wrote:We are looking to have about 6 dozen witnesses or less for 1299. We have Mr. Todd Rathner from Kniferights coming in, but we are looking for a few other names. Do you know of anyone that can come in to testify for the bill on Wednesday? If you do have them contact me.

Colin Huffines
Legislative Aid
Rep. Jonathan Stickland
If you missed the hearing, it can be viewed here:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audi ... 3031310480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The discussion on HB 1299 begins at the 1:27:13 mark.

Douva

Post by Douva »

Douva wrote:
kf5nd wrote:We are looking to have about 6 dozen witnesses or less for 1299. We have Mr. Todd Rathner from Kniferights coming in, but we are looking for a few other names. Do you know of anyone that can come in to testify for the bill on Wednesday? If you do have them contact me.

Colin Huffines
Legislative Aid
Rep. Jonathan Stickland
If you missed the hearing, it can be viewed here:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audi ... 3031310480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The discussion on HB 1299 begins at the 1:27:13 mark.
If anyone wants to see the "Texas Knife Quiz" I gave the committee members, a copy is attached to this post.
Attachments
HB1299_TX_Knife_Quiz_EMAIL.pdf
(225.47 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

Topic author
kf5nd

Post by kf5nd »

RealPlayer doesn't work on this Linux box I'm using. I can't view the movie.

"Left pending in committee" - until when? When is the next meeting? When will they vote on it?
Sincerely,
Peter in Houston

Douva

Post by Douva »

kf5nd wrote:RealPlayer doesn't work on this Linux box I'm using. I can't view the movie.

"Left pending in committee" - until when? When is the next meeting? When will they vote on it?

Rep. Dutton said at the beginning of the meeting that all bills would be left pending for one week, to let members study the issues before voting on them. That's pretty standard operating procedure in the Texas House.

EDITED TO ADD: Chairman Dutton seemed very supportive. Vice Chair Alvarado and Rep. Rodriguez were the only vocal opponents.

Topic author
kf5nd

urgent update from KnifeRights.org on Texas situation

Post by kf5nd »

March 15, 2013: Knife Rights Director of Legislative Affairs Todd Rathner lobbied and testified in support of House Bill HB1299 this week in Austin, Texas. HB1299, sponsored by Representative Jonathan Stickland, would enact Knife Law Preemption in Texas.

CLICK HERE TAKE ACTION NOW
Sincerely,
Peter in Houston

jamullinstx
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The House Jurisprudence Committee

Post by jamullinstx »

The preemption bill is important. Freaking San Antonio bans ALL folders. Absolutely ridiculous!
kf5nd wrote:The House Jurisprudence Committee will hear the two knife rights bills first. HB936 was filed by Rep. Dutton (D) and HB1299 by Rep. Stickland (R). On this basis, it seems more likely that HB936 will be treated more favorably by the chair, who is a Democrat. Personally, I think Dutton's bill is more urgent than Stickland's, though both are important. We have to begin to decriminalize knives in Texas now, and HB936 does that. HB1299 just means that cities can't make laws more crazy than the State laws already are, which doesn't help anyone on Sept. 1, 2013 if HB936 is not enacted into law.

My recommendation: Everyone please call or write the Chair and Vice-Chair and start talking to them about these bills. Remind the Chair that the author is Rep. Dutton, a Democrat. Remind the Vice-Chair that the bill advances the cause of our Second Amendment Rights, that the Second applies to any "arms", that would include knives.

If you are represented by the one of the other members of the committee, please call them to discuss these bills.

Contact info for House members is here.Thank you so much for your help! - Peter Wang

The House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee

Chair - Rep. Abel Herrero (D), Corpus Christi

Vice Chair - Rep. Stefani Carter (R), Dallas. She is the first African-American Republican to serve in the Texas House, and apparently a rising star

Rep. Lon Burnam

Rep. Terry Canales

Rep. Bryan Hughes

Rep. Jeff Leach

Rep. Joe Moody

Rep. Matt Schaefer

Rep. Steve Toth

Douva

Post by Douva »

Douva wrote:
kf5nd wrote:RealPlayer doesn't work on this Linux box I'm using. I can't view the movie.

Rep. Dutton said at the beginning of the meeting that all bills would be left pending for one week, to let members study the issues before voting on them. That's pretty standard operating procedure in the Texas House.

EDITED TO ADD: Chairman Dutton seemed very supportive. Vice Chair Alvarado and Rep. Rodriguez were the only vocal opponents.
More than two weeks after the committee hearing on HB 1299 (knife preemption), the bill is still pending in the House Committee on Urban Affairs. Now might be a good time for supporters of this bill to make their voices heard to committee members.

Douva

Post by Douva »

Douva wrote:
Douva wrote:

More than two weeks after the committee hearing on HB 1299 (knife preemption), the bill is still pending in the House Committee on Urban Affairs. Now might be a good time for supporters of this bill to make their voices heard to committee members.
Texas House Committee on Urban Affairs:

Harold V. Dutton (D) - Committee Chair - (512) 463-0510 - Harold.Dutton@house.state.tx.us
Carol Alvarado (D) - Committee Vice-Chair - (512) 463-0732 - Carol.Alvarado@house.state.tx.us
Rafael Anchia (D) - (512) 463-0746 - Rafael.Anchia@house.state.tx.us
Gary Elkins (R) - (512) 463-0722 - Gary.Elkins@house.state.tx.us
Jeff Leach (R) - (512) 463-0544 - Jeff.Leach@house.state.tx.us
Justin Rodriguez (D) - (512) 463-0669 - Justin.Rodriguez@house.state.tx.us
Scott Sanford (R) - (512) 463-0356 - Scott.Sanford@house.state.tx.us

Topic author
kf5nd

Post by kf5nd »

HB1862, the switchblade decriminalization bill, will be heard in committee in Austin on Tuesday, April 9. More details here:

http://texaskniferights.blogspot.com/20 ... ation.html
Sincerely,
Peter in Houston

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”