DPS Losing Documents?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
CosmosMpower
Posts in topic: 3

DPS Losing Documents?

Post by CosmosMpower »

I'm not impressed with the whole DPS process to apply for this CHL to the point that I'm getting ready to just cancel my application. I was very thorough going through their checklist of items to send in. I scanned them all in and made sure they were .jpg and reasonable file sizes. I did the application online and then sent in an inquiry using the contact us page and attached all my documents. Fast forward 3 weeks later I get an email saying no attachments were received.

I then did the checklist again and double checked it twice and mailed in all my docs. 3 weeks later I check the status online and it shows all docs received, proceeding to BG check...great. Another 4 weeks go by with no updates. Today I check and it says I'm missing my proof of citizenship. I know for sure I included a copy of my valid U.S. Passport for proof of citizenship. I call and wait on hold for 20 minutes until I speak to some dummy that tells me they definitely did not receive it but they received everything else. He then told me that they don't even begin the BG check until they receive all docs.

He tells me to upload it using the contact us page again and it should take another month give or take to finish up the rest of the process making it about 3 months total. Why in the hell would the website show that they received everything for a solid month and then all of a sudden tell me they did not receive my citizenship documentation. Who is running this backwards ridiculous agency?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: DPS Losing Documents?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

CosmosMpower wrote:I'm not impressed with the whole DPS process to apply for this CHL to the point that I'm getting ready to just cancel my application. I was very thorough going through their checklist of items to send in. I scanned them all in and made sure they were .jpg and reasonable file sizes. I did the application online and then sent in an inquiry using the contact us page and attached all my documents. Fast forward 3 weeks later I get an email saying no attachments were received.

I then did the checklist again and double checked it twice and mailed in all my docs. 3 weeks later I check the status online and it shows all docs received, proceeding to BG check...great. Another 4 weeks go by with no updates. Today I check and it says I'm missing my proof of citizenship. I know for sure I included a copy of my valid U.S. Passport for proof of citizenship. I call and wait on hold for 20 minutes until I speak to some dummy that tells me they definitely did not receive it but they received everything else. He then told me that they don't even begin the BG check until they receive all docs.

He tells me to upload it using the contact us page again and it should take another month give or take to finish up the rest of the process making it about 3 months total. Why in the heck would the website show that they received everything for a solid month and then all of a sudden tell me they did not receive my citizenship documentation. Who is running this backwards ridiculous agency?
DPS is doing a tremendous job and is issuing new CHL's in about 30 days instead of 60 days as required by law. Obviously, with 15,000 and 17,000 applications a month, there can be occasional problems.

If you can't state facts without sweeping derogatory comments, then don't post.

Chas.

Topic author
CosmosMpower

Post by CosmosMpower »

Fair enough but facts are facts. If any company in the United States operated a business/service in this manner they would be run out of business in a few months. The technology is inconsistent (uploaded docs magically go missing). The people handling the physical documents are losing documents. Scary enough that a copy of my passport with some personal information is now lost who knows where. I shouldn't be on hold for 20+ minutes every single time I call or just get a generic message that they are overwhelmed and an automated message hangs up on me.

I don't know a single person that received their CHL in 30 days or less. The other 4 people that took an early Jan CHL class with me all submitted their paperwork/prints at the same time and none of us have received plastic yet. Two of the people are in manufacturing but that is still looking at 60+ days. I will be looking at about 80-90 days at this rate and I sent everything in correctly, TWICE.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dave2 »

CosmosMpower wrote:I shouldn't be on hold for 20+ minutes every single time I call or just get a generic message that they are overwhelmed and an automated message hangs up on me.
Well if there's no budget for more employees (or no time to train them), then it's that or a busy signal. Would you rather have the state fail to meet its budget? Or talk to someone who's useless because they haven't had time to get trained?

Everything and everyone related to guns and the gun industry has been under constant stress and non-stop delays since this madness with potential gun bans began. It's not reasonable to expect everyone to be able ramp-up staff and production so quickly.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

paustin

Post by paustin »

I think with the volume that DPS is handling, that about 60 days isn't bad (seems to be going rate). No one likes waiting, but we all know up front it won't be quick. Nevertheless can try ones patience for sure.

:txflag:
Last edited by paustin on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
______
Sig Sauer 226, 229
Glock 27
Beretta Nano

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

You guys have it made. The DPS is handling 2-3 times the applications they were a few years ago and still getting them out in 30-60 days for most. Granted there are a few that take longer, but even those are coming quicker than years past. It wasn't that long ago that the wait time was 90+ days. So be happy folks. Forget about it for a minimum of 60 days and you might find a surprize in the mail in 45 days or so.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

I understand your frustration, but I think you are more the exception than the rule. As stated before, they are processing 15,000 to 17,000 apps each month. I think they are doing a great job at "churning" them out at around 60 days. Other than the waiting time, the process has been easy. I had more trouble re-newing my Commercial Drivers License than getting my CHL. My status changed to mailed yesterday. April 1 will be 60 days from the day I mailed mine. Hopefully will get to me before then, but just knowing its on its way is a great feeling. Again, sorry for your troubles, but thats why I mailed mine. I don't trust these new fangled computers. lol
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

The group within DPS that handles CHL (RSD) has moved personnel from several other areas to work on CHL related things. They have seen a tremendous increase in applications without gaining additional funding or personnel. The money from CHL apps does not go to DPS, it goes into the general fund and they (DPS RSD) haven't been given any additional monies to handle the increased load. They are doing the best they can with what they have. As stated above, it can be a frustrating wait, but could be much worse.

jaybeau
Banned

Post by jaybeau »

I'm not sure who is getting their CHL in 30 days. But here are my facts and I personally know of several others who have the exact same timeline as me.
I did the online registration on 1/17/2013. Fingerprints on 2/1/2013. Class on 2/16. Mailed in complete packet to DPS on 2/19 and received by DPS on 2/21. It is now 33 days for us and we are still getting the same message on the DPS website
'Waiting on materials'.
The other people I know are still 'Waiting on materials' when DPS has had them for 33 days.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

RPBrown wrote:You guys have it made. The DPS is handling 2-3 times the applications they were a few years ago and still getting them out in 30-60 days for most. Granted there are a few that take longer, but even those are coming quicker than years past. It wasn't that long ago that the wait time was 90+ days. So be happy folks. Forget about it for a minimum of 60 days and you might find a surprize in the mail in 45 days or so.
This Thursday will be 1 month since my app and all other docs were delivered to Austin, and Im still not in the system, shows up as ERROR. Funny though the $140 check I mailed cleared my bank on 3/19 so they have atleast opened my packet and got their money. Still waiting for DPS to send me my letter to go have my finger prints done.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

nightmare69 wrote:
RPBrown wrote:You guys have it made. The DPS is handling 2-3 times the applications they were a few years ago and still getting them out in 30-60 days for most. Granted there are a few that take longer, but even those are coming quicker than years past. It wasn't that long ago that the wait time was 90+ days. So be happy folks. Forget about it for a minimum of 60 days and you might find a surprize in the mail in 45 days or so.
This Thursday will be 1 month since my app and all other docs were delivered to Austin, and Im still not in the system, shows up as ERROR. Funny though the $140 check I mailed cleared my bank on 3/19 so they have atleast opened my packet and got their money. Still waiting for DPS to send me my letter to go have my finger prints done.

If your check has been cashed, then they have recieved it. Like I said, forget about it until at least the 60 day mark. The changes on the website are not actual time. Even though it says not recieved, it may actually be in back ground check, or further. When I got my last renewal in the mail (74 days) the website still said processing
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

RPBrown wrote:
If your check has been cashed, then they have recieved it. Like I said, forget about it until at least the 60 day mark. The changes on the website are not actual time. Even though it says not recieved, it may actually be in back ground check, or further. When I got my last renewal in the mail (74 days) the website still said processing

Im trying to forget, just be nice to know that Ive been entered into the system when I log on to check. Getting this Error no information found message is getting old. No way Im in the background check cause I have not got my finger prints done and cannot get them done without the letter from DPS.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jaybeau wrote:I'm not sure who is getting their CHL in 30 days. But here are my facts and I personally know of several others who have the exact same timeline as me.
I did the online registration on 1/17/2013. Fingerprints on 2/1/2013. Class on 2/16. Mailed in complete packet to DPS on 2/19 and received by DPS on 2/21. It is now 33 days for us and we are still getting the same message on the DPS website
'Waiting on materials'.
The other people I know are still 'Waiting on materials' when DPS has had them for 33 days.
The vast majority of new students in my classes are reporting that they receive their CHL's in 30 days or so. The best turnaround time reported to me in recent months was 22 days and the worst in the last year or so was 56 days.

Undoubtedly the huge increase in applications will eventually slow the response times and that may have already happened to some extent. (I usually teach only one class per month.) I don't believe that updating the website is a high priority task because it will take people away from processing applications. Plus, at the current volume, I don't know how many man hours would be required to keep each person's record up to date.

I understand the frustration that comes with a delay or glitch in the system that causes applicants extra effort. When that happens to you, you don't care about statistics or how fast others are getting their CHL's. It's your ox getting gored and your upset. However, please don't let this frustration prompt a condemnation of the entire DPS CHL division. Only a very few years ago, it was taking 6 to 11 months to get a license and it was virtually impossible to renew your CHL before it expired. It was so bad I was preparing a multi-plaintiff case against DPS. Things changed quickly. The DPS Director resigned, a new Director was appointed and he changed the management of the CHL division. Numerous changes were made by the new head of the CHL divisions and the improvement was both prompt and sweeping. DPS is doing a tremendous job overall, the few problem applications notwithstanding.

Chas.

OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:DPS is doing a tremendous job and is issuing new CHL's in about 30 days instead of 60 days as required by law. Obviously, with 15,000 and 17,000 applications a month, there can be occasional problems.

If you can't state facts without sweeping derogatory comments, then don't post.

Chas.
:iagree: :patriot: :txflag:
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

Topic author
CosmosMpower

Post by CosmosMpower »

My beef isn't with the time. I knew going in that it was going to take up to 2-3 months. I'm upset with the extremely poor communication and the fact they lost my attached electronic docs once and then lost a copy of my U.S. Passport when I physically mailed together with all my other items which they did receive. I'm not happy that a form of I.D. like that is floating out there who knows where. I'm sure they are all working their tails off but there needs to be a better level of organization and communication.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”