Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bagman45
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Kid Friendly Gun Ranges

Post by bagman45 »

Hey folks, I'm looking for recommendations for "kid friendly" ranges in the DFW area. I'm just getting back into shooting after many years of being out of commission with arthritic hips, so have not been to an outdoor range since Elm Fork was "Winchester Range" ;-) . I want to take my 10 and 15 year old boys out to shoot some .22's (pistol and rifle), and maybe a 9mm or 38 special round or two. Would prefer outdoor. They've done airsoft and BB guns, so are ready to move up a notch. Garland range looks like a good bet, but haven't been out there to check it out, as I've been traveling non-stop lately. I appreciate any guidance you can give. Thanks!

The_Busy_Mom

Re: Kid Friendly Gun Ranges

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

Shot my NRA Instructor Range Proficiency at Ammo Depot in Caddo Mills. It was really nice because it is semi-indoor/semi-outdoor. The lanes are outdoors, but have a cover that is built up around the lanes. And another range is Quail Creek, but it is on the Tarrant County side of the metroplex and a good way from Garland.

:txflag: TBM
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

There's an outdoor range off of Luna Road just north of 348 (Northwest Highway) that I used to shoot at when I lived up there. I can't remember the name but if you google shooting range on Luna road you should be able to find it.

I don't think my daughter ever shot there but she went with me a few times and there were no issues with that.

It was well run and safe when I shot there (that's been 4+ years ago).

Good luck.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

RJGold wrote:There's an outdoor range off of Luna Road just north of 348 (Northwest Highway) that I used to shoot at when I lived up there. I can't remember the name but if you google shooting range on Luna road you should be able to find it.

I don't think my daughter ever shot there but she went with me a few times and there were no issues with that.

It was well run and safe when I shot there (that's been 4+ years ago).

Good luck.
That is Elm Fork.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Ark03

Post by Ark03 »

The new Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville, TX is very kid friendly. They have two big bays with a ton of lanes, good RO's, and .22 nights for $5 per child.

http://eaglegunrangetx.com/

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

I'm a big fan of Extreme Defensive Shooting Range in Royse City. It's a private, no frills, self-manned range. Cost is $250/2 years, no range fees, unlimited usage for you & your family. You can (and I have) take friends out there to shoot with you too. As it is un-manned, you must act as your own RSO, so I would recommend taking an NRA RSO course and make sure you teach the kiddos the rules.

camjr

Post by camjr »

Ark03 wrote:The new Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville, TX is very kid friendly. They have two big bays with a ton of lanes, good RO's, and .22 nights for $5 per child.

^^^This^^^

agwrestler

Post by agwrestler »

RottenApple wrote:I'm a big fan of Extreme Defensive Shooting Range in Royse City. It's a private, no frills, self-manned range. Cost is $250/2 years, no range fees, unlimited usage for you & your family. You can (and I have) take friends out there to shoot with you too. As it is un-manned, you must act as your own RSO, so I would recommend taking an NRA RSO course and make sure you teach the kiddos the rules.

Are there any clubs/ranges similar to this on the NW side of the metroplex?

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

agwrestler wrote: Are there any clubs/ranges similar to this on the NW side of the metroplex?
Shoot Smart (IH35W at the Golden Triangle ext, head south on the service road) has a minimum age of 8 years for shooters accompanyed by an adult. I THINK they've done some special kids-shooting type of events, but since my kiddoh is amost 30, and the oldest grandchild is almost 5, I haven't paid as much attention as I will in a couple of years.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

race4beer

Post by race4beer »

Ark03 wrote:The new Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville, TX is very kid friendly. They have two big bays with a ton of lanes, good RO's, and .22 nights for $5 per child.

:iagree:

I've taken my 8yo daughter there and they were great, supportive, and helpful. The .22 nights are great fun.

GWE Chally

Post by GWE Chally »

B-Tactical in Caddo Mills is kid friendly.

http://www.B-Tactical.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Scott
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

n5wd wrote:
agwrestler wrote: Are there any clubs/ranges similar to this on the NW side of the metroplex?
Shoot Smart (IH35W at the Golden Triangle ext, head south on the service road) has a minimum age of 8 years for shooters accompanyed by an adult. I THINK they've done some special kids-shooting type of events, but since my kiddoh is amost 30, and the oldest grandchild is almost 5, I haven't paid as much attention as I will in a couple of years.
Shoot Smart has youth leagues a couple times a year. My son shot in the league this summer and loved it.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

Munk

Post by Munk »

Top Gun is kid friendly, too.
III%

Return to “Shooting Ranges”