Attack II - quiet or loud

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ericstac
Posts in topic: 2

Attack II - quiet or loud

Post by Ericstac »

Based off my experience yesterday in the other Attack thread, I was put in a situation where I was in a one exit room in a house and an intruder entered the house.

I've always wondered is it better to be loud and yell something, or be quiet and sneak up on the intruder.

The intruder yesterday thought no one was home when he made entry. I instinctively chose the quiet way and now feel that is the correct answer but wanted to see what others felt is right.

To me being loud lets the intruder know where you are and that someone is there. I prefer the act of surprise when I shoot and not have them possibly armed and ready or worse, hunting me down.

Topic author
Ericstac
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Attack II - quiet or loud

Post by Ericstac »

On the flip side this intruder ended up being my moms friend down the street dropping something off.

I explained to my mom how her friend should enter a home from now on. :shock:

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

Ericstac wrote:To me being loud lets the intruder know where you are and that someone is there. I prefer the act of surprise when I shoot and not have them possibly armed and ready or worse, hunting me down.
Depends on who is home with me. If I am alone, I may prefer surprise. If I am defending my wife and children, I will be loud.

There is no sneaking into my house anyway. With my German Shepherd serving as the "hospitality greeter", it is already going to be loud.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Ericstac wrote:To me being loud lets the intruder know where you are and that someone is there. I prefer the act of surprise when I shoot and not have them possibly armed and ready or worse, hunting me down.
Although I agree to some extent, the way you state it makes it sound a little like you set a trap for the intruder, and admitting that in public might not be the best thing to do.

That said, I expect the average intruder to know that he doesn't belong there, as he had to get through a locked door to get there, and possibly past a passel of dogs, thus absolving me from having to give more warning than the "snick" of my shotgun's safety being set to off. That sound warns them that the next sound they hear might be the last, and it will consist of the "Ka" and if I am good enough they will never hear the "boom."
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

goose

Post by goose »

I am going to vote loud. I tend to think that most (some vague, made up internet number over 50%) intruders are going to be running for the door if they know someone is home. And as others have said, because I am likely to be defending my family, i'll take the 50+% chance they'll leave and I don't have to do anything else. That said in a situation involving me defending my family we'll likely be barricading up and calling 911 anyway. If they know I'm there and choose not to leave, they won't likely make it through the barricade/door (without new holes in them) to ever see me.

Also paraphrasing others, most folks that keep "defensive" dogs, also do so with the belief that burglars/intruders want to avoid attention. When they have to deal with a lot of noise or things that might draw attention, they move on. Just another version of voting loud.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

fm2

Post by fm2 »

I think quiet is a good choice. If you see them first, you have at least 2 advantages. Always look to stack the deck in your favor.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

karder

Post by karder »

I am not sure there is a correct answer as there are so many variables. My instinct is to say I would be quiet. Observe the situation, determine the best course of action, and react decisively. If the intruder(s) are not aware of your presence, you may be able to better weigh the options of engaging or retreating. Once they are alerted to the fact someone is there, their response will change the parameters and will limit your options.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Quiet and sneaky if possible. All they should notice is the flash.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

karder wrote:I am not sure there is a correct answer as there are so many variables. ...
Or rather, there is always a correct answer. It just depends on the circumstances which one it is.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”